Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:59:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Liking bands you're not supposed to like

Started by Backstage With Slowdive, September 19, 2008, 07:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

Well I've never cared for Snow Patrol, but I have to listen to them right now because they're on Chris Evans' show on Radio 2 this minute, and so is Paul McCartney. And he is my favourite man.

Part Chimp

Quote from: Jemble Fred on December 18, 2008, 04:35:35 PM
How is 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me' not one of the ultimate 90's anthems?

Christ, I'd forgotten about that milksop cunt of a singer from Travis.

Why does it always rain on me?
Is it because I lied when I was seventeen?
Why does it always rain on me?
Even when the sun is shining
I can't avoid the lightning

That's one of the anthems of the 90s is it? I think it falls more into the class of song that people listen to now, thinking they like it, but are in fact horrified to discover what shit taste their younger selves had.

Jemble Fred

Well it's not a personal favourite on a par with Flowers In The Window or Tied To The Nineties, but it still beats anything from these bands that have rushed into Travis' footsteps. And seeing as I always felt Travis were a sort of cut-price mix of Oasis, Dodgy and Radiohead, it's little wonder that so much mainstream 21st century rock sounds so diluted.

purlieu

Well yes, Fran Healy has always been a second rate lyricist.  I still reckon "in the hearse/going through your purse" is possibly the worst lyric I've ever heard, other than maybe Damon Albarn's phenomenal "the road is hot and dusty/the desert needs a beer/if we go and blow it up/we might disappear".
But he can write a fantastic pop melody, and there's never been anything pretentious about them, other than the 'political' promotional campaign that came with 12 Memories.  Which is why I rate them above the rest of these bands.  Who were the others?  Starsailor and Athlete.  Oh, and Idlewild when Roddy decided he preferred folk music to punk, but didn't realise he couldn't actually write it.

In a hearse / going through your purse?

Had he borrowed Noel Gallagher's copy of 'My First Ladybird Book of Rhyming Words'?