Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:20:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Completism

Started by scarecrow, November 16, 2008, 02:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty McFly

if we're talking completism as downloading live material, bookmark http://www.archive.org/browse.php?collection=etree&field=%2Fmetadata%2Fcreator , free downloads up the ying-yang.

Custard

I'm really anal when it comes to my favourites bands/artists. I have to own/download every available track or IT SENDS ME MENTAL. I even check all their releases on Wikipedia & Allmusic from time to time to confirm I have every last track. A bit like a jealous untrusting husband following his wife to make sure she really is going out shopping with her friends like she claims. Ahem.

To be fair, I only do this for a handful of acts, and I'm usually happy enough with 1 or 2 decent live bootlegs for each, so i'm not a proper obsessive (yet), but yeah, I do feel a bit sad at times. Still, as long as something brings you joy and doesn't involve pervy things with children or animals, it's all good innit.

Marty McFly

Quote from: Shameless on November 19, 2008, 11:05:06 AM
I'm really anal when it comes to my favourites bands/artists. I have to own/download every available track or IT SENDS ME MENTAL. I even check all their releases on Wikipedia & Allmusic from time to time to confirm I have every last track. A bit like a jealous untrusting husband following his wife to make sure she really is going out shopping with her friends like she claims. Ahem.

To be fair, I only do this for a handful of acts, and I'm usually happy enough with 1 or 2 decent live bootlegs for each, so i'm not a proper obsessive (yet), but yeah, I do feel a bit sad at times. Still, as long as something brings you joy and doesn't involve pervy things with children or animals, it's all good innit.

+1

good thing I never got into Blind Faith.

or The Animals.

(sorry)

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: scarecrow on November 18, 2008, 07:54:21 PM
I guess '70s bands tended to use album tracks as bsides..

Not always the case. There are some great 7" and 12" b-sides that don't appear on albums. Sometimes that was because artists couldn't afford to put out an album and sometimes it was because they had more decent material than would fit on an LP.

not really. i mean it'd take a bit of time but... doesn't the average smoker spend about £5 every few/couple of days on their habit?

I know someone who spent £60 on a prostitute in Amsterdam. Which probably isn't the best comparative case study to use when justifying all my financial decisions, but you know...

I guess it depends on how much money you've got versus how many "interests". That said, unless money's no object, surely it makes more sense to spend the money you spend on poor quality (and probably expensive) rarities by one artist on good music by other artists instead? 48 albums represents a lot of time, money and storage space to dedicate to just one artist when there's such a vast amount of music out there.

non capisco

I had a feeling there's be a 'Cut The Crap' tag, it was certainly the first one that sprang to my mind when I read the thread title. Unfortunately I did shell out for it, as I got into The Clash a good few years before I had a broadband connection. Comfortably the worst album I own. I don't even like 'This Is England', the one you're meant to like.

People have repeatedly told me that 'Cut The Crap' is, in fact, nothing but crap, so I've never bothered listening to it.  Is it really so bad?

glitch

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 16, 2008, 04:32:16 PM
A third issue is whether it's a good idea to encourage artists to release previously unreleased material. Usually there's a good reason tracks didn't make it onto an album - because they just weren't good enough. Talking Heads are a good example here. Most of the bonus material on the CD re-releases is pretty poor. I likewise wasted money buying previously unreleased Skinny Puppy material which I hardly ever listen to.

Curious about the Puppy material - are you referring to stuff like Puppy Gristle?

Brap 3/4 is still my favourite Puppy album, which seems to baffle most other fans.

I've pretty much given up on completism. I try and get as much as I can by certain bands (UNKLE, some breakcore artists, Pop Will Eat Itself) but don't bother with expensive auction stuff. I'd rather have a CD from a different band than a reissue.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: glitch on November 22, 2008, 09:33:13 PM
Curious about the Puppy material - are you referring to stuff like Puppy Gristle?

Brap 3/4 is still my favourite Puppy album, which seems to baffle most other fans.

I was thinking of Paradigm Shift which has got stuff by Puppy, Download, Doubting Thomas and other side projects. All tracks on it sound like leftovers from what are otherwise good projects. Okay, except for The Power by Aduck which is pretty good and slightly undermines my argument.

glitch

Ah. I know what you mean about that "album" - although I prefer the Download track to the Aduck one :)

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: trotsky assortment on November 20, 2008, 09:59:32 AM
People have repeatedly told me that 'Cut The Crap' is, in fact, nothing but crap, so I've never bothered listening to it.  Is it really so bad?

This Is England was the first time I ever heard, or heard of, The Clash, in the top 40 rundown, and I really liked it. It was quite a few years later that I learned they'd started in the 70s and that the mid 80s stuff was utterly despised.

A little while ago I downloaded TIE from Soulseek and thought it was terrible. I suppose you can only like it if you've literally never heard anything else by them at all.