Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:12:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Blur reform

Started by purlieu, December 09, 2008, 12:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backstage With Slowdive

ThickAndCreamy

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on December 11, 2008, 10:47:29 PM
Is that sarcasm?

No, I don't think it'll sell out instantly. I think many people will be like me, and pass on this because Blur just aren't that epically important and aren't offering anything new, to be worth chucking away spare cash on just before Xmas when I have no idea what my financial plight will be next spring. I saw them at Reading Festival 1999, wasn't too fussed about Think Tank, so nothing new's happened to get worked up about. Also I got burned buying that MBV ticket which ended up unused as I was in hospital on the night, so I'm not doing long-term bookings until I'm cured of cancer from now on.

lipsink

Quote from: non capisco on December 11, 2008, 06:42:08 PM
The main bit I remember from that was Damon Albarn giving a brass section he was recording some film soundtrack with a right stroppy bollocking, and one of them audibly making an "ooooooooo-oooh, get her!" noise just before the scene cut to something else. I think Albarn might even have tripped over something whilst huffily exiting.

That's right. "We haven't got time to fuck around like this!"
He then said later on once he'd calmed down: "Yeah, I was a bit tough on them. But I got it out of them in the end." Prick!

Crabwalk

Tickets for Friday sold out in ten minutes - and of course tickets for a Thursday show suddenly appear....

no_offenc

Jesus F Christ, £45 a pop?  As cunty as it's going to sound, if it were... say, 20 quid cheaper, or even 10 quid cheaper, I'd be all up on this shit.

Crabwalk

£45 plus £3.60 booking fee, plus another £3 for postage. Basically £50 a ticket. The support had better be blinding.

Spoiler alert
Amadou and Mariam?
[close]

Duckula

Just got a text from my Dad, he's bought tickets. What a nice surprise, at least I didn't have to fork over for them.

Ronnie the Raincoat

I was there by 9am but still it didn't give me the option for Friday.  So I have 2 for Thursday instead.

TheWizard

I am in for Thursday. Should be able to go to Glastonbury then have a couple of days off before Hyde Park. Excellent.

Brundle-Fly

Apparently Kaiser Chiefs are going to support. I wonder if the recently reformed Blur favourites, The Specials will be in the frame too?

Backstage With Slowdive

You might as well get Menswear back together as well.

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on December 13, 2008, 10:29:12 PM
You might as well get Menswear back together as well.
By the way BWS, you lied. You said it would not sell out, and for that I believe you to truly be an untrustworthy man. However I still managed to get tickets for Thursday so I must at least partially forgive you for your sins.

I still think it was rather rude of you to not even apologise after this misdeed, I truly believed you were a better man than biggytitbo.

You probably are better though, but biggy is still more intriguingly odd.

Backstage With Slowdive

No - check the words. I said "I don't think it'll sell out instantly". That was true, I didn't think that. The fact that it did is completely irrelevant. I was asked about my opinion and I gave a correct and truthful account of it.

biggytitbo lost all credibility for me when he claimed Doctor Who couldn't regenerate into a woman because "he thinks he's a man", or whatever he said. The effect of the words was to make all his arguments and claims on every subject instantly collapse into dust.

ThickAndCreamy

I never knew there was a time when biggytitbo had any form of credibility.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 13, 2008, 06:08:40 PM
Apparently Kaiser Chiefs are going to support. I wonder if the recently reformed Blur favourites, The Specials will be in the frame too?

Are they?  Last I heard was they were begging to be the support band, but no confirmation had been given.  Probably won't do them any favours.

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on December 14, 2008, 10:36:08 AM
I never knew there was a time when biggytitbo had any form of credibility.

Just after Different Class came out. It was a different world.

CaledonianGonzo

Though it's better to be a shite indie band I suppose than a band more famous for its t-shirts than its music

no_offenc

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on December 14, 2008, 03:23:55 PM
Inevitably:

http://www.nme.com/news/nme/41622

As much as Mogwai don't really do anything for me, their acknowledgement of Metalocalypse there was rather amusing.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Mogwai: Stop Trying To Be Like The Day Today

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on December 15, 2008, 01:00:52 PM
Mogwai: Stop Trying To Be Like The Day Today

Makes a change from ripping off Slint.

Quote from: NMEMogwai have reopened their feud... in 1999...Blur refused to be drawn into a war of words.

So it wasn't actually a "feud", due to one side not giving a toss? Really, just a more publicised version of the non-fracas when insignificant band Ideal released a single called Richey Is Dead, and MSP sensibly didn't comment? Speaking of which, Mogwai were a complete joke when they did their pathetic, desperate "we're no sell-outs" act in NME in 1999 since they'd already done MSP's arena tour, helping to shift copies of This Is My Truth to Mondeo drivers. Blathering on about Bill Hicks and Stanley Kubrick when it's a safe bet you'd hardly heard of the latter until he died a few weeks earlier. Just fuck off back to college and become teachers, it's all you're good for.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

I accidentally got a ticket for Thursday when my mates are going Friday, because I am a massive idiot. Any suggestions on how to go about finding someone to swap with? Alternatively, I will have to find someone to tag along with and am open to offers from here!

PaulTMA

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on December 16, 2008, 02:50:40 PM
Makes a change from ripping off Slint.

So it wasn't actually a "feud", due to one side not giving a toss? Really, just a more publicised version of the non-fracas when insignificant band Ideal released a single called Richey Is Dead, and MSP sensibly didn't comment? Speaking of which, Mogwai were a complete joke when they did their pathetic, desperate "we're no sell-outs" act in NME in 1999 since they'd already done MSP's arena tour, helping to shift copies of This Is My Truth to Mondeo drivers. Blathering on about Bill Hicks and Stanley Kubrick when it's a safe bet you'd hardly heard of the latter until he died a few weeks earlier. Just fuck off back to college and become teachers, it's all you're good for.

It was the theatre tour for TIMTTMY that Mogwai supported them on.  The 'No Sell Out!' interview was embarrassing, not only did Braithwaite say words to the effect of believing their decision to be an instrumental band was as radical as Bob Dylan going electric or Woody Guthrie standing up to fascism.  Even more unfortunately, from this point onwards they would cease producing any worthwhile music.

Backstage With Slowdive

I thought they did the stadia? Catatonia did the following leg of the tour.

Mogwai were just Slowdive without the tunes.

Spiteface

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on December 18, 2008, 01:09:55 PM
I thought they did the stadia? Catatonia did the following leg of the tour.

Mogwai were just Slowdive without the tunes.

Mogwai only did the theatre tour. Catatonia did the December arena tour.

To be honest, right now I'd take new Mogwai material over anything Albarn's involved in lately.