Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 21, 2024, 01:27:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TERF Crowd: The Terrifying Transphobia of Graham Linehan

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, October 15, 2023, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elfking

I think it's a mixture of Glinner not being overly palatable to a lot of TERFs, burning a lot of bridges in the media, not  actually having anything new to say because it's all on Twitter and just there not actually being that many transphobes who really care.

I really think the book was boosted when it was announced by bulk orders from the publisher, Glinner himself or others but as soon as that went away it plummeted immediately into irrelevence. He's just not as interesting or smart as he thinks he is.

As for the RTD stuff... It shows a staggering lack of self-awareness for straight men to sit around criticising LGBT people for the language they use. Imagnie them thinking they have more of a handle on the LGBT community than actual LGBT people. It's peak madness. Then again, Glinner has spent the last however many years constantly talking over women about what women want despite them telling him to shut up so it shouldn't be a surprise. He seems like a complete narcissist. I bet that if every other transphobe in the world suddenly did a 180 he would still be on this bandwagon because he would absolutely be unable to admit he was wrong.

Quote from: Jumblegraws on October 17, 2023, 09:26:56 AMYeah, I expected a bigger publicity tour and accompanying book sale boosts, but it doesn't seem to have come to much.

Jumblegraws

I can't wait for Doyle to stop returning Linehan's calls

lipsink

I mean, that doesn't look like a book launch. That just looks like two men having a drink in a Wetherspoons.

At this rate his next book lunch will be held at the car park behind Greggs.

buttgammon

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 17, 2023, 09:39:32 AM

That's the whole audience. It's suspiciously large compared to the book sales, it makes you wonder if any of them have actually read it.

Also, is that the back of a MAGA cap on the right?

jobotic

Quote from: Jumblegraws on October 17, 2023, 10:03:48 AMI can't wait for Doyle to stop returning Linehan's calls

I'd almost prefer it if it was the other way round. Despise Doyle.

Do they do anything that doesn't involve booze? They're like the EDL with wine instead of Stella.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: jobotic on October 17, 2023, 10:10:34 AMI'd almost prefer it if it was the other way round. Despise Doyle.
That would be funny too, but alas, Linehan probably needs Doyle more than Doyle needs Linehan, plus we'd get to enjoy a prolonged tantrum if Doyle ended up on the Linehan Enemies List.

Mx Wrongs

"Graham! Now I don't think we should count our chickens just yet, but I do think we might be heading back into the top 1000! And to think you said you were starting to despair. Now I asked Aunt Masie if she'd get a copy for Uncle Albert's Christmas, and she said she'd have a think about it. That'd be at least another 50 spots up the chart! See? There are still benefits to being so far down there, Graham. Every cloud. Every cloud, Graham."

I bet there are people glad they never wasted time and money on that musical.

phantom_power

Quote from: buttgammon on October 17, 2023, 10:10:16 AMAlso, is that the back of a MAGA cap on the right?

Isn't that hair? Which is ironic given Glinner's phase of mocking people with dyed hair in the past. Though I suppose he has mocked so many people for various benign traits (head angle, choice of neckwear) it would be harder to find something he hasn't had a go at

Going for RTD is so tone deaf. I doubt there are many who haven't furthered the cause of gay acceptance than him and I imagine he is pretty well loved by most people who aren't rabid transphobes. He is also very popular in general for Dr Who and his other TV shows

Grunt Work

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 16, 2023, 09:45:43 PMExactly.

I wonder if Glinner is also one of these people who complain about the newer installments in the Star Wars franchise being too woke, as if the cast of the original trilogy wasn't unusually diverse for the time.

Actually Mark Hamill is an ally isn't he? Has Glinner got his bananasaber out for him yet?

Hamill was an early one. He apologised for liking a JK terf up and Glinner was on him saying "Don't apologise!"

lipsink

Quote from: Jumblegraws on October 17, 2023, 10:15:35 AMThat would be funny too, but alas, Linehan probably needs Doyle more than Doyle needs Linehan, plus we'd get to enjoy a prolonged tantrum if Doyle ended up on the Linehan Enemies List.

Would be great to see one of them share some inappropriate WhatsApp messages ala Fox and Wootton.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Grunt Work on October 17, 2023, 10:42:08 AMHamill was an early one. He apologised for liking a JK terf up and Glinner was on him saying "Don't apologise!"

Stephen King did the same, as far as I can recall.

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on October 17, 2023, 11:26:08 AMStephen King did the same, as far as I can recall.

Yeah it was JK that threw the tantrum that time, unfollowing King and unliking all his tweets

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on October 17, 2023, 11:32:40 AMYeah it was JK that threw the tantrum that time, unfollowing King and unliking all his tweets

lol what a loser.

Uh, JK Rowling (JK Rowling) I meant, not you... if that wasn't clear.

greencalx

I am not sure that Amazon sales rankings have any meaning.

Blue Jam

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on October 17, 2023, 11:32:40 AMYeah it was JK that threw the tantrum that time, unfollowing King and unliking all his tweets

Wow... that's mature and definitely a worthwhile use of one's time. I'm sure Mr King was gutted.

Barry Admin

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on October 17, 2023, 11:33:49 AMlol what a loser.

Uh, JK Rowling (JK Rowling) I meant, not you... if that wasn't clear.

JK Rowling's lawyers chihuahua enters the thread excitedly.

fancywookiee

Quote from: buttgammon on October 17, 2023, 10:10:16 AMThat's the whole audience. It's suspiciously large compared to the book sales, it makes you wonder if any of them have actually read it.

Also, is that the back of a MAGA cap on the right?

Feels like even making a "there are dozens of us!" Meme would be vastly overstating.

Mx Wrongs

Quote from: greencalx on October 17, 2023, 11:46:12 AMI am not sure that Amazon sales rankings have any meaning.

They only reflect relative performance, not absolute performance, and even then only for one (albeit large) retailer.

When we see more stable books remain in e.g. the top 100, and we see Graham's grief-tome tank, then it suggests his book is the odd one out (i.e. the one that had no sales).

So I see at least some meaning in them, even if it's just as a proxy for sales elsewhere.

It's also a source of vague amusement.

ETA: New page: JK Rowling (JK Rowling? I'm not really sure what that's about, but I'll take a gamble)

Quote from: greencalx on October 17, 2023, 11:46:12 AMI am not sure that Amazon sales rankings have any meaning.

They're also of note because the GCs were using them when the book was listed as the barometer of sales which according to them is still selling like 'hot cakes' & 'a bestseller' (although they've now stopped mentioning the Amazon position).

Edit: But more importantly this

Quote from: Mx Wrongs on October 17, 2023, 01:04:23 PMIt's also a source of vague amusement.

Rankersbo

Quote from: Mx Wrongs on October 17, 2023, 01:04:23 PMThey only reflect relative performance, not absolute performance, and even then only for one (albeit large) retailer.

Is it partly that it's a snapshot of a shorter timeframe than, say, the Times chart (weekly)? so they show spikes and anomalies more than less dynamic charts?

Mx Wrongs

Quote from: Rankersbo on October 17, 2023, 01:18:20 PMIs it partly that it's a snapshot of a shorter timeframe than, say, the Times chart (weekly)? so they show spikes and anomalies more than less dynamic charts?

It's certainly more interesting having dynamically calculated charts, but we don't have e.g. Amazon's ranking algorithms to say anything for sure.

Simplistic ranking would be based simply on sales-volume over time-period, but Amazon seem to use variable time periods, and rolling aggregates of sales.

The further a book falls in the charts, the longer the time between chart updates. This may be deliberate, since you could otherwise glean information on absolute sales by buying a few copies of your book and seeing how it immediately affected its chart position.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Elfking on October 17, 2023, 09:39:16 AMHe's just not as interesting [...] as he thinks he is.

I think it's only fair to hang a lampshade here in this, our umpteenth Glinner thread.

Mx Wrongs

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on October 17, 2023, 02:15:42 PMI think it's only fair to hang a lampshade here in this, our umpteenth Glinner thread.

Cook'd and Bomb'd Thread - The Musical

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on October 17, 2023, 02:47:10 PMI'm brand new here but long time reader / lurker so if it's not presumptuous I'll also just throw a "Get well soon Poirot" out there.

What a cheeky bastard

Barry Admin

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 17, 2023, 02:58:54 PMI'll take that, thank you, I hope it is.  Welcome mate.

I mean, everything's relative ha ha :)

Thanks tho Barry, appreciate your efforts here - seems like a lot of work!

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 17, 2023, 12:12:14 PMWow... that's mature and definitely a worthwhile use of one's time. I'm sure Mr King was gutted.

Given the emphasis that many people place on likes as proof of allyship, it's probably the right thing to do if you don't want to publicly support someone. Tedious but true.

Ferris

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on October 17, 2023, 03:06:43 PMThanks tho Barry, appreciate your efforts here - seems like a lot of work!

Adding my thanks to Barry also.

@perplexingprocrastinator You are mirroring my marvel at finding a (broadly) nice place on the internet also. It has convinced me to stick around more than once - CaB is a rare thing.

Tags: