Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,610,534
  • Total Topics: 107,185
  • Online Today: 528
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 28, 2024, 05:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TERF Crowd: The Terrifying Transphobia of Graham Linehan

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, October 15, 2023, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elfking

This cancellation process is taking longer than when I tried to cancel my gym membership. Can we hurry it up?

Beloved of Jo

Quote from: shoulders on November 22, 2023, 10:22:38 AMThe Katy Montgomery screenshot above genuinely comes across like the mirror image of the obsessiveness and ideating about 'final victory' than that which we are criticising.

Not sure I subscribe to the narrative either. Perma-progress, even over the very long term, allowing for regressive periods is not a given. There is no concrete proof that will happen and there certainly won't be a time when transphobes will be left defeated and ruined.

Well it cheered me up among doom and gloom.

Even bananaman has been diversifying his obsessions of late. Transphobes in Australia have been mostly DOA. Anti-abortionists are definitely not popular in an increasingly secular country. Even the fringe psychiatrist group here are looking pathetic having to promote their latest journal article on Murdoch shite or an antivax web radio show hosted by a man who was fired by the Murdochs and has a history of actually exposing himself to multiple women.

Greyhound

It cheered me up as well. It may not all come to pass but a little optimism is fine by me, much better than the relentless doom-posting that a lot of trans circles can end up doing. And I think Katy is more entitled to it than most with all of the shit she endures on twitter (still don't know how she does it)

Z-Model Ford

Only just read that McKinstry piece in the Express and fucking hell.

QuoteFollowing in the tradition of Emile Zola's explosive newspaper article J'Accuse, in which he tore apart the late 19th century French political and military establishment for its anti-semitic witch-hunt against Jewish officer Alfred Dreyfus on bogus charges of treason, Linehan uses his own experience of being denounced as heretic to expose the hysteria that has gripped public discourse.

Bigging up the clown is bad enough, but comparing him to Zola is actually repulsive.

Thing is...ridiculous and offensive as the piece is...of the smattering of positive notices I've read it's probably the one that comes closest to presenting Linehan as he sees himself. No wonder Simon Edge was sharing in on Twitter.

buttgammon

Zola suffered constant threats and abuse and some people even think he was murdered because of his views on the Dreyfus case. Linehan gets a bit of stick on the internet.

They're right, the similarities are eerie!

Sonny_Jim

Barry Admin

Quote from: Beloved of Jo on November 22, 2023, 01:19:00 PMWell it cheered me up among doom and gloom.

Even bananaman has been diversifying his obsessions of late. Transphobes in Australia have been mostly DOA. Anti-abortionists are definitely not popular in an increasingly secular country. Even the fringe psychiatrist group here are looking pathetic having to promote their latest journal article on Murdoch shite or an antivax web radio show hosted by a man who was fired by the Murdochs and has a history of actually exposing himself to multiple women.

Yes, I completely agree with Katy Montgomerie tbh. People will naturally get bored and drift away, and the media shites will find another load of toss to bang on about.  Just the way these things go, as we've seen with other moral panics.
Edit: lol there you go, they're even starting to see through and tire of Linehan in greater numbers now. 

Again though, what worries me is what comes next, now they've seen more examples of how effective and easy it is to radicalise people using social media.

Kankurette

Maybe Linehan's pulled a Mumsnetter. I keep saying this but it's so pathetic how much they fawn over men on FWR.
Quote from: Z-Model Ford on November 22, 2023, 02:42:46 PMOnly just read that McKinstry piece in the Express and fucking hell.

Bigging up the clown is bad enough, but comparing him to Zola is actually repulsive.

Thing is...ridiculous and offensive as the piece is...of the smattering of positive notices I've read it's probably the one that comes closest to presenting Linehan as he sees himself. No wonder Simon Edge was sharing in on Twitter.
And it's especially ironic given that Linehan is either an antisemite or very close to being one.

One of my friends told me this morning one of her kids came out as trans. She's supportive, but understandably worried about them getting abuse.

Kankurette

Double post but this is trending on Mumsnet - who is it referring to?

Spoiler alert
Quoteohlookmanamewontwheesh · Today 16:05
I felt I had to let my fellow terven know about this and I've name changed because it honestly was really quite disconcerting an experience,to say the least.
Was up in Glasgow at the weekend visiting family and got the train back start of the week. Glasgow to London Euston.That loudmouth "actor" tra was on it with his pals,(you know the one who went after the female accountant and claimed he had to move to London as us horrible terven bullied him). The man was so loud and aggressively obnoxious shouting and laughing on a very quiet carriage . When I got up to pass him to go and use the loo, the look he gave me was one of utter contempt(I didn't even have my terf tshirt on or a badge unfortunately) and tried to keep my look neutral as he is a big heafty bloke. Honestly, the guy despises women. That look said it all to me. Absolutely finds us all revolting. I watched him do the same to the wee pleasant older lady with knitting as he scanned the carriage for women. He is a dangerous man.
And an utter fool as he is not subtle about it
[close]

Sorry, I know we're not supposed to post Mumsnet stuff in here but nobody posts in the Mumsnet thread except me and it is kind of relevant because I suspect this might be someone Linehan's harassed. Who is this? Is it Paisley or anyone else Graybum's targeted?

Also, why would you go out wearing a TERF shirt unless you wanted to start shit?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I'm betting the evil tra was minding his own business and looked at her funny because she was glaring at him.

Kankurette

The actor thing made me wonder if it was Paisley. They were harassing him. Never trust anything a TERF says.

Kankurette

Yeah, I can't think why a guy who was harassed by TERFs and sued by Graham Linehan might be wary of them.

I'm not checking the thread to see if it is him.

Mx Wrongs

Quote from: Kankurette on November 22, 2023, 05:08:06 PMYeah, I can't think why a guy who was harassed by TERFs and sued by Graham Linehan might be wary of them.

I'm not checking the thread to see if it is him.

Also, Marion Millar (the accountant) is an aggressive yoon from Airdrie (think flat-roofed murder pub in town form), I get the feeling she's in finger-breaking circles.

ETA: that's not totally fair to Airdrie, but it's definitely true of the area she lives in and frequents. Bleak.

Kankurette

Oh, so THAT'S who the accountant is. The grifter. And these gullible idiots are still caping for her. What is it with Scottish TERFs? They're even more batshit than English ones.

Isn't she very far right as well?

Blue Jam

BennyHedgehog

lol Apparently he's not posting right now as he believes that if you don't post for a week your shadow ban is lifted.

Milo

Might this be a breakthrough moment for him? A week off! That's enough to break the back of most addictions.

BennyHedgehog

This article about shadow banning lists a bunch of reasons you may get shadow banned on Twitter, around 80% of them accurately describing Grayham's day to day behaviour on the platform

https://tweetdelete.net/resources/am-i-shadowbanned-twitter-3-quick-solutions-to-fix-it/

Milo

Quoteyou don't want to feel like you're tweeting into the void.

Heaven forfend.

Who knows if the "Twitter Shadow Ban Tester" is legit or not, but

"It appears I'm being shunned and ignored... they must be hiding my posts!"

The Bumlord

Mx Wrongs

So he's doing interviews with click-bait podcasts and following click-bait twitter hacks sites.

He's like the love child of David Icke and a Jackovasaur

Unrelated: Forstater plugged his book earlier today, and it subsequently fell 900 places in the Amazon UK charts. To the moon, Graham!

He didn't appear in search for me until I checked this box in Settings:

chip

Quote from: TommyTurnips on November 20, 2023, 11:44:39 AMI like the idea of him packing all of this in and getting a job in agriculture as a lumpy farm hand.

We've all seen the big-headed boys on farms

The Bumlord

Greyhound

I don't understand why, if twitter has decided your postings are offensive enough to warrant a shadowban, simply not posting for a week would be enough to remove it. Sounds like a twitter boomer urban legend imo.

But even if not posting for a week did remove a shadowban surely he'll just get shadowbanned again unless he stops posting offensive shit all the time?

Milo

Milo

Quote from: Greyhound on November 22, 2023, 06:17:47 PMI don't understand why, if twitter has decided your postings are offensive enough to warrant a shadowban, simply not posting for a week would be enough to remove it. Sounds like a twitter boomer urban legend imo.

It does tie in with their 'free speech not reach' idea - the thinking being that you can say whatever you like but certain things will cause you to reach far fewer people. A week without saying anything that would cause a shadow ban is probably long enough that whatever you were commenting on has been rendered irrelevant by the algorithms so the ban can be lifted.

So he couldn't go a day without posting for the sake of his marriage; but he CAN go a week without posting to save his account. Got it.

Tags: