Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:53:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Call of Cthulhu humble bundle

Started by Vodkafone, January 08, 2024, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vodkafone

Quote from: Grassygnome on January 27, 2024, 12:37:08 AMThe concept of this RPG is great but I always wanted to see some British fans make some really good British material for it, set in the 1920s. I don't think anyone ever pulled it off.  It always seemed to be through the eyes of north Americans.

I wrote a couple for our gaming group set in the Peak District. It added a different layer when talking about places we all knew and when I visit those places now, they have an eldritch overlay.

Years ago I played a Cthulhu by Gaslight (1890s) campaign set in England which was very good, can't remember which book or books that came from though.

There's also Shadows Over Scotland which is very good, and Cthulhu Dark Ages is set in mediaeval Britain. There must be loads of mileage in a Roman Britain era adventure as well.

H-O-W-L

The current Delta Green game I'm running is set in 1997 in England after a nuclear apocalypse happened, Threads-style, in 1987. I've been fudging a bit of it geographically since I'm running it entirely for yanks, but adding that pinch of Thatcherite yellowing-plastic faux-woodgrain has given it a real nasty edge that I love. The idea of the North being a heavily-nuked intangible zone beyond the borders of the post-war technologist faction that has arisen to "save" (read: be fascists) humanity from itself is a rich one and I'm looking forward to plumbing more of it come Saturday, my next session day.

Very much in the vein of Edge of Darkness (I even used Bob Peck as a character token!) and I'm really loving writing it and getting to put my cold war knowledge into action.

I decided to go off-Mythos with it though and make up my own supernatural shit more in the vein of Twin Peaks The Return or Metro.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Grassygnome on January 27, 2024, 12:37:08 AMThe concept of this RPG is great but I always wanted to see some British fans make some really good British material for it, set in the 1920s. I don't think anyone ever pulled it off.  It always seemed to be through the eyes of north Americans.

Green and Pleasant Land, which has been mentioned, is an excellent sourcebook for 1920s-30s (or splitting hairs, from 1918) in Britain and it was very well received. At that time, Games Workshop had licensed  CoC for the UK and they were the driving force behind the supplement.

Also, via White Dwarf, there were various CoC resources and a fair bit was for UK-based adventures. I remember one modern-day adventure in Britain that was published, Draw the Blinds on Yesterday, pretty much because Bowie lyrics were being referenced.

I thought there were some articles to tie in with Green and Pleasant Land but after looking at this listing - http://wiki.oldhammer.org.uk/v/Call_of_Cthulhu/White_Dwarf_Index - see that there were general resources for British settings and my memory was playing tricks; I forgot there was a m monthly feature on CoC. (One article on British slang was off the back of G&PL as the information was meant to be included in the book).

These resources, I suspect, would be still well worth a look.  At that time, White Dwarf also heavily refigured resources for other games like AD&D and Traveller, which could be of use now - https://archive.org/details/white-dwarf-magazine-001-100/White Dwarf 001/

Just in case this might be handy, this has a list of various CoC editions and the supplements that came out for it - https://index.rpg.net/display-search.phtml?key=system&value=Call+of+Cthulhu&sort=system,systemversion

H-O-W-L

Zombie shot one of my players in the chest last week. Tonight I'm running another session where they try to escape the forests near Towcester with their gutshot mate in tow. Brill stuff.

Vodkafone

Partly prompted by @Grassygnome and their comment about the lack of British material, I have started to write a British adventure - a campaign in fact - set in 1920. Not written a campaign before, might therefore be shit, but if nothing else it is giving me something to focus on. I don't really do anything creative other than occasionally write Call of Cthulhu scenarios, so even if I never get to run it, it will have been worth it for the creativity alone.

seepage

Make sure to include plenty of dracleas, skelingtons and frankinsteens