Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:52:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Reading The Bible (and other scripture)

Started by Petey Pate, November 10, 2023, 04:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 08, 2024, 03:17:41 PMWith each succesive 'gospel' jesus becomes less hardline and his message more friendly and less old testament

My intuition tells me it was probably the opposite: over time well intentioned (or not) authors steeped in a society of Hellenistic/Rabbinical Judaism tried to force Jesus back into the Old Testament box that they understood. Ideas generally become less radical over time, especially as they spread in influence and increase in threat to the stats quo.

Mr Vegetables

I'm reading John Barton's History of the Bible on and off, and it's very good. It's quite strange to read something by a practicing Anglican Priest which is quite so blunt with saying "loads of this stuff didn't happen, including some of the bits you might half-think did."

Weirdly the book that made me feel most differently towards it all was The Twelve Caesars, because it is striking how many strange myths are in that ancient historical account, and how they feel a bit similar to all the ones about Jesus, which may have been entirely intentional on early Christianity's part. It shifts how you see it all, I think, when it's someone like Emperor Claudius who's at the centre of these kinds of stories