Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:45:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Generic Antipodean comedy thread

Started by Famous Mortimer, February 23, 2023, 02:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

It was okay, quite a few good laughs,  but yeah, like yardie said, the format is weak, and the way the cast railroad the guests into the next "finish this line" bit rather than at least adjusting their own lines a little to follow on from the improv was annoying. The show needed people who would really trample the cast and wrench the show off the rails, and while he wasn't the only good guest,  Ross Noble was the only one who really smashed the state and made you wonder where a scenario could go.

Famous Mortimer

New "Hard Quiz" (well, two days ago, but still).

It's such a simple format, I'm surprised it's not been sold. A smart, quick on their feet comedian, a bunch of researchers, one set.

13 schoolyards

Not sure about "quick on their feet" - someone who was at a taping said that Gleeson is actually pretty reserved on the day in front of contestants and a lot of the quips are added later.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on February 09, 2024, 09:30:16 AMNot sure about "quick on their feet" - someone who was at a taping said that Gleeson is actually pretty reserved on the day in front of contestants and a lot of the quips are added later.
Blimey! The editors are very good, then.

13 schoolyards

They didn't specify how much editing must be going on (though they said the difference between what they saw and the finished product was a bit jarring) - I'm guessing Gleeson must make some kind of comment at the time and possibly they edit in a snappier one afterwards.

It sounded like a lot of the harsher insults might have gone in later, which makes sense - even with the format being extremely well known, there'd have to be people appearing on the show who might take offense if an insult hit them the wrong way

TheMonk

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on February 10, 2024, 06:11:42 AMThey didn't specify how much editing must be going on (though they said the difference between what they saw and the finished product was a bit jarring) - I'm guessing Gleeson must make some kind of comment at the time and possibly they edit in a snappier one afterwards.

It sounded like a lot of the harsher insults might have gone in later, which makes sense - even with the format being extremely well known, there'd have to be people appearing on the show who might take offense if an insult hit them the wrong way
Nah not buying it. They've just tightened it up like they used to with Good News Week.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: TheMonk on February 10, 2024, 07:08:48 AMNah not buying it. They've just tightened it up like they used to with Good News Week.

Might be up for interpretation but they sounded pretty definite that the gags came later - seems Gleeson isn't great at reading out the questions (he stumbles over the words a bit) either so a lot of that stuff was re-shot later too

famethrowa

The Lurker

I've seen Gleeson at a filming of Taskmaster Australia and I would say he was pretty quick on his feet

Famous Mortimer

A full hour of Guy Montgomery's standup has just shown up on Youtube:

Oh, and there was a Zoom-based Guy-Mont-Spelling-Bee the other day too, with Paul F Tompkins, Rose Matafeo, Aaron Chen and Lolly Adefope: