Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:35:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone else interested in Retro handhelds?

Started by Hammer, August 24, 2023, 06:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammer

No, not steamdeck.

I've bought an Anbernic 405m recently and in dead happy with it. Plays everything up to PS2 and GameCube, although in truth it doesn't play every game from those two consoles

Dead impressed though. Only got it yesterday. It's pretty small too - about as big as my phone - so I can stick it in my pocket pretty easily.

Video Game Fan 2000

RpiCase 1 was very fun to build and optimise but not good at the Nes and GB games i wanted it for - the boot time is far too long.

Anbernic 351M was the first good one i tried and i used it everyday until i got sick of the problems with the OS - the early Ark0S was perfect but the later versions and Amber seemed to make it worse, it has the fucking Retroarch shader bug (saving shader details to .conf files for some reason resets all settings, argh)

RG Nano is fucking GREAT for gameboy and gbc, better at NES than the PiZero based systems and quick to boot. im praying they put Onion OS on it then itll be the perfect 8bit device

i have a steam deck and honestly its no comparison for everything about Gameboy, cant imagine going back to anything other than Nano but if i had endless money for projects id def get an Odin Pro or a Retroid 2S to mess around with

the one thing i discovered about this - all the Youtubers seem to lie or at least exaggerate about the capabilities of the systems. even the guy who writes the very helpful faqs and guides, you know the one. he says things that aren't true about the device performances. he shows 5 sec clips saying "and as you can see it runs with no issue" - i dont think most people would be happy to play a lot of the games shown this way because of stuttering or lag. or else there is overclocking involved somewhere. the RG351P has considerable problems even with complex games on the GBA - you wouldn't want to play Final Fantasy Tactics or Golden Sun 2 with a shader or rewind function because there is already a ton of slowdown. issues with refresh rates and frames are common on even low end systems, and there is lots of lag and audio issues with the Sega consoles. Dreamcast and N64 are mostly just novelties, you wouldn't want to actually play them like that aside from the Mario 64 port which is just unbelievable (better than the anniversary port on the switch) - but the 351M is worth it to me because of the perfect upscale for GBA, its just perfect for that. it feels like luck of the draw whether there will be good ports or tweaks for a game on the exact right system to play it. pissed i never got AM2R or SORR running properly on my 351M

having a steamdeck with batocera on a memory stick is preferable for me, and if i can get the lag down ill stream PS2/Dreamcast from the PC to the steamdeck rather than emu.