Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:35:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Videogame things lodged in your memory

Started by Lemming, August 25, 2023, 12:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lemming

You know, shit from videogames that forms a part of your identity. You played a game as a kid where some NPC says "the roads aren't safe!" or some shit like that in a slightly weird voice, and you're still quoting it daily decades later.

One of mine is that any time it snows, I start subconsciously humming the snowing music from Daggerfall (namely the melody that starts at about 0:26).

Not entirely sure when this started but it's a fixture now, and puts me in a weirdly melancholic mood whenever snow starts to fall.

One that winds my brother up - he usually does the shopping and, if he wasn't able to get whatever I asked for, I do my best impression of the peasants from Stronghold: "No rations? Oh milord, surely a mistake!"

Another: I used to go walking with my friend in a FITNESS BINGE before both of us became too lazy to continue. We'd meet up en route and if I saw him first I'd storm over to him and announce my presence by snarling Mount & Blade's "OUT FOR A STROLL, ARE WE?!"

Another one: whenever I have to do anything at all, I say out loud "an EEAAASY matter for one of my skill", taken from the techpriest guys in Dawn of War.

I also find myself saying Max Payne's "funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of" several times a week, increasingly so in recent times.

What quotes/music/etc from videogames is permanently lodged in your psyche, that you annoy your friends and family by quoting six hundred times a day?

Pink Gregory

I'm more familiar with Stronghold 2, changing the taxes and rations around

"Double raaations, that's fantaaastic!"

"Low taaxes, awww"

"Small broibe...jolly good..."

Super Tennis court change -

madhair60

I don't have your stone, and fuck you anyway!!

I'm the light bringer! I'm the fucking universe!!

Also the fucking Corroder from Clock Tower 3

HAHAHAHA NO MORE PLAYING HAPPY FAMILIES HAHAHAHA HOW ABOUT THE ACID BATH

Video Game Fan 2000

[noticeably worse sound quality than rest of game] i can do anything you want with such fine metal

bomb_dog

'Checkpoint!'

And latterly from the 2006 iteration -

'I want to go far away!'

Jonhy Onioins

This, from the blacksmith in Majula, whenever someone says they're popping out the shops or on an errand.

https://voca.ro/1m561xMG1lBC

The original demo of Diablo had some amusingly different temp voices for all the characters, particularly the Wounded Townsman. I was very disappointed they didn't use this take in the actual game.

"PlEEEaasse hEEElllllp! I barely escaped from...THE BUTCHER!"

Magnum Valentino

Tons but until I sit and think of more, there's an NPC in Tony Hawk 3 who says "what you got?" which I say a lot still.

Also find myself quoting taunts from Soul Calibur 2 a lot - Astaroth's "disGUSTing" is a favourite. Kilik saying "is there no other way" has even entered my wife's lexicon, and she's NORMAL.

dontpaintyourteeth

For the longest time I only had the demo version of Metal Gear Solid and I played it to death, so most of the dialogue from that. A hind-d? Colonel, what's a Russian gunship doing here? Etc etc

aunt mildred

Genuinely

"It's a me, Mario"

some cunt reckons it doesn't exist and I'm a paedo for remembering it.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on August 25, 2023, 10:28:29 AMFor the longest time I only had the demo version of Metal Gear Solid and I played it to death, so most of the dialogue from that. A hind-d? Colonel, what's a Russian gunship doing here? Etc etc

a thousand tonnes of MUF are recorded every year

"Muf?"

kittens

civ 2(?) commerce(?) advisor saying "let's do lunch, sir". i say it to my friend Chris when I want to have lunch with him.

kittens

Quote from: aunt mildred on August 25, 2023, 11:21:56 AMGenuinely

"It's a me, Mario"

some cunt reckons it doesn't exist and I'm a paedo for remembering it.

heard mario say that did you. heard him say that. heard him say that did you. mario said that did he. you heard him did you

chip

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on August 25, 2023, 09:19:55 AMAlso find myself quoting taunts from Soul Calibur 2 a lot - Astaroth's "disGUSTing" is a favourite. Kilik saying "is there no other way" has even entered my wife's lexicon, and she's NORMAL.

Nice. For some reason I always recalled one of Nightmare's taunts where he just goes 'NOT YET', which when used in isolation seldom makes any sense.

buttgammon

'Trouble with the trolley, eh?'

The stuff of nightmares.

BJBMK2

Every single line in Lylat Wars*

"UseTheBoostToGetThrough!"

"Aaaaaandross's enemy, is MYYYYYY enemy!"

"Hey Einstein! I'm on YOUR side!" (Nolan missed a trick, not sticking this line in Oppenheimer. Not someone quoting it, just the actual audio file, somewhere in the film).

*I have never heard of Star Fox 64, American Youtubers. It is Lylat Wars, alright mate? And also, the N64 controller is good.

Jerzy Bondov

House of the Dead 2 stuff. Especially "How could anyone DO this?!" because that's more useful than like "G's bloodstains" or whatever.

"You've lost it completely" from Resident Evil 4 when a screaming Krauser grows a giant living blade from his arm.

Magnum Valentino

Oh and every line from Die Hard Trilogy, most often "PLEASE let ME drive", "sposeda stay inna seat til the plane reaches the terminal" and "yooo surprise me again, mac-clane", all delivered by dreadful impersonators of Samuel Jackson, Bruce Willis and Jeremy Irons.

Assorted grunts and oomphs from Mortal Kombat 1-3, which I have in my music library and often punctuate proper songs on shuffle. Same for the Tekken ones, though I don't have these to hand them are on YouTube.

Chief Irons saying "so you've made it this far" in RE2 is another.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 25, 2023, 12:14:23 PMHouse of the Dead 2 stuff. Especially "How could anyone DO this?!" because that's more useful than like "G's bloodstains" or whatever.

"Suffer like G did???"

Pink Gregory

Nah I've got it

demos of Myth and Myth 2 on the Mac

"Please.  Don't kill the pigs."

"Casualty."

aunt mildred

Quote from: BJBMK2 on August 25, 2023, 12:12:27 PMEvery single line in Lylat Wars*

"UseTheBoostToGetThrough!"

"Aaaaaandross's enemy, is MYYYYYY enemy!"

"Hey Einstein! I'm on YOUR side!" (Nolan missed a trick, not sticking this line in Oppenheimer. Not someone quoting it, just the actual audio file, somewhere in the film).

*I have never heard of Star Fox 64, American Youtubers. It is Lylat Wars, alright mate? And also, the N64 controller is good.

Finally somebody knows what they're talking about.

ISS64 (the best football game) commentary always delivered as well. "Good foresight" always sounded like "Bruce Forsythe", oh the lols we had.

johnlogan

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on August 25, 2023, 12:18:13 PMOh and every line from Die Hard Trilogy, most often "PLEASE let ME drive", "sposeda stay inna seat til the plane reaches the terminal" and "yooo surprise me again, mac-clane", all delivered by dreadful impersonators of Samuel Jackson, Bruce Willis and Jeremy Irons.

Assorted grunts and oomphs from Mortal Kombat 1-3, which I have in my music library and often punctuate proper songs on shuffle. Same for the Tekken ones, though I don't have these to hand them are on YouTube.

Chief Irons saying "so you've made it this far" in RE2 is another.

I still think of 'Take this, Yankee!' quite often, maybe because it's delivered in such an American accent.

Otherwise, I think a lot of mine would be quite basic ones - sometimes hit out with 'What is a man?' from Symphony of the Night, the monk chants from Resident Evil 4, and the shopkeeper's lines from the same game.

Used to like quoting NPC dialogue from the Tatooine levels in the Phantom Menace tie-in game, particularly 'Now, you look like a man who could use a Rancor skin jacket!', but changing it to 'wankor skin jacket'.

C_Larence

Spider-Man 2 for the PS2 had an NPC who would often exclaim "JEEZ LOUISE, IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING IN THIS TOWN" which I say a lot.

frajer

I'd like to offer a hearty, boomingly robotic "NODE ACTIVATED" from 'The Chaos Engine'

Just great no matter what you're doing. Flipping a lightswitch? That's a NODE ACTIVATED. And so on.

Jerzy Bondov

The pedestrians in the first GTA who would go "PIECE A"

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: frajer on August 25, 2023, 02:53:14 PMI'd like to offer a hearty, boomingly robotic "NODE ACTIVATED" from 'The Chaos Engine'

Just great no matter what you're doing. Flipping a lightswitch? That's a NODE ACTIVATED. And so on.

Did you say NERD?

popcorn

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on August 25, 2023, 03:13:49 PMDid you say NERD?

Every time I ever hear or read the word "node" I think: "Did you say... nerd?"

Strangely, many years later, I befriended the woman who translated the MGS2 script from Japanese and I asked her about this line. What was the thought process here? Unfortunately she had no memory of it.

jamiefairlie

Fucking Gorfian empire cunts taunting you when you lose in their Steven Hawking voices.

"Har har, Gorfian Empire wins again you useless loser cunt. Har har har"

Oh and

"Mremare ooh qwoeifmi.......beep!" In Track & Field

dontpaintyourteeth

Never played Lylat Wars myself but still often think of the little clip of it in this VHS. "MY EMPEROR... I'VE FAILED YOUUUU"