Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:20:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Being a decrepit husk that's too old for gaming

Started by Mister Six, September 23, 2023, 04:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Only just twigged it was "Peri-Peri" with this thread myself. Hiya Bosto mate

Mister Six

Quote from: Consignia on September 23, 2023, 06:00:20 PMTo be fair, I don't think there's any genre that's out of bounds for any age. An immersive experience is like Subnautica is great to lose yourself in, just as much as  a narrative experience is another preference. Things like Subnautica aren't for my taste, but something that I could really appreciate the appeal.

I personally love a JRPG I can just get lost in, but can appreciate it's not something others may have the time and patience for.

Well the thread is for people's personal experiences. I don't think anything here is universal.

Mecha Rodney

Hiya @Blue Jam mate!

Forgot I had an account named Peri Peri, not sure why I stopped using it but very low effort name.

Consignia

Quote from: Mister Six on September 24, 2023, 03:43:26 PMWell the thread is for people's personal experiences. I don't think anything here is universal.

Sorry, wasn't trying to stifle conversation. Just a bit of (perhaps uneeded) meta commentary on the different experiences and how interesting it what different people get out of gaming.

DrumsAndWires

is it an AGE thing or a YOU thing?

personally i've only ever really liked narrative/plot driven games (of any kind - story is key)

a really great game i love that's a nice mix between story and exploration is called Inside - probably one of the best games of the last 5-6 years imo

Cloud

Quote from: Shaxberd on September 23, 2023, 05:01:37 PMI used to love classic JRPGs with turn-based combat, but these days, with less spare time to kill, I absolutely do not have the patience for constant random encounters.

I tried to play FFVII (the original) a few years back since I'd never done so before, young me was a Nintendo loyalist. The encounters happen so often it really interfered with my enjoyment of the game. There's a function to turn the random encounters off, but then you end up underlevelled since the game was designed with the expectation that you couldn't avoid them. I know it's a classic, and I have played enough to understand why, but I just hate the combat in that game. Yet I expect I would have loved it when I was a teen because all that extra game time would feel like getting my money's worth rather than annoying padding.

Same, I've been replaying them on an emulator so I can fast forward the battles.  They bore me to tears these days. 

Can't be arsed with Pokémon any more and I think it's for similar reasons. 

When I was a kid I was into "edgy" games like Carmageddon, grew out of that very quickly but still occasionally make "old granny crossing the road, that's an extra 40 points" jokes.  Other than that I don't really do "growing out" of things as such.  Like you get older and have to be all sophisticated and have acceptable forms of fun, or none at all. It's more that I don't have 10 hours free to play one small region of Final Fantasy any more, and so the time sink aspects become more prominent and frustrating.

Also turning 42 next year.

Mister Six

Quote from: Mecha Rodney on September 24, 2023, 10:45:48 AMBotW was the last time I really thought there had been a leap forwards in design (the physics and elemental stuff) but even that is full of copy and pasted elements.

Yeah, that's what has put me off the game, really. It looks so beautiful and has so much charm, but the knowledge that aside from the occasional settlement, there's nothing much more over the next hill than another temple, another korok puzzle, another... hm, well that's it, mostly, isn't it? I was really excited when I saw my first dragon, but then I realised it was just one of several, differentiated only by their respective elements, flying around and around in circles forever. The terrain is lovely and varied, but oh look - another big skull with some pigs in it.

It seems nuts to me that Skyrim got such a bollocking for its copy-pasted dungeons when BotW comes across - to me at least - as infinitely more lazy from a design perspective. Or at least, spread much, much more thinly for what it was.

Quote from: Mecha Rodney on September 24, 2023, 10:45:48 AMThe bigger devs seem much less innovative or prepared to take risks.

Well, given the amount of cash it takes to make even a relatively simple-looking game by modern standards, I can understand.

I was thinking about the Spectrum days, back when games were mostly made by spods in their bedrooms who were still figuring out exactly what a game should be. So many games had awful controls or oblique goals, but there was at least a sense of discovery in playing each one.

Although even back then you had Ocean churning out shite, identikit movie tie-ins by the bucket-load. "Here's the side-scrolling shoot-em-up level, here's the first-person shooting level, here's the driving level, here's the puzzle level - that'll be 15 quid please!"

bgmnts

Imagine the games we'd be getting if the profit motive didn't exist and creatives were just provided for.

We'd probably all be getting noshed off by alien femme fetales in our video game VR real life cubes.

Video Game Fan 2000

i dont mind having one game a year i spent 100 hours but 20 hours should be the maximum length for a single player game

campaigns over 8 hours for shooters and throwback arcadey titles can get to absolute fuck. i dont know why a 30 - 40 hour (or longer) campaign is considered value for money. value for money is a short, punchy experience ill go back to in a year or two or be tempted to replay for an hour or so later on.

stop making demands on my time, games

seepage

Steam reckons I've spent 1,731 hours playing Troubleshooter

Urinal Cake

It's interesting to think about turn-based RPGs and an alternate timeline if they didn't fall from favour because of Skyrim, AAA titles adopting rpg elemts etc. Since the changes were coming like with Chrono Cross getting rid of exp and grinding. Like I don't think I could play Persona 6 unless it was 'interesting'. Like they were smart with 5 since they went back to the past and got talking to demons, follow-ups etc. But now what can they do? I guess implemting a more complicated rumour mechanic would be cool.

I don't know I guess it says something when FFVII Rebirth is the game I'm interested most. Fucking nostalgia.

bgmnts

Nothing wrong with just being too old for playing video games by the way.

JaDanketies

I've finally found the time to boot up the PS3 and start playing Red Dead Redemption. 10 years later than everyone else.

It's good! If I can keep this up then I might get myself a PS5 for my birthday. And Red Dead Redemption 2.

Cloud

Quote from: bgmnts on September 24, 2023, 08:06:58 PMImagine the games we'd be getting if the profit motive didn't exist and creatives were just provided for.

We'd probably all be getting noshed off by alien femme fetales in our video game VR real life cubes.

Those of us in VRchat are already having that (mostly from at least patreons for the avatars of course)

Norway has a system like that I believe, although my artist friend there still needs to sell stuff to pay the bills so it's obviously not enough.  Wouldn't ever work here as there'd be too much anger about layabouts claiming to be artists for a free ride and what have you.  Or it'd work for 5 years then the Tories would get voted back in and it'd be yoinked suddenly from under their feet.

madhair60

Every time I think I don't like games anymore I plug in the Mega SG and rinse Sensible Soccer. A reminder of all that is pure and good in the world.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: madhair60 on September 24, 2023, 11:29:19 PMEvery time I think I don't like games anymore I plug in the Mega SG and rinse Sensible Soccer. A reminder of all that is pure and good in the world.
It's weird like that certain games do pull you back 'in.' Like I never finished Vagrant Story the first time (3/4 through I think something else everybody else was playing came along) but on a whim I decided to play it and the first few hours that mix of nostalgia and finding things anew almost got me gripped again. Then I was like nah it's not worth it at the expense of other things. But it's good to know that when I'm bored I can go back to it.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: madhair60 on September 24, 2023, 11:29:19 PMEvery time I think I don't like games anymore I plug in the Mega SG and rinse Sensible Soccer. A reminder of all that is pure and good in the world.

I'm definitely too old to play modern arcade football games. When I used to play Sensi/Kick Off it was just one button and you held it down for a bit longer if you wanted to do something different. Now there's about 18 buttons that all do different things and who can remember that?