Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:55:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Has anyone played The Sinking City

Started by Vodkafone, October 17, 2023, 09:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vodkafone

I know. I know I shouldn't want or expect it to be any good and in any way faithful to the mood and tone of Lovecraft but it's like knowing there's a random bottle of whisky in the cellar - what if...?

So, any of you cunts played it yet and is it shit?

bgmnts

I played it and lasted a little bit before putting on the back-burner.

Refreshingly it doesn't hold your hand as much as most games but the combat is a bit clunky dunky and it runs like shit on my series S (PC may be different).

It's set in a classical eerie foggy Lovecraft island as well so the tone is right.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I found it pretty bum. There's only about 4 enemy types, and the city is largely empty. Interesting character design though, especially the Innsmouth fish people and the guy whose mother is a gorilla. Theres another Lovecraft game that came out round the same time called Call of Cthulhu that I never played.

bgmnts

Call of Cthulu was a different type of game and I found it quite decent.

Vodkafone

Quote from: bgmnts on October 18, 2023, 09:10:16 AMCall of Cthulu was a different type of game and I found it quite decent.

I didn't like it but then I'm a bloody purist aren't I, thereby closing off avenues for my own enjoyment. It doesn't sound like I'd be that keen on The Sinking City either, but thanks for the comments.

chutnut

I gave up on it pretty quickly tbh (ps4). It seemed like the detective thing could be interesting but the combat was so bad I just couldn't get past it

Vodkafone

Quote from: chutnut on October 18, 2023, 02:56:17 PMI gave up on it pretty quickly tbh (ps4). It seemed like the detective thing could be interesting but the combat was so bad I just couldn't get past it

Interesting...

See, in a Lovecraft game I like the idea of the detective/investigation side, and to be true to theme combat should be a last resort and not the way to win out over the forces of the Mythos. So if the combat is shonky but optional, that would work for me. If it's shonky but essential to completing the game, that would suck.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

It's probably quite cheap now, so give it a go.