Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:54:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fan-made versions of ancient games

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 02, 2023, 01:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Inspired by the "Retro-Blast 90s" thread, I realised all the games I thought of for inclusion were older than that. I looked up "Mercenary":

And re-remembered that someone had made a version of it, then fell into a bit of a rabbit hole (there's a "port" of the Amiga version of "Damocles", the sequel, which has VR support, for example).

So my weekend is sorted, as I'll see if I can complete Mercenary for the second time, thirty-odd years after the first. I also know there are lots of other things like this - old games programmed to work in browsers, all sorts. Any good ones? Any very bad ones?

Lemming

If the early-mid 90s count as ancient:
GZDoom is an easy recommendation, you can run Doom, Heretic, Hexen and others at modern resolutions with any control scheme you like and all kinds of groovy features.

Another really cool one is OpenLara, the PS1 version of Tomb Raider 1 running in a browser. Screen resolution, much higher framerate than the original, plus you can press R to go into slowmo and show off your Moves.

Also not sure if it counts as a full fan-made version, but the Gold Box Companion is really cool, you can play the old 80s/early 90s Pool of Radiance/Krynn/etc games with a fanmade companion program that has an automap and keeps track of other things for you.

Sonny_Jim

I'd kinda missed it at the time, but there was another sequel to Elite called 'Frontier: First Encounters', which released in '95 and was apparently a buggy mess.  There's a couple of modern ports that fix most of the bugs and I found fun to play for a bit:

EDIT: It has some top notch early video game acting:

samadriel

Whatever happened to that project to remake Action 52 as fifty-two good games?

earl_sleek

A remake of classic 4X game Master of Orion Remnants of the Precursors came out a few years ago, and is just as capable of absorbing hours of my time as the original.