Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:52:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better off Ted - Any fans here?

Started by dead-ced-dead, February 12, 2024, 04:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

I'm re-watching this and I'm a big fan. I like its commitment to silliness and in its two seasons it managed to do the big-kids live action cartoon thing well.

Shame it was cut too short.

Enjoyed it a lot on the original run, haven't watched it since.

Went down well here IIRC.

phantom_power

I have rewatched it a couple of times and it still holds up well. It should have gone on for 10 seasons. There was a lot of scope for comedy in the premise

I think episode 4 or 5 of the first season was the 'Racial Sensitivity' episode, that being the moment where it really clicked for me.

Noakes

Very strong show, felt "right" from the first episode where most comedies need a few episodes to bed in. surprised it wasn't renewed

dead-ced-dead

Oh, and the actor who plays Ted is in SWAT and he's totally PHWOAR.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I remember finding the first couple of episodes a bit hard going (in large part because of Lem's repeated shrieking) but after that I loved it.

I recall someone on here dismissing it because it lacked the acidic edge of some other sitcom with a similar premise, but that seems like comparing apples and a different kind of apples. It's just really good, silly fun.

I feel like a rewatch is due.

Small Man Big Horse

I was a big fan, and wrote the following for the site I occasionally still run:

Better Off Ted – Victor Fresno's someone I'm extremely fond of due to being the man behind Andy Richter Controls The Universe and Santa Clarita Diet, but for me Better Off Ted is his best work, a mixture of "Will they / won't they" romance and satire of a corporations that are undoubtedly evil, as the one featured here has swayed presidential elections, created killer pandas and weaponized pumpkins, with that last one being particularly egregious I'm sure you'll agree. Despite being all kinds of horrendous they've managed to attract some pretty decent people to work for them however, including Jay Harrington's Ted and Andrea Anders' Linda, plus scientists Phil (Jonathan Slavin) and Lem (Malcolm Barrett), and only Portia di Rossi's Veronica is a borderline sociopath, but that doesn't stop her from being a fantastic comic creation and still strangely likeable. It's a show that could be silly and then vicious and then sweet and then romantic, and was a big ball of loveliness that should have lasted for much longer than the two seasons that we got. Related Link: A Pop Matters article on why it shouldn't have been cancelled - https://www.popmatters.com/189725-better-off-ted-the-complete-second-season-2495571038.html

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 14, 2024, 12:43:02 AMI remember finding the first couple of episodes a bit hard going (in large part because of Lem's repeated shrieking) but after that I loved it.

I recall someone on here dismissing it because it lacked the acidic edge of some other sitcom with a similar premise, but that seems like comparing apples and a different kind of apples. It's just really good, silly fun.

I feel like a rewatch is due.

Possibly Corporate on Comedy Central, co-starring the late Lance Reddick? That's a satire of office drone life in an unquestionably evil company that is more viscious.

Both are brilliant, but as you say two different types of apple.

Utter Shit

Loved it at the time and was gutted and surprised that it got cancelled, it seemed like it was perfect for mass appeal. Fairly broad humour, good looking leads, bright and glitzy set design/lighting, and then on top of that it was really funny. Obviously it must not have been getting viewers but it's hard to understand why.