Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,328
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:34:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jon Glaser Loves Gear

Started by alan nagsworth, October 27, 2016, 06:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repeater

So, do you want returning tropes or not?

selectivememory

I wouldn't say it's the best episode, but I think the baseball one gave me more laughs than any other, although yeah, it definitely wasn't as imaginative as some of the other ones. It was Jon constantly and pointlessly explaining everything about the voices to anyone who would listen that got me. And the bit at the end where he gives the talk to the kids before the guy calls him a cocksucker in front of them was great; just him going 'this is real life right here, and real life is raw' etc., like those kids need to be confronted by his ridiculous reality as some kind of life lesson, rather than it just being another example of his extreme narcissism.

Also loved the latest episode. Gloriously dumb, especially
Spoiler alert
sending the fries into space at the end, when he could have gone to space himself if he hadn't got so sidetracked
[close]

My favourite moment from the entire run so far is Jon's reaction to being told he's 'totally cured' and entitled to free guacamole for life in the hockey episode. The look of pure joy on his face before he starts shouting about it, and his therapist cringing.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Can we say a quick word about the montages, like when they edit Jon telling a story just to keep the gist, or when they show it takes place 5, 10, 15 minutes or half an hour later? They're great at showing how much Jon is insufferable to everybody.

selectivememory

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on December 10, 2016, 06:51:29 PM
Can we say a quick word about the montages, like when they edit Jon telling a story just to keep the gist, or when they show it takes place 5, 10, 15 minutes or half an hour later? They're great at showing how much Jon is insufferable to everybody.

Yep. Probably my favourite running joke in the series is just Jon banging on about something in ridiculous detail to someone who couldn't conceivably be interested in what he's talking about. He's so wrapped up in his own 'journey' in each show, it's like he's forgotten that most people he's interacting with don't know him and wouldn't have any reason to want to hear what he's got to say unless it pertains directly to the gear.

non capisco

The 'Space/Self Defence' episode is another strong one. His 'Australian' disguise was beautifully milked for all it was worth. I cracked up every time the Aussie voice chimed in with 'Geeeee!'. Even him just answering a phone call and going 'Crikey!' got me. It's always the little touches with Glaser.

"I felt as sceeeeeeed as a wallaby on a croc beach and 'e's not got 'is boomerang!"

The 'Fishing' episode is still the one to beat, though. A truly exciting half hour or so of form-fucking comedy.

GEEEEEEEEEEARRRRRRRRRRR!

Repeater

QDRPHNC

I don't know why, but I nearly pissed myself laughing when he turned to the camera wearing his Australian disguise and said, "Lock and load."

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: non capisco on December 14, 2016, 11:11:51 PM
The 'Fishing' episode is still the one to beat, though. A truly exciting half hour or so of form-fucking comedy.

I loved that episode but 'Dogs' is still my favourite, and I can't stop myself doing the "Oh I know, I know" thing with alarming regularity.

Episode 9 - Another really strong episode which made me laugh a lot, but a slightly weaker one for me given that a lot of the time I could guess where it was going, and it structurally it was fairly conventional. Still lots of lovely moments though, including the
Spoiler alert
tender kiss, and Jon's drunken escapades at the failed Chillfest.
[close]

non capisco

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 16, 2016, 05:10:55 PM
I loved that episode but 'Dogs' is still my favourite, and I can't stop myself doing the "Oh I know, I know" thing with alarming regularity.

Oh, I KNOW!

brat-sampson

Dammit, I fancied a beer the other day and couldn't not think of it as a BEEEEEEEERRRRRR!

This show has gotten to me.

New Jack

This is a great show, really original, funny, maddeningly everyone I try to foist it on, just like Delocated, can't seem to understand Glaser's deliberately obnoxious character, instead asking why I watch something so obnoxious.

GEEEEEAR

Bacon

I loved the first episode, in particular John's relationship with his 'spurt. Haven't really enjoyed any episode beyond the first. John talking to his Czech Hockey teacher was quite funny. I guess I can't get behind his brand of obnoxiousness. Someone mentioned Danny McBride earlier in the thread, who I think is great but friends of mine really dislike I guess for similar reasons that I don't like Glaser that much.

Penfold

I continue to enjoy this series and have nothing further to add.

NoSleep

I just checked on the wiki to see how many more episodes there are (only one more) and noticed that the viewing figures are quite low (between 100-200k). I hope this is enough for Tru TV to give the go-ahead for another season.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It must be very cheap to produce, unless they have a bill with SpaceX.

non capisco

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: NoSleep on December 17, 2016, 04:20:21 PM
I just checked on the wiki to see how many more episodes there are (only one more) and noticed that the viewing figures are quite low (between 100-200k). I hope this is enough for Tru TV to give the go-ahead for another season.

I noticed that but I hope they'll at least give it one more series. Billy on the Street's kind of a hit show for them and only gets around .25 million viewers so I guess they don't ever do that well, though Billy must cost a tiny amount to make each week. Of more concern is the lack of coverage online, I can find reviews of the pilot but no one's done weekly recaps or anything like that which is a real shame given how the series has developed since then.

Povidone

Just catching up with this, ended up watching in 2 episode bursts and found after the high quality of 4+5 that 6+7 were a little bit flat but still pretty solid, I think it didn't help that Baseball covered very similar ground to Hockey, even bringing the therapist back. Mind you the
Spoiler alert
repeated whispering voice going 'ease his pain c**ksucker' had me in hysterics, that and the fact that it's never explained if those are edited into the final episode to give you an idea of what's going on or if you are supposed to be hearing what Jon is hearing
[close]
, such a wonderful disjointed reality this series has.

Really enjoyed the last 2 episodes, particularly Space and all the circuitous shit that it went through to get to the final pay off, fucking brilliant.

I may have to try and force a few people to watch this, Dogs and Fishing are two of the strongest half hours of comedy I have seen in a long while. I'm also emboldened by the fact I seem to have gotten my sister's fiance into Neon Joe without having realised, basically last time I saw him he heard me give a theatrical "he-yump" which I often find myself doing these days and he immediately recognised it for what it was, informing me that I was the one who brought it to his attention in the first place. Must have been exceedingly pished.

Petey Pate

Noticed that he used a photo of PFFR's John Lee for one of his party guests.  Didn't recognise any of the other people.

Penfold

I haven't rewatched it but was one of them Mike from Delocated?

Small Man Big Horse

Episode 10 -
Spoiler alert
Jon Glaser Human Gear! Spurt!  Gear comes the bride!
[close]
And lots of other bits which made me laugh that I can't be bothered to type out. Not as great as Dogs but it's still a lovely way to end the series, and goddamn this better come back. Riots will take place on the streets of Kilburn if it doesn't.

Repeater

His wife is such a fuckin downer. What a pain in the arse

Ant Farm Keyboard

I loved the little touch
Spoiler alert
of putting the fake family at the second row, at the same seat as the "real" one.
[close]

In retrospect, it's weird that Gear-I played a less and less important part with each episode of the second half.

Repeater

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's a waste of the talents of John Hodgman. When you can get Hodgman, it's a crime not to use him.

Repeater

Ant Farm Keyboard

Povidone

As an aside what is it that John Hodgman is best known for? I've always enjoyed him when he turns up in stuff I just find there's always a weird reverence around him that makes me think I must be missing something, like that QI episode where he is inexplicably added to one of the teams and Stephen Fry gives him a fawning introduction.

Repeater

Ant Farm Keyboard