Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:09:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Steam Deck

Started by Schmo Diddley, November 24, 2021, 02:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre boo-lez

If you too are a train dork, there's a Humble Bundle of a whole load of Train Sim World 3 stuff (including the base game) going for the next 7 days.

The current minimum price of £10.97 for the whole bundle is an absolute steal, and it runs nicely on the Deck.

Buy Me

pierre boo-lez

If you've been wanting your multiplayer deathmatch fix on the Deck but are worried that you no longer have the reflexes of a teenager, then I am pleased to inform you that with a minor bit of tinkering Chivalry 2 works very nicely.

Stove some idiots head in with an elaborate hammer while screaming a war cry about how you've shit yourself (no mic required).

chocky909

I've had my Steam Deck for a week or so now and it seems pretty great although I haven't even gotten started yet with all the possibilities. I'm still considering changing the 64gb SSD but for now I've whacked a 512gb SD card in it and it runs great.

I have run into a weird problem that I am struggling to find an answer through googling. So, I bought a Docking Station (not the official one) and I cannot get it to work with wired peripherals like my XBox controller, wired mouse or wired keyboard. All these work when I plug them into the Steam Deck USB-C port directly but when I use the USB3.0 sockets on the dock they will not work.

I thought it might be a fault with the dock so I ordered a different, more expensive model but that acts exactly the same way as the first.

Is there something obvious I am missing? All literature I've read seems to suggest it should work plug and play same as if I plugged directly to the deck.

chocky909

Update,

Ive realised the problem is something to do with the cables I'm using. The hub has three USB type A 3.0 sockets and the devices have USB type C 3.0 sockets. When I use type C to Type C cable direct to the Deck it works fine but type C to type A via the dock doesn't work and I've used about 5 different C to A cables.

When I dug out some old type A wired mice and keyboard they worked fine through the hub/dock.

Am I using the wrong cables?

JamesTC

Shot in the dark but I have seen it suggested on Reddit. Turn on the Steam Deck with the wired controller plugged in and spam the Xbox Logo button on the controller until it turns on.

chocky909

Thanks but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm convinced it's the USB cables I'm using. I tried with the cables that came with my Oneplus phones as they're rated for high speed charging and they worked with all my problem devices.

Weirdly I cannot find anyone talking about this online and have no idea what the key specs needed if I were to purchase additional cables. Probably just struggling to phrase the issue in Google.

Anyway, I just ordered a 512gb Batocera built emulation card so looking forward to that in a few days.

Pinball

Some nice builds for free on Arcadepunks.

Utter Shit

Details of the new Steam Deck coming out tomorrow!

madhair60

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 08, 2023, 09:44:14 AMDetails of the new Steam Deck coming out tomorrow!

Where are you hearing that?

Utter Shit

I have a friend in the industry who has been dealing with Valve directly and had a little play around with it. Doesn't sound like it's a major overhaul - OLED screen, bigger battery, slightly lighter...basically the bog-standard upgrades you'd expect. That might be all he was told rather than all it has though, maybe they're keeping more exciting news quiet until the announcement.

The biggest issues with the first gen Deck were it being big and heavy and battery life, so if they've improved those, that's probably a better upgrade than if they'd simply increased the performance.

madhair60

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 08, 2023, 04:28:52 PMI have a friend in the industry who has been dealing with Valve directly and had a little play around with it. Doesn't sound like it's a major overhaul - OLED screen, bigger battery, slightly lighter...basically the bog-standard upgrades you'd expect. That might be all he was told rather than all it has though, maybe they're keeping more exciting news quiet until the announcement.

oh thank god. would hate to feel outmoded. OLED is nice but the screen on my Deck is fine.

Timothy

Refurbished decks a lot cheaper as well now. Bought a 512gb yesterday. New one seems nice but a bit too expensive for me. Looking forward to it.

Is it difficult to put the emulators on it? And to play Epic Games and such?

Glyn

Quote from: Timothy on November 10, 2023, 06:20:22 AMIs it difficult to put the emulators on it? And to play Epic Games and such?

Emudeck is all you need for emulators.  Loads of emulators bundled into a very easy to use package. The actual process of transferring files was made a lot easier with a dock (and playing it on a big screen was a huge plus from that too) but there are other ways of doing that.

Epic Games took a little bit more work (I used the heroic launcher) but nothing more than following simple instructions which are easily found online.