Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:46:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Prosecco Stormfront [split topic]

Started by Kankurette, April 26, 2022, 08:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Every woman in England - not NI, Scotland or Wales, they don't exist - should vote Conservative for women's rights.

QuoteSo I don't agree with Angela Rayner's description of the Tories as scum, but I get her drift and if she'd been more tempered in her language I probably would have bought in.

HOWEVER

For me - and actually should be got everyone - the only real issue at the next GE is freedom of speech/women's rights.

I see Labour as the destroyer of these and so must vote against them. The only meaningful way to do this is to vote Tory which I am reluctant but prepared to do.

Is this unreasonable?

Happy to be convinced - for real not just words - if there is evidence Labour (Starmer 1 in 1000 women have a dick) may see the light before the GE.

What fucking planet do these people live on.

Brundle-Fly

Why don't the non-Prosecco Stormfront mums start their own message board?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 28, 2024, 11:48:49 AMWhy don't the non-Prosecco Stormfront mums start their own message board?
Were the Prosecco Stormfront mums normal once upon a time, and this is what internet message boards do to you? There was a site called NetMums which wasn't Mumsnet, what happened to it? Was it too boring to live?

Kankurette

I think they all migrated to Mumsnet. Someone (Vice?) had an article about why Mumsnet turned into TERF central.

There's also a horrible thread about a trans kid being bullied and of course Mumsnetters are fine with bullying when the kid is trans. There's a poster on MN Trolls, Innocenta, who's on Kiwifarms despite being both disabled and a lesbian (she's anorexic and really hates fat people, so that's part of why she's on KF, I'm guessing), and she's insisting that it's totes not transphobia, honest.

Bently Sheds

I get the feeling that there's a lot of posters on Mumsnet who are paid agitators whose sole purpose is to slowly nudge the more liberal, or more malleable towards accepting these right wing talking points. Kind of like LOLFox but with LeCreuset pans...

Kankurette

There's always an upswing in these posts around election time, and Mumsnet definitely has paid shills on both sides, but it is getting more right-wing for all they profess to hate the Tories.

I don't know how you can look at the COL crisis, sewage being pumped into the seas and beaches, crowded A&E departments, a useless public transport system, food shortages, families struggling to pay heating bills, no investment in renewable energy sources, food bank donation boxes in every supermarket, family law legal aid cuts, and schools falling down around kids' ears and think, "Trans people are the only thing that matters." What have the Tories even done for women's rights? And it shows what an absolute waste of time Keith pandering to TERFs is because they won't vote for him. Ever.

'Women's rights' used to mean things like equal pay and anti-DV campaigns and now when people say they support women's rights, it means 'I hate and fear trans people'.

jobotic

It's always "rights", never equality.

Kankurette

Or liberation. I don't even know what rights Labour want to take away. Sharing a bog with people who have vaginas is not a human right.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Kankurette

I posted about it on Mumsnet Trolls and got this reply:
QuoteThis thread is definitely to wind everyone up, and it's working as they're 33 pages in.

I hate that labour pretend not know what a woman is, it's ridiculous, but it's equally ridiculous to think that the Tory party care about women's rights. That's why so many labour voters, like me, find themselves 'politically homeless' at the moment.

To think that the decision of who runs the country could be decided on over the question of what a woman is, is frightening. Women need safe spaces and fairness in sport, it should be common sense and not be politically controversial.
It wasn't until the press told you it was.

jobotic

Previously a Labour voter but now left with no one to vote for? Yeah I know how you feel....oh no wait, yours is because you're a bigoted cunt? Yeah that's different then. You should vote Reform.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Kankurette on March 28, 2024, 12:28:02 PMI don't know how you can look at the COL crisis, sewage being pumped into the seas and beaches, crowded A&E departments, a useless public transport system, food shortages, families struggling to pay heating bills, no investment in renewable energy sources, food bank donation boxes in every supermarket, family law legal aid cuts, and schools falling down around kids' ears and think, "Trans people are the only thing that matters."

If you're as well off as I'd imagine a significant proportion of mumsnetters are then none of these things really affect you (well apart from the food/energy stuff in the long term, but that's still stuff that's likely to affect poorer people first) and you can continue living in a weird terf bubble thinking that trans people having a bit easier of a time of things is the worst thing happening to society

phantom_power

I wouldn't be surprised if Mumsnet was like Reddit, where lots of users are unaware of the shitty corners of it because they only frequent the nice, safe bits

Kankurette

She's now playing the 'my daughter is autistic and I'm concerned about her being brainwashed by trans ideology' card. I'm out.

The Guppy

Quote from: phantom_power on March 28, 2024, 04:09:31 PMI wouldn't be surprised if Mumsnet was like Reddit, where lots of users are unaware of the shitty corners of it because they only frequent the nice, safe bits

Yeah that happens on a lot of big forums. It's probably even true of this one. I'm scared of General Bullshit; feels like one of those 'no go areas' Tories talk about.

Rev+

I know we've got plenty of our own shorthand on here, but whenever they say 'DH' I just picture Clint Eastwood.

Kankurette

Another thing Mumsnetters are obsessed with: UPFs or, as this utter melt calls them, UHPs. Loads of posters suggest things for her guests to eat and she just ignores them. And she can't just ask them what they like and take it from there (or to do what my picky Aussie cousin did when he stayed with us in 2000 and bring a list of things he wouldn't eat).

Also, the phrase 'the NHS is on its knees' needs to be fucking banned from there. I mean, it is true, but it's such a Mumsnet cliche that Tattle have started mocking it. And it's not ~on its knees~ purely because of fat people.

wobinidan

Lily Alexandre made a great video about our usual suspects and it deserves some more eyes on it.

dontpaintyourteeth

This mumsnet place sure sounds upsetting. Glad I never look at it.

Kankurette

Imagine getting this upset about whether people say 'what' or 'pardon'. Fucking Jilly Cooper. I can guarantee that in the real world, a kid saying 'fuck' is far, far more likely to upset people than a kid saying 'pardon' (and I had a batshit insane maths teacher who used to get angry if anyone said 'what' to him).

Also, hat fucked on learning Peter Andre was on GB News (another thread that's trending). I had to laugh at the person on there defending Andrew Doyle. Doyle is a whiny baby who blocks anyone who either disagrees with them or, in my case, follows someone he doesn't like. I'd never even interacted with the cunt.

Fambo Number Mive

I think making the upper classes wince is a good thing.

Kankurette

Whatever you say, someone will get offended. 'What' is rude, 'pardon' is affected or common or means the person has 'notions' (I hate that term so much), 'sorry' sounds like an apology, there's probably some reason why 'excuse me' is unacceptable. One poster wrote this bollocks in response to a teacher saying she told her pupils to say 'pardon', not 'what':
QuoteThen you are wrong. Only the Queen can give a pardon... and now that would be only the King can give a pardon.... my mother would say.... to ANYONE who "pardoned" her. When my children have (rarely) been corrected by a less educated (or poorly educated) person, I have sent into school a one page copy of the OED stuck into their reading record, with an explainer and a request that if they have an issue with correct English Language usage, they take it up with me. What, or what did you say? Or please repeat that - to a teacher who takes exception to correct EL usage works.
I feel sorry for whoever teaches their kids. I also hope the teachers ignore it. Reminds me of the snobby mum in Anne of Avonlea who insists that Anne calls her son 'St Clair' and not 'Jacob', and that she pronounces his surname as 'Don-NELL'.

Fambo Number Mive

I feel sorry for her kids as well. Also, language evolves. I wonder how old the copy of the Oxford English Dictionary they are using is.

Kankurette

The GB News thread has gone as predicted. Loads of wailing about how the left are SO INTOLERANT and GB News isn't right-wing, it has balanced opinions, and why can't the left tolerate other people's opinions and GB News is a relief from the usual woke permanently offended news cycle.

GB News? Not permanently offended? Have we watched the same channel? Because whenever I've seen anything off it, it's someone who's offended by someone or something existing.
QuoteHave you ever watched GB News? It isn't 'right-wing' at all. In fact, half the presenters seem to be left-wing. Andrew Doyle supported Corbyn ffs. Just because some people don't want open borders, or don't believe that the boatloads of young men who keep crossing the channel are "poor frightened refugees," or don't believe that British history is evil and disgusting, that doesn't mean they're right-wing. I'm sick of that phrase. It's meaningless. It's now used to describe anyone who doesn't mindlessly regurgitate liberal-left views on everything. Some people are individualists who actually think for themselves. Outrageous isn't it!
...Andrew Doyle is a lefty?

Also, GB News presenters don't 'think for themselves', they say whatever will get people outraged, or just parrot the same conspiracy theory/anti-woke crap. The right have most of the press on their side and their own TV channel and they're still not bloody satisfied and they won't be until GB News is the official state broadcaster. Not to mention the amount of misinformation on that channel.

Fambo Number Mive

Reading that thread now. According to one poster on Mumsnet the term gammon is offensive to white people. I imagine that most people who use the term "gammon" are white.

And some posters on Mumsnet are trying to claim that if you don't like GB News you get your views from Tik Tok/the BBC.

I wonder if many Mumnetters love GB News because they have people like Lineham on.

Kankurette

Oh yeah, there's loads of people on there who watch GB News because of the anti-woke/transphobic stuff. They also think the majority of refugees who come here are men lying about their ages and that there are almost no women refugees, apart from the nice white Ukrainian ones. It is not a channel you go on for news, it's for getting your views validated.

Also, you don't get to complain about namecalling when you call everyone who disagrees with you 'woke' or 'libtard' or 'brainwashed' or whatever. (And TikTok is for kids, I doubt that many Mumsnetters are on it.)

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 07, 2024, 12:06:26 PMI wonder if many Mumnetters love GB News because they have people like Lineham on.

It's probably because they are very right-wing

Kankurette

I know they have the odd token lefty on but when you see the kind of people on that channel, I don't think you can call it balanced. Look at Triggernometry and you'll see the same names.

I don't watch GB News voluntarily but they've had it on at my gym from time to time.

Fambo Number Mive

Does Mumsnet tend to attract right wing mothers or are posters being radicalised by Mumsnet? Surely the kind of nonsense posted in that GB News thread can't reflect wider UK society? Although quite a few posters push back against the GB News fellating. Those are the ones who tend to offer an actual argument to back up their facts, whilst the GB News fans just deploy stuff like "Vocal abusive intolerant minority, goading the silent majority as per usually"

Kankurette

I think both. FWR has moved steadily to the right - not just on trans people but it's balls deep in culture war crap as well. Someone started a thread there complaining about a black actress playing The Little Mermaid. Tbf a lot of posters did say 'what has this got to do with women's rights?' but the fact that poster thought it was OK to post that in FWR is worrying. And the trans shit gets everywhere. Whether the thread is about dogs, food, TV, Brownies (a poster was considering not letting her daughter go on Pack Holiday for whatever reason and some TERF nutjob had to 'warn' her about Brownies letting trans girls join), someone will always shoehorn trans people into it. Or fat people, not least because we're singlehandedly destroying the NHS. 'The NHS is on its knees' is such a Mumsnet cliche that Tattle mock it regularly.

There's quite a bit of anti-TERF sentiment on Mumsnet Trolls but there is a vocal TERF contingent on there too. I got into it with one of them who defended KJK and said 'oh but she abhors Nazis, she can't help it if they come to her demos' and framed it as 'women versus trans people' because a popular FWR line is that anyone who dislikes them or complains about the racism is either a TRA or a man who doesn't like women having an opinion. Because nobody who disagrees with them can possibly be a cis woman.

I know people will argue that Mumsnet is left-wing because loads of them hate the Tories, but I'm not so sure. There are an awful lot of ex-Labour voters who think Starmer is a misogynist and they just can't vote Labour and anyway single-issue voters are important.