Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:24:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Office 365-a-like for people who don't want to pay for Office 365

Started by im barry bethel, September 27, 2015, 04:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

im barry bethel

Nipper has started secondary school and it seems all the teachers are too lazy to give proper homework so they just set a doc.x file instead, okay if you've got Office but a pain in the arse if you haven't (and like me are too tight to pay Microsoft £5.99 a month), now I'm not one for shonky software or torrenty nicked stuff so do any of you officey types know of a free program that will work with Windows 8?

HappyTree

Gurke and Hare

If you just need to print it out so Nipper can write the answers on it, there's free Word viewer software as well.

Queneau

Like lots of other similar things in life, I downloaded a torrent of this complete with a file to "crack" it. Yeah, I said it.

Consignia

You can use Google docs. In general, it's a pretty good substitute for Office. It has short comings, but nothing a kid is going to notice.

HappyTree reccommended OpenOffice but I'd go with LibreOffice. In fact I very much do go with LibreOffice.

LibreOffice was OpenOffice once upon a time and then the project was forked, due to licensing I think.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Queneau on September 27, 2015, 06:08:33 PM
Like lots of other similar things in life, I downloaded a torrent of this complete with a file to "crack" it. Yeah, I said it.

The suede denim secret police will be breaking down your door before you know it.

Grazor

Softmaker Office make the older version of their software free - no ads or anything like that.

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/

The UI is slightly clunkier, but it does a good job of supporting all the stuff in MS Office without mangling things up.

Queneau

Eis Nein

Quote from: Too Many Cochranes on September 27, 2015, 06:24:24 PM
HappyTree reccommended OpenOffice but I'd go with LibreOffice. In fact I very much do go with LibreOffice.

LibreOffice was OpenOffice once upon a time and then the project was forked, due to licensing I think.

This.

Fully compatible, open source.

im barry bethel

Thanks all you lovely lovely computer types, tried Happy Trees Open Office and while it worked it was a bit hit and miss with some of the stuff missing, tried TMC's Libre Office and so far it's good as gold...

Now the little shit darling has no excuse for not getting the homework done (is "the laptop kept crashing Miss" the 21st Century 'dog ate my homework/left it on the bus?)

Blumf

Yeah, use LibreOffice, not OpenOffice. I forget the exact details but most the OO devs forked off to make LO instead, so OO is getting minimal work now.

HappyTree

Ah, that's good to know. Vive la liberté! I use MS Office cos I have to use its Track Changes for work. But I'll delete OO which has indeed become a bit crap and replace it with Libre as a backup editor. Merci!

You could also just buy Office 2010 - they haven't changed anything at all since about 2007 other than the UI so you're pretty safe.

Can't understand why anyone would bother with Office on subscription. Microsoft... fucking greedy cunts.