Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:07:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection PS4

Started by Pinckle Wicker, October 11, 2015, 09:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/10/09/uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection-now-available-on-ps4/

Well I have this arriving today and am looking forward to spending some time over the autumnal nights getting through these. I have had a bit of a gaming void after playing The Last of Us, nothing has kinda captured my attention as much as that game did. RE Chronicles 2 was pretty close though but never emerged m into the gameplay as much as TLOU does.
Anyone else got this yet?

I picked it up and I've put in a few hours now with Drake's Fortune. I never played the first game so I don't know how it compares but it looks quite pretty at times, very colourful. It is that halfway house where the animations and fundamentals are last gen with tarted up particle effects and lighting. The 60 FPS helps too but I'd say that the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is more visually impressive.

I enjoyed my time with the later games but I did prefer the exploratory sections and set pieces to the relentless cover shooting and waves of idiots to shoot. This is obviously much worse, though, in that respect. You have so little to time to breathe or enjoy the environments because you're killing hundreds and hundreds of identical enemies.

That said, it's a decent romp and I expected nothing more. It's mechanically all right, as good as I could expect for a game this old that was their first bold step into the form. I'm looking forward to moving onto Uncharted 2 but I am enjoying much of the ride so far, and getting to know the characters might make the story more engaging later on. I've now successfully played them in reverse order. Must be a trophy for that!

Onken

Uncharted is my favourite none Nintendo game franchise. I have platinums with all three on the PS3 and have jumped straight on to Crushing this time to unlock the new difficulty. The only section in Drake's Fortune so far that was tricky on Crushing was this section midway through. It should be fun to play it on Brutal. One hit and you're basically dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5sPME0Hu10

Famous Mortimer

It's a lot of fun, but I do wish the stuff you find lying around in the first game had some rhyme or reason to it - I remember "Tomb Raider: Legend" (still my gold standard for level construction) had some amazing puzzles to solve to get the gold things.

I think 1 is the only one of the three I played when they were first released, so I'm looking forward to playing through them all. Re: the graphics of part 1, completely agree with The Boston Crab above.

mobias

I'd be almost tempted to get this for Uncharted 2 but its a bit much just for one game. Uncharted 3 never really did it for me. My gaming life is taken up by other games for the foreseeable future so I think I'll pass.

SPOILERS FOR UNCHARTED 1 TO FOLLOW

I really enjoyed that.

It got better towards the end, it was pretty challenging even on Easy (no interest in prolonging cover shooter stuff) and I got quite into the story, a pretty well earned Hollywood 'twist' and I enjoyed the interplay between Nate and Elena. I also thought that the 'Spaniards' were a pretty intense enemy and there were movement elements there which reminded me of TLOU. Quite scary those sequences, and well escalated by pitting you against two enemies and them against each other. So, too much shooting in general and some pretty repetitive elements but after a sag in the middle it finished pretty strongly.

Uncharted 2 has blown it away in the first twenty minutes.

Onken

The ammo drops on Brutal is two bullets per enemy! If you just let yourself die you'll come back with a full pistol loaded with a clip 24 so it defeats the challenge. The AI doesn't seem to be any tougher but the game may as well be in black and white if you want to make every shot count.

Hollow

I'll stick with the PS3 versions, no need for me to play the same games again but slightly prettier and slightly smoother is there?

I'm really starting to wonder about this need to push every game to 60 fps, it can in some cases like TLOU, become a distraction, needlessly reminding you that you're playing a game.

It's only really necessary for older style games, you know? The kind hardly anyone plays these days.

Stable framerate is so much better than ultra smooth, there's just something unnatural about it.

Onken

A little bit further into Drakes Fortune and Brutal is unforgiving. Had a quick blast on it tonight and barely progressed at all. Instant death whenever you pop out of cover if facing more than one enemy. Having to use blind fire to insist they keep their distance. I won't be giving up just yet. I'll beat it eventually but its the body count won't be pretty.

Quote from: Hollow on October 13, 2015, 10:30:24 PM
I'll stick with the PS3 versions, no need for me to play the same games again but slightly prettier and slightly smoother is there?

I can only speak about the first game but they've done a really nice job refining the controls and eliminating all the graphics problems. Thats where most of the work has supposedly been done.

Hollow

Yes, i'd heard, not paying full price for a spruced up Drake's Fortune.

I'll end up getting it for that reason one day though, that game has not aged that well on PS3.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

It's nice that they've standardised the controls across the series - largely bringing the original in line with the improved mechanics of the sequels - particularly as readjusting to an ever-so-slightly different control layout is a ball ache when playing each title in quick succession.

I'm aiming to get my money's worth out of each game before pressing on to the next - I overplayed Drake's Fortune when I first got a PS3, so I know that game inside-out, with few surprises I'd forgotten about, but it's been long enough since I played the second (maybe even the third) for it to feel fresher.

I'm working my way through Crushing without too many problems, so I'll definitely have to give Brutal a crack, to see if it's manageable or too unreasonably frustrating to bother attempting.

Onken

45 minutes later and still on the same section in Chapter 4. Its a piss take.

Onken

It's frustrating see trophy notifications in all directions from the second and third game while I'm still slogging away at Drakes Fortunes Brutal difficulty.

I'm up to Chapter 15. I'm finding it less frustrating now and adapted my cover technique to avoid taking any damage.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Onken on October 21, 2015, 10:52:02 PM
It's frustrating see trophy notifications in all directions from the second and third game while I'm still slogging away at Drakes Fortunes Brutal difficulty.

I'm up to Chapter 15. I'm finding it less frustrating now and adapted my cover technique to avoid taking any damage.

Yeah. Seeing the clip of someone repeating a single section of the final boss battle over and over - the midpoint QuickTime event that immediately launches you into a firefight where one hit kills you - put me off bothering.