Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:57:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wonderland Dizzy released to play for free in online browsers

Started by Replies From View, October 27, 2015, 06:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Replies From View

A thread topic that I shall bother with on a future occasion, definitely.

DukeDeMondo

I was tryin for to play Treasure Island Dizzy on that fansite that has all of them the other night but for some reason my laptop / firefox / both really doesn't like havin to do things like that any more. 4oD, iPlayer, Treasure Island Dizzy off that fansite... it's all Bufferin' Bob from here till doomsday last few weeks for some reason.

So I haven't played Wonderland Dizzy yet. Soon as I can though I'll be givin a right old batterin.

Kelvin

One shot in the trailer shows you obtaining a whip and a "backdoor" key.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Surprised by how much this seems influenced specifically by the Disney adaptation of Alice in Wonderland.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on October 28, 2015, 09:49:39 AM
Surprised by how much this seems influenced specifically by the Disney adaptation of Alice in Wonderland.

I'm a tiny bit disappointed that the game reuses the Magicland Dizzy map so extensively, but the differences are enough to make it feel like a different game.  I don't know what led to Wonderland Dizzy being abandoned in the first place, but perhaps they were anxious about the fact that this was to be a full price title, and the full price Crystal Kingdom Dizzy had already not gone down well with people who thought it wasn't good value for money.  The comparisons with Magicland Dizzy can be ignored now that Wonderland Dizzy is free, but as a full price release I'm not so sure.

The tag-team back and forth of Dizzy and Daisy works well too.  I'm playing it in "fun mode" which means infinite lives, and think I'd be getting frustrated otherwise as a fall above a certain height leads to instant death.  Worth checking out once you get a chance.  I'm currently stuck on the trampoline segment though.  Apparently there's a ledge to reach, but fuck knows how.

Edit:  Easy to miss; the ALT key makes your jump on the trampoline higher.  I'm so used to pissing about with pixel-perfect jumping in Dizzy games that that didn't occur to me.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on October 28, 2015, 08:28:39 AM
One shot in the trailer shows you obtaining a whip and a "backdoor" key.

In the first level of Crystal Kingdom Dizzy, Daisy is found outside her hut in a pissy mood, refusing to let Dizzy come near her or her hut.  You can climb into the hut through the window, though, and find a whip in her bedroom.

Not sure what kids were supposed to make of that.

The whip in Wonderland Dizzy is specifically called 'A LEATHER WHIP', as well.

madhair60

I asked the Oliver Twins about the whip when they were in Cambridge recently, and one of them said "We didn't put that in.  We wouldn't put in something like that".  I then played Fantasy World Dizzy in front of them and fucked it up royally within five minutes.

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on October 28, 2015, 12:38:17 PM
I asked the Oliver Twins about the whip when they were in Cambridge recently, and one of them said "We didn't put that in.  We wouldn't put in something like that".

I can't remember when the Oliver Twins stopped having much involvement in the Dizzy games (their involvement was fading around Magicland if I recall correctly), but I'm pretty sure that they had little to no involvement in 'Crystal Kingdom Dizzy' and Big Red Software did it alone.