Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,787
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:41:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Awfully New Cricket Thread

Started by aaaaaaaaaargh!, March 02, 2009, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah.

Chanderpaul really is odd isn't he- century for the taking but he takes a single off the first over to Roach, who then gets out, then does the same thing to Edwards, who gets out. For a supposedly 'selfish' cricketer he doesn't seem to want that century very much.

The new guy must be fucking shit at batting if Edwards is above him.

rjd2

Always been the way Shiv plays, he gives way to much strike to the tailenders because he can't accelerate at the end of the innings himself. Its one of his few flaws sadly.

Anyways Roach has bowled Cook, they needed that England were cruising.

rjd2

highlight of the morning was a majestic rant from holding on the dreadful treatment of Jerome Taylor from the WICB  who from all accounts has retired from cricket at only 27. What a shame, great bowler who was probably more consistent than Fidel and a very useful batsman as well. 

It should be on Youtube soon enough hopefully.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah, Holding looked like he wanted to either cry or smash something, which is probably what most people who support West Indies feel like permanently.

He did well to stop himself, he could've had a Network- style breakdown.

Why didn't they play Shillingford? He's been on good form, and offers at least some variation.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

They must've been expecting a nice green track like England have produced the last two summers. 4 seamers at Trent Bridge and Edgbaston wouldn't have been an awful shout, but at Lords it's leaving them with precious little variation.

rjd2

Lets not forget Swann was played very easily yesterday, so its doubtful the less talented Shillingford would have fared better bowling against better batsmen.

They are missing Ravi a little here, he actually takes wickets these days while sadly Edwards despite all his pace and effort doesn't.

Nobody Soup

the windies are also missing talent, work ethic, management, preperation, common sense and hope.

George Oscar Bluth II

TMS has been glorious today. Absolutely glorious.

Better than yesterday? With the Straight Outta Compton cricket club and Blowers referring to Marlon Samuels as Marlon Brando.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

West Indies currently busy blowing yet another half decent opportunity to win a game (or at least be in a game). They only needed 300 or so to set England a nervous chase, but even this is way too much to ask in between their impatience, incompetence and farcical running between the wickets.

rjd2

Barath did little wrong but Edwards and especially Powell deserve a stern talking to. Darren Bravo needs to work on his running as well.

Anyways fine session of cricket this morning, Shiv and surprisingly Samuels have batted excellently. Sadly for them its a bit to late, new ball due after lunch and get end this partnership and you have the woeful Ramdin, Sammy who may find it a little more difficult to smash it here and 3 bowlers who don't have any runs in them.

rjd2

Marlon gone, shame I really wanted him to get a century. Ramdin looks like a dead man walking here, should be dismissed soon enough. A chase of 150+ would be fun to watch but even that may be asking to much.

rjd2

Shivv gone, monster innings as usual, but it was a misjudged shot which killed him.  Ramdin has battled but he has never looked in, he or Sammy need a 50 or so to give them 150 or so to defend. Doubtful.

rjd2

Incredibly stupid shot from Sammy to give it away after a promising innings. A useful 200 lead was on if he has the self control not to try and smash everything. In an ideal world especially as he is captain he would learn from such recklessness but nope he will be back slogging like a loon next match.

Up to King Ramdin to get them another 30 or so runs..

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Do i want Windies to win...do i?

rjd2

I'd like to see them do it myself, but England's batting depth should be enough. If England can see the first hour out then they will be ok, Sammy as a captain has a tendency to lose it when the opposition gets a few partnerships sadly. It was a fantastic day of cricket to be fair and the West Indies deserve immense credit to be an any position to win this match after their collapse yesterday.

Also Gayle's IPL team were eliminated today, will be interesting to see if they reach out to him for the next 2 Tests.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Genuine challenge now for England here, 33-3.

Nasser Hussain has just used the term 'big unit' so ought to be shot, really. To dead.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

rjd2

Comfortable enough for England in the end despite a tough start.

Fidel needs to be dropped,not sure about Shannon promising start but I;d like to see Shillingford and Ravi in the next test and Roach despite way to many no balls is rightfully a cert to play.

Gayle won't be here for this or even the 3rd test, so they have to pray that Powell does better.

No changes either for England needed, Bresnan has weak stats but I wouldn't drop him just yet for media darling Finn.

I don't want to see Ravi back even if he is fit for next test either.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/18160309

Holy crap! Best (of "Mind the windows tino" fame) has been recalled!

rjd2

His bowling average is worse than Fidel Edwards! Hope both play for giggles.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Nice stuff by the Windies today! Samuels and Sammy effectively proving their batting potential which we don't see enough of.

I've been trying hard to get across to people how much better Samuels is since he was last in the team. His record in all formats since 2010 has been top class. And Sammy just needed to calm down and bat with some fucking maturity- and there you go!

It justifies the decision to bat- crucial day tomorrow for England- they need to be the better fielding and batting side in the 90 overs to come to get into this game.

rjd2

Impressive fightback indeed, I'd like Sammy to get a century, seems like a nice chap who gets to much criticism.

Sadly none of their top 3 look capable of a meaningful score, Edwards has been the biggest letdown.

West Indies hopefully won't give it away in the morning, as its an absolute road.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Disgraceful effort in the field so far by West Indies. Some half-hearted ground fielding and 19 extras, most of which are no-balls from Kemar Roach.

rjd2

Pitch is very flat, but Kemar's no balls were a killer. England are on for a 500+ score here. Perfect pitch for Bairstow to get some runs as well.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

500+ looks like a bit of a push after the middle order let us down again. Bairstow looked concerningly vulnerable to the short one.

On the plus side we have a lead and West Indies will need at least 300 in reply now. Can't remember the last time they did that in both innings of a test match, at least not in England.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Windies tottering here, still in arrears and 3 wickets down.

rjd2

Good old fashioned collapse from the West indies just when I was getting excited about a tough chase for England. Some good bowling obviously but some brutal batting. Powell, Barath, Edwards and Bravo have all underwhelmed so far. I wasn't expecting anything more than a few pretty 30 or 40 type scores from Powell or Barath, but Edwards and Bravo are players that really needed to contribute more and had shown that they could before this.

Probably worth giving Deonarine or Fuaddin a shot in the next Test for Edwards whose confidence looks shattered, at least the other 3 may score something even if it is peanuts.