Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:04:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Captain Tom grift continues

Started by Icehaven, July 05, 2023, 06:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

What's the scrap value? Could be a decent profit in this.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Ferris on March 17, 2024, 10:10:18 PMWhat's the scrap value?

if he gets one good hit in with the walker first then he could conceivably handle himself for a short while after, but otherwise he's gonna get planted as soon as fists start to fly

idunnosomename

lmao this

QuoteThe statue depicts the inspirational figure of Sir Captain Tom Moore, a World War II veteran who raised millions of pounds for the National Health Service (NHS) during the COVID-19 pandemic. It is a first edition and was produced in 2020 by a skilled artisan, making it a unique piece of contemporary art.

The statue is a representation of postmodernism, contemporary figurative art, and outsider art, with touches of realism and protest art. It portrays the theme of conflicts and wars, social history, and domestic and family life.

it's ART!!! not something I made to cash in on a fad before its arse fell out. po-mo tom.

Quote from: Ferris on March 17, 2024, 10:10:18 PMWhat's the scrap value? Could be a decent profit in this.
this one is a resin cast made from the moulds of his original clay sculpture, which means it's essentially a type of plastic. kinda weird he doesn't give the weight or detail precisely what it is.

QuoteMADE FOR INSIDE BUT WITH CARE COULD HE PLACED OUTSIDE.
bit cagey. a professional could probably tell you precisely what it is from that.

the bronze one he really wants to offload because he sunk an absolute fortune into it I guess is worth about 2 grand scrap?

Cold Meat Platter

Doesn't mention the buggered Burmese child hidden in the heart of the piece

Dex Sawash

Rockaway Recycling in New Jersey is buying bronze at $2.45/pound today. I need to check the other metals because that sounds very high.

Dex Sawash

Fuck me, rock rock rockaway beach gonna be on loop forever now

Russ L

Quote from: iamcoop on February 25, 2024, 08:40:19 PMHad a preview of episode three, some juicy guests on that one. Let's just say it's a podcast with a wonderful 'atmosphere'

Surprising, but if Captain Tom is appearing from beyond the grave then I suppose there's no reason why Ian Curtis can't.

touchingcloth

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 18, 2024, 12:12:59 AM
QuoteThe statue is a representation of postmodernism, contemporary figurative art, and outsider art, with touches of realism and protest art. It portrays the theme of conflicts and wars, social history, and domestic and family life.

I always thought that "outsider art" was that created by marginalised communities - homeless people, prisoners, mentally ill bald men.

I've never taken it to mean "art depicting someone who was often seen outside".

Brian Freeze

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 18, 2024, 12:12:59 AMbit cagey. a professional could probably tell you precisely what it is from that.

The resin won't be UV stable, so Uncle Tom needs a brolly. 

idunnosomename

i think he's just saying he's self-taught rather than with degrees from art school, which is a stretch of the term for sure.

however i think this work of his qualifies

touchingcloth

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 18, 2024, 12:25:46 PMi think he's just saying he's self-taught rather than with degrees from art school

How would a degree from art school have helped with any of the atrocities of war he committed? Mengele didn't have one.

RottonRaddish

I'm going to have to compile a list of memorials and tributes to the good captain that are still standing. Then in Wowbagger style insult the prick behind it.

Fambo Number Mive

Idiotic drinkers have threatened to boycott a pub in Pontefract that painted over a mural of Captain Tom on the side of the building. The artist is defending the pub.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pub-paints-over-famous-captain-32517009

frajer

Dozy fucker's walked through all the coloured paint trays and is about to traipse his mess into the pub.

Alberon

Yeah, look at the length of that walking stick hanging off the walker, and the rainbow footprints left behind should have the protestors frothing.

They should be glad it was painted over.

Fambo Number Mive

The face looks more like Henry Kissinger than Tom.

frajer

No-one must know I dropped my glasses in the urinal trough. Not I, the man who single-handedly saved the NHS.

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

Fambo Number Mive

And frequent reference on Fawlty Towers.

He's killed Mickey Mouse and crafted him into a walking frame, using the famous ears for grip as an enduring reminder of "who's the daddy"

Ferris

Love that we're at the "paint murals over and pretend he never existed" phase

Blumf

Welcome to the dustbin of history.

TheAssassin

Quote from: Russ L on March 18, 2024, 09:50:32 AMSurprising, but if Captain Tom is appearing from beyond the grave then I suppose there's no reason why Ian Curtis can't.
Ian Curtis was cremated, so no grave, and his "headstone" was stolen couple years ago.

Russ L

Quote from: TheAssassin on April 06, 2024, 04:18:09 AMIan Curtis was cremated, so no grave, and his "headstone" was stolen couple years ago.

So it wasn't his podcast after all?  I'm sure I read somewhere that being cremated means that you can't record podcasts any more.

Fambo Number Mive

Lots of new postings on the Gift of Kindness website:

QuoteWhen I was a child, my knee was bitten out by a fox that had seemingly squished itself through a gap in our garden fence (later repaired with some urgency). I had been dozing in the summer sun that day, and the visceral stab of unending pain ruined my entire summer holiday if I'm honest.

I was told by the doctor to take the first week of the school term off, even though I'd already received my operation and my parents believed I had recovered enough. I just wish to take this opportunity to thank my late father, who so kindly aided my educational development by driving me into school on the term's first day to learn, even though in many ways 'walking naturally' was temporarily not my middle name.

Is it a coincidence then that the very kindest of all men, Captain Tom Moore himself, fought against the odds to demonstrate the very capacity of walking around a garden or within a school building. It just speaks such truth.

Thanks Dad, and thanks Captain Tom Moore.

QuoteI am a 102 year old ex-RAF pilot who has had an incredibly exciting life which I wouldn't change for the world. However, at my age, I was starting to run out of challenges to keep me entertained. I'd tried abseiling, I'd tried Street Fighter 6, but nothing felt quite right. Then I had a moment of epiphany.

"What would Sir Captain Tom do?".

I realised that at this point of my life, my time was best spent not finding a physical challenge which might make me pop my clogs, but to reflect on all of the amazing things I have achieved in my long, and frankly amazing life.

That is why I decided to become a published author. It was on New Years Eve at the start of this year that I had the eureka moment, as my disappointing children threw a party in my name just to try and win favour (Len is the worst).

Since then I have written three books, the words flow out of me so naturally that I don't even go back to edit them. I did with the first one, but could not find a single mistake, so I didn't bother wasting my time like that again. Much like Sir Captain Tom, it turns out I have a real talent as an author and am already having ideas for my fourth book, which I hope to publish before new years eve to get four out this year. It's going to be titled "Easy Money", but beyond that, I cannot reveal a word. You'll just have to keep an eye out! 

Thanks Sir Captain Tom, you continue to be an inspiration to many, even in the afterlife!

QuoteMany many thank yous to Loyd Grossman who taught me how to say "ew" before that particular expression made its way across the pond. When ultimately our US cousins arrived here in their thousands and were saying "ew", I had a head start understanding what they meant.

Fambo Number Mive

Very apt with all the HS Art threads

QuoteMy pal Trev. Thanks mate. 

B Knight 

Worcester, England

Ferris

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 20, 2024, 06:11:17 PMLots of new postings on the Gift of Kindness website:

My Hans Moleman/sugar truck one has finally made it to publication.

idunnosomename

It has to be some sort of scam to make it look like they're running some kind of business. Nearly all of it is nonsense.

Another CaB one spotted

QuoteSeveral years ago, I attended a charity event in old London town where Nicholas Lyndhurst was a guest speaker. After listening to his inspiring speech about the importance of giving back to the community, I approached him to express my admiration for his work.

To my surprise, Nicholas was incredibly kind and humble. He took the time to chat with me, shared some behind-the-scenes anecdotes from his time on Goodnight Sweetheart, and even offered to take a photo together. His warmth and genuine interest in our conversation left a lasting impression, making that charity event a memorable and heartwarming experience. If I had access to a time portal like the one Nicholas Lyndhurst found in Goodnight Sweetheart, I would use it to transport myself back to that wonderful evening. 

F. Crane

Seattle, Washington USA