Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vape-ginity

Started by Clownbaby, March 07, 2024, 06:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Quote from: shoulders on March 08, 2024, 08:03:00 AMAgreed.

Was thinking about you and this thread last night when I saw this. Tim Booth, Select, August 98:

There ya go, kava nuts and dancing, sorted.

shoulders

Quite funny comments by yer man Booth there because he ruptured two discs in his necks dancing on stage in the US around that time!

Icehaven

Fwiw, which is probably not much, apart from all the extremely good advice about not vaping for health reasons, it looks fucking stupid as well. Grown adults clutching little dummies with dry ice puffing out of their mouths and noses like crap dragons, it's embarrassing. I'm at an absolute loss as to why kids are apparently taking it up in droves, unless it really is the bright colours and fruity flavours (god, it's alcopops all over again) being marketed at them, which makes it even more absurd that adults do it too, although more understandable if they're trying to give up smoking. No sense in it at all if you're not already a smoker though. 

Clownbaby

Okay, so don't vape. got it. Close thread.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 08, 2024, 09:26:54 AMOkay, so don't vape. got it. Close thread.

For a balanced view, do take up vaping.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 08, 2024, 10:00:10 AMFor a balanced view, do take up vaping.

Agreed. I think it is a very good thing they are dangerous and addictive.

Sebastian Cobb

Still find it mad there's adults who've got on them having never smoked tabs. Kids I can kind of understand just loads of them do stupid stuff.

Blue Jam

Isn't it supposed to be illegal to sell vapes to someone who has never smoked tobacco? Not that anyone bothers checking of course.

I remember when the ban on flavoured vape liquid was first mooted and thinking "I know a lot of smokers who finally managed to quit thanks to vapes, why make the process even more miserable for them?" but now more never-smokers are vaping I get it. @Icehaven's alcopop analogy is a good one but even before that cigarette manufacturers were adding flavours to tobacco to make it more appealing to children.

Disposable vapes really can get in grave, just seeing how many end up as litter and plastic waste is depressing. Just let people buy reusable vapes and blend their own flavours, that seems to be a good compromise.

Sebastian Cobb

First I've heard of them being restricted to smokers, even if they're a cessation device I don't think they ask questions when you buy nicotine gum etc.

I did hear once tobacco companies for involved they realised they were better business than cigs as the juice can be made cheaper in a chemical process (vs roasting etc) and the release means for higher 'bumps' in nicotine making them more addictive apparently.

shoulders

Quote from: Icehaven on March 08, 2024, 09:26:36 AMFwiw, which is probably not much, apart from all the extremely good advice about not vaping for health reasons, it looks fucking stupid as well. Grown adults clutching little dummies with dry ice puffing out of their mouths and noses like crap dragons, it's embarrassing. I'm at an absolute loss as to why kids are apparently taking it up in droves, unless it really is the bright colours and fruity flavours (god, it's alcopops all over again) being marketed at them, which makes it even more absurd that adults do it too, although more understandable if they're trying to give up smoking. No sense in it at all if you're not already a smoker though. 

This is an infantilised generation, so if people think fizzy pop, Dominos pizza etc are products adults should consume daily why wouldn't they think vapes are?

QuoteI'm at an absolute loss as to why kids are apparently taking it up in droves

Surely you aren't. They tick basically every single criteria a teenager looks for.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 08, 2024, 12:28:26 PMI did hear once tobacco companies for involved they realised they were better business than cigs as the juice can be made cheaper in a chemical process (vs roasting etc) and the release means for higher 'bumps' in nicotine making them more addictive apparently.

Fascinating post on here recently by someone (forgot who, sorry), who has a mate in an advertising agency. And they quit when Philip Morris or whoever commissioned "give up smoking" advertisments at the same time as pro-vaping ones.

Sebastian Cobb

That might've been me, a pal left a certain mag/website that's just gone down the tubes because of it!

Icehaven

Quote from: shoulders on March 08, 2024, 12:33:22 PMSurely you aren't. They tick basically every single criteria a teenager looks for.

Do they? Why? Cigarettes were very successfully marketed as "cool" for decades, with plenty of help from film/rock stars along the way, but vaping hasn't had any such assistance so what I'm at a loss at is where kids have got the idea it's hip*, other than because adults don't want them to do it. As I mentioned above it looks quite silly (even the more discreet ones still look like you're sucking a flash drive from 15 years ago), and has never had the advertising industry et al going balls out to convince us otherwise the way cigs did. 

*deliberately outdated word employed for fun, I'm not actually 95.

shoulders

- Naughty thing adults do which is not allowed ✅
- Naughty as in might get you mildly high ✅
- Sweet flavoured ✅
- Produces big plumes of vapour you can stink places out with and behave generally antisocially ✅
- Gadgety with components, colours and spinoffs ✅

Yes vape is basically a 360° child magnet, if it didn't contain nicotine and hadn't already been placed on the market for adults then you'd assume it was a child's product.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 08, 2024, 12:16:52 PMIsn't it supposed to be illegal to sell vapes to someone who has never smoked tobacco? Not that anyone bothers checking of course.

How would that work? You have to smoke a cigarette in front of the shop keeper before buying one?

Blue Jam

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 08, 2024, 01:31:11 PMHow would that work? You have to smoke a cigarette in front of the shop keeper before buying one?

I dunno, I thought there was some guidance when vape shops started opening, that staff should ask before selling anything, a bit like pharmacists ask "Are you buying this for yourself? Have you used this medication before?". Nothing to stop people lying in either case of course.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 07, 2024, 07:00:49 PMI'm afraid there is no shortcut to relaxation that isn't fucking awful for you.

What about jacuzzis? One of my cousins had one installed as he had a bad back (I'm not quite sure why he didn't just go to chiropractor, but still), and when I visited last summer he insisted I try it out,and after about half an hour I was in a blissful state the likes of which I didn't experience back when I used to smoke weed. I'm not sure if his was an especially powerful jacuzzi, indeed I'd go so far as to say I am not a jacuzzi expert, but it felt like every bone in my body had been massaged by an expert, and if I could afford one (and a house to put one in) I'd buy one in an instant.

mojo filters

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 08, 2024, 01:31:11 PMHow would that work? You have to smoke a cigarette in front of the shop keeper before buying one?

Thank you for asking that. It seemed too obvious, so I assumed there was more to this notion I was not aware of, but I wasn't brave enough to ask what?

bgmnts

Jizzing into the pasta salad bar at Harvesters with nobody looking is a consequence free and healthy state of ecstasy.

I've heard.

shoulders

QuoteWhat about jacuzzis?

You know who died in a Jacuzzi?

Matthew Perry

Right, jacuzzis, great fun. You get in them, next thing you know: Dead.

Sebastian Cobb

Isolation tank > jacuzzi

Clownbaby

Just so people know, I'm not entirely stupid, and don't think or want to suggest that vaping is any healthier than alcohol, it obviously fucking isn't. I am however very depressed at the moment and coming to terms with the fact that I may have obsessive compulsive disorder. I've been quite a heavy (but functioning) drinker for the best part of 8 years, (a lot of my friends assume I'm just an absolute heavyweight, really it's just a very high tolerance from being used to having a lot of drink during the week) with intermittent months/weeks where I successfully stop drinking and feel great, then fall back into the habit of drinking, when my brain decides to go into hyperdrive again. I'm sick of feeling like I'm hungover constantly and would rather be having an unhealthy thing that doesn't give me a hangover. In my stupid reasoning, that's a slight improvement from having a full 70cl bottle of whisky in a day.

I've got this vape in my house now and I feel a bit embarrassed about owning it, but last night I had a drag from it before bed when I was feeling anxious, and slept very well.

Endicott

Congrats on getting off the booze. I'm sure you know, that amount of spirits is more than just problematic, it will kill you before you're 50. I've seen it happen.

I echo what others have said about addiction replacements, but from a pragmatic standpoint I'd take anything short term to get me off alcohol if I was drinking as heavily as that. So in that regard I don't think you're being stupid.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on March 08, 2024, 04:27:21 PMJizzing into the pasta salad bar at Harvesters with nobody looking is a consequence free and healthy state of ecstasy.

I've heard.

Hiya Gregg Wallace mate

Goldentony

Quote from: Icehaven on March 08, 2024, 09:26:36 AMI'm at an absolute loss as to why kids are apparently taking it up in droves

fidget spinners you can have a smoke with

Pranet

I know this isn't the same thing, but I once bought some rolling tobacco at a festival and I had to say what my usual brand was before they would sell it to me, as if I had to prove I was a smoker  or I couldn't buy it. (I wasn't a day to day smoker at that point I just fancied a bit of mild degeneracy seeing as how I was at a festival).

shoulders

Miss leccy cigs, 'member them?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: shoulders on March 08, 2024, 04:39:43 PMYou know who died in a Jacuzzi?

Matthew Perry

Right, jacuzzis, great fun. You get in them, next thing you know: Dead.

But that was the happiest anyone has ever been when they were dying, so I'm not knocking it.

Quote from: Goldentony on March 08, 2024, 06:29:34 PMLEGIONNAIRES

Easily dealt with by never sharing water with members of the Roman or French armies.

Barry Admin

@Clownbaby we don't think you're stupid at all, we're just concerned for you.  Lots of us have wrestled with this shit for years, I got a big fright about 6 months ago when my legs started swelling up again, so I would feel like a cunt if I didn't try to warn you - in strong terms - about heading down this path.  Anyway, good luck with it, grats for getting off the booze.