Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:47:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donald Trump

Started by Brass Moustache, January 07, 2024, 05:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brass Moustache

Is there anyone here more au fait with American politics and law than me who can tell us when we will know definitively if Trump will be barred from standing?
Seriously they need to put this shit to bed.

0% chance he'll be effectively barred from running (there's not even a feasible mechanism for this to happen unless a determinant number of swing states remove him from the ballot), and while there's a non-zero chance he gets convicted in one of his criminal trials there's a <1% chance any of those cases will be resolved before the election or even before the end of a second four-year term.

It's all just political theater so the Democrats can run another Trump Evil campaign.

110% chance the right-wing Supreme Court reverses the Colorado ruling if that's what you're referring to in particular.

shoulders

There's a thread for this orange cunt already, do we need two

BlodwynPig

The equivalent is Boris Johnson laying pipe bombs outside the UK parliament, getting collared, living free before a trial and still being seen a viable leader of the people

Love Trump and Boris. Losers like me have been forgotten and marginalised for too long.

JesusAndYourBush

To choose him don't the senators have to vote for him, and I'm assuming it's like our leadership elections and they have other people throwing their hat into the ring. (I'm not sure how their system works.)  If so, do we know who the other candidates are?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 07, 2024, 03:18:20 PMTo choose him don't the senators have to vote for him, and I'm assuming it's like our leadership elections and they have other people throwing their hat into the ring. (I'm not sure how their system works.)  If so, do we know who the other candidates are?

The Rock

Mister Six

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 07, 2024, 03:18:20 PMTo choose him don't the senators have to vote for him, and I'm assuming it's like our leadership elections and they have other people throwing their hat into the ring. (I'm not sure how their system works.)  If so, do we know who the other candidates are?

Senators have nothing to do with it. It's a stupidly complex system though:

QuoteA state's primary election or caucus is usually an indirect election: instead of voters directly selecting a particular person running for president, they determine the number of delegates each party's national convention will receive from their respective state. These delegates then in turn select their party's presidential nominee. The first state in the United States to hold its presidential primary was North Dakota in 1912,[1] following on Oregon's successful implementation of its system in 1910.[2]

Each party determines how many delegates it allocates to each state. Along with those "pledged" delegates chosen during the primaries and caucuses, state delegations to both the Democratic and Republican conventions also include "unpledged" delegates who have a vote. For Republicans, they consist of the three top party officials who serve At Large from each state and territory. Democrats have a more expansive group of unpledged delegates called "superdelegates", who are party leaders and elected officials (PLEO). If no single candidate has secured an absolute majority of delegates (including both pledged and unpledged), then a "brokered convention" occurs: all pledged delegates are "released" after the first round of voting and are able to switch their allegiance to a different candidate, and then additional rounds take place until there is a winner with an absolute majority.

Anyway, there's an article laying out the Republican contenders here, although there's fuck all chance any of them will take the spot unless Trump dies.

iamcoop

The genie's out of the bottle now. Even if he keeled over next week some other more extreme cunt will come out of the shadows that the braying mob can hitch their wagon to.

It's unbelievable what the Dems are playing at. If anybody genuinely thinks Joe Biden is the future of America their brain must be as rotted out as his is.

Trump will absolutely bulldoze the next election.

BlodwynPig

Didn't everybody say they hated Trump after the insurrection and even many of his supporters came out against him and put their weight behind...deSantis? It's a bizarro world.

greenman

Quote from: iamcoop on January 07, 2024, 03:48:39 PMThe genie's out of the bottle now. Even if he keeled over next week some other more extreme cunt will come out of the shadows that the braying mob can hitch their wagon to.

It's unbelievable what the Dems are playing at. If anybody genuinely thinks Joe Biden is the future of America their brain must be as rotted out as his is.

Trump will absolutely bulldoze the next election.

There both playing the same game IMHO, the greater the fear around the republican alternative the further the democrats can move to the right were they and those behind them want them to be.

There not focused on beating Trump by whatever means they can, there focused on just squeaking out a win whilst being as far right as they can get away with.

Brass Moustache

Quote from: shoulders on January 07, 2024, 09:16:15 AMThere's a thread for this orange cunt already, do we need two
i didn't see it, and my general rule is if it doesnt appear on the first page i daren't reply for fear of commiting the cardinal sin of thread necromancy.

madhair60

he's lying, there's never been a Trump thread before. make as many as you like

iamcoop

Don't mind Shoulders, he never really recovered from Hilary losing. Been a shadow of a guy since.

Brass Moustache

Quote from: iamcoop on January 07, 2024, 06:06:34 PMDon't mind Shoulders, he never really recovered from Hilary losing. Been a shadow of a guy since.
the fool returns to his folly like the dog returns to its vomit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIVJCDwZUkM

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 07, 2024, 04:17:32 PMDidn't everybody say they hated Trump after the insurrection and even many of his supporters came out against him and put their weight behind...deSantis? It's a bizarro world.

A handful of professional pundits and wonks (most of whom will now come crawling back like in 2015-16), but not his on-the-ground supporters. The DeSantis illusion was just another failed attempt by the establishment Republicans and right-wing media outlets to get rid of Trump. Jeb Bush 2.0.

Brass Moustache

Quote from: convulsivespace on January 07, 2024, 06:27:08 PMA handful of professional pundits and wonks (most of whom will now come crawling back like in 2015-16), but not his on-the-ground supporters. The DeSantis illusion was just another failed attempt by the establishment Republicans and right-wing media outlets to get rid of Trump. Jeb Bush 2.0.
they're playing the long game.
De Santis, Ramaswamy etc know they dont have a prayer of securing the 2024 nomination but theyre making a name for themselves so by the time the 2028-2032 primaries swing around they'll be top of the pecking order.

Brass Moustache

Now the mango mussolini wants to represent HIMSELF in court.
Oh please let him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDN5cOL5HdM

DrGreggles

He might have no choice, given that no decent lawyer will go anywhere near him.
His reputation of not paying people probably didn't help.

Terry Torpid

Quote from: Brass Moustache on January 07, 2024, 06:29:56 PMDe Santis, Ramaswamy etc know they dont have a prayer of securing the 2024 nomination but theyre making a name for themselves so by the time the 2028-2032 primaries swing around they'll be top of the pecking order.

Yes, I think some of the Republican candidates are really just competing to be Trump's VP.

Pink Gregory

dontpaintyourteeth

Remember when liberals thought calling him Drumpf would stop him. As if Trump isn't a much funnier name

idunnosomename

Imagine being called Donald Trump. No wonder hes such a cunt

dungbeetle kpi

BlodwynPig

Welcome, Prime Minister David Gas of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland.

ajsmith2

Quote from: iamcoop on January 07, 2024, 03:48:39 PMTrump will absolutely bulldoze the next election.

Dunno about this, as in genuinely don't know, not that it won't happen but that I don't see it as a fait accompli. Folk assumed Hillary would get in in 2016 and that Trump would get in in 2020. Who knows. Thing is I don't get the same 'unstoppable inevitable rolling wrecking ball' vibe off Trump today as I did by the same point in Jan 2016. That said there's still no one else with anything like the same charisma and recognition. Biden is of course very weak and senile (and it's hard not to see an avenging Trump DESTROYing him in debates) although my impression was he was performing better than expected (low bar admittedly) before he futzed things up with Israel/Gaza.

twosclues

If you ask me, Donald Trump needs to go easy on the fake tan AND the fascist rhetoric.

touchingcloth

It's quite fascy to go after people of colour like that.

dontpaintyourteeth

Trump's biggest problem is that he never became an insult comic