Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:15:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

30 Rock Season 6

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 29, 2012, 12:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I don't know what the fuck I'm going to next year when Community, 30 Rock and The Office all come to an end. What's good in yankee weekly comedies? Should give Parks & Recreation a go, everyone bleats on about it.

Dark Sky

I just started Parks and Rec fairly recently, and I adore it.  If you like the US Office, you'll love it I'm sure.

Mister Six

Skip the first season. I watched it and thought it was shit, and then gave up. Everyone now tells me I should have skipped to season two.

Dark Sky

Like The Office, it definitely doesn't get going until season two.  But also, like The Office, the first season only has six episodes.  But but also also, unlike The Office, you'll miss out on on-going storyline stuff if you don't watch those first six episodes.  So watch them quickly, but don't judge until season two.  THERE.

Morrison Lard

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/06/07/tracy-morgan-car-crash/10160317/

QuoteMorgan was taken to Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center in New Brunswick. Police say one of the passengers from his bus has died; three others were critically injured and one is listed as being in fair condition.

Fuck :(

Old Nehamkin

up_the_hampipe

Oh shit. I love Tracy Morgan, I think he's got great charisma and a brilliant comedic voice like Rodney Dangerfield. Here's hoping he pulls through.

Small Man Big Horse

Fucking hell, I hadn't heard about this until now, it's horrible news. There's been one update since, which sounds still bleak, but offers some hope - at least the part where his spokesman suggests he'll hopefully be out of hospital in weeks rather than months.

QuoteComic Tracy Morgan was "more responsive" Sunday but remained in critical condition a day after a deadly crash on the New Jersey Turnpike, his spokesman said.

Morgan, who starred in 30 Rock and Saturday Night Live, suffered broken leg bones, a broken nose and several broken ribs in the crash that killed fellow comic and Morgan mentor James "Jimmy Mack" McNair, Morgan spokesman Lewis Kay said.

"We expect him to remain in the hospital for several weeks," Kay said. "His family is tremendously overwhelmed and appreciative of the outpouring of love and support from his fans."

State Police said truck driver Kevin Roper, 35, failed to see slow-moving traffic near Cranbury Township. His truck slammed into a 2012 Mercedes limousine-bus carrying Morgan, McNair and several others, setting off a chain-reaction crash involving another tractor-trailer, an SUV and two cars, authorities said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/usanow/2014/06/08/tracy-morgan-critical-crash/10198791/

up_the_hampipe

It seems as though he will pull through eventually, but we'll have to see if he's got any brain damage from the accident. It'll be a shame if a big personality like that is severely affected by this.

Moribunderast

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 09, 2014, 01:26:05 PM
It seems as though he will pull through eventually, but we'll have to see if he's got any brain damage from the accident.

Fuck, I was so worried about his survival I completely neglected that possibility. How awful. The man deserves to pat his belly and call Tina Fey a "boogerface" without restriction. Hopefully he pulls through fine and we can all resume being horrified when he makes homophobic remarks.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 09, 2014, 01:26:05 PM
It seems as though he will pull through eventually, but we'll have to see if he's got any brain damage from the accident. It'll be a shame if a big personality like that is severely affected by this.

One of his friends died in the accident. Others are badly hurt. It is a traumatic event. That's enough to "affect" anybody.
According to Morgan's representative, he's got a few bones broken, but no damage in the brain area. However, according to some "rumors", he might lose a leg.

Morrison Lard

Comedian Tracy Morgan released from hospital

Poor bloke must still be massively fucked up both physically and mentally from the whole experience,
but good news nonetheless.

mook

QuoteThe comedian will continue his recovery at home with an "aggressive outpatient program,"

poor sod - A&E on a friday night then.

shlug

I've recently had the opportunity to sit down and watch 30 Rock now it's on Prime and have to say it really is fantastic. Not quite the same level as Arrested Development's earlier seasons but I would say certainly much better than The Office although I can understand to some degree why it was never as popular. Personally I can get on board more with the open silliness of 30 Rock whereas The Office relishes on the awkwardness of the whackiness in a somewhat normal setting.

A few critiques I've taken away from the few seasons I've watched;
- While I can see that Tracey Jordan is supposed to be sending up black stereotypes and the comedy comes from the subversion of them, sometimes I feel that this doesn't quite land and can come across a bit on the nose in some episodes. Generally though I think it works well, particularly in the episode where Tracey goes to the country club with Jack.
- Liz Lemon is a bit confusing as to how they intend for her to come across. It feels like they haven't decided whether she is this weird writer type obsessed with food or a self-assured New Yorker where she straddles this not clear line of being a social pariah or not.
- Recent events aside, Alec Baldwin is a phenomenal comic actor.
- Kenneth is a fantastic character that I'm happy they didn't resort to Flanderising with his religious upbringing, at least from the seasons I've watched so far.