Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:10:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Metal Gear

Started by oggyraiding, October 24, 2023, 11:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oggyraiding

The first volume of the modern console collection of Metal Gear games came out today.

I tried to be hardcore and start with the original Metal Gear but it's just terrible. I get it's from 1987 and was probably good at the time, but it's not one of those timeless old games like Super Mario Bros 3 or Ducktales.

Critical consensus seems to be the games are good, but could have done with more updating.

I haven't played MGS1 since Twin Snakes came out, so have very little memory of it. I hope it's aged better than Metal Gear has!

bgmnts

Yeah I tried it too but it's too much for me. It's a very dated game.

What's gutting is that everything except MGS is part of the old HD Collection, so if you have that you're paying 50 quid for a 25 year old PlayStation game.

Konami have said the titles will be available to get separately but nothing so far. Booooo.

Pink Gregory

They're apparently lacklustre ports of the HD collection but at I have to say at least they're getting a release after being missing for a generation - and it's probably for the best the HD collection ports aren't - to my knowledge - being messed with.

Capt.Midnight

Should have been £20-30 really.

dontpaintyourteeth

LOOK AT THE GREEN DOT. IT'S PICKING UP THE DARPA CHIEF

Timothy

2 and 3 crash on Steam Deck apparently, so don't buy it for Deck.

I had it preordered for Xbox but canceled it. Doesnt really seem to be worth 40 euros.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Timothy on October 26, 2023, 06:26:32 AM2 and 3 crash on Steam Deck apparently, so don't buy it for Deck.

I had it preordered for Xbox but canceled it. Doesnt really seem to be worth 40 euros.

I think the HD collection for 360 is backwards compatible on Xbox Series X/Xbone; not sure how much it goes for these days and obvs. you don't get MGS1 - but MGS3 on it is the Subsistence edition with Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2.

Timothy

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 26, 2023, 06:44:55 AMI think the HD collection for 360 is backwards compatible on Xbox Series X/Xbone; not sure how much it goes for these days and obvs. you don't get MGS1 - but MGS3 on it is the Subsistence edition with Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2.

A cool! Good to know, thanks!

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Timothy on October 26, 2023, 06:46:30 AMA cool! Good to know, thanks!

and plus you get Peace Walker which is...fine. 

Alright that's not entirely fair because within Peace Walker are the bones of MGSV but it can become a timesink if you let it, because it's designed for short sessions on a handheld; I would recommend trying to play it that way.  But it is still fairly skippable unless you're dead invesfed in the plot.

Capt.Midnight

I loved Peace Walker except the Tank Boss missions. Very laborious stuff. The graphics are ace for the format.

I still have my PS3 for Metal Gear HD Collection, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Splinter Cell HD collection. I am terrified of the day when the hardware packs in. It's my all in one STEALTH MEGAPACK.

AngryGazelle

Apparently image quality is actually worse than it was on the original hardware. Seems like a really lacklustre effort on this one. Shame, as Metal Gear is one of my favourite series of games.

Edit - MGSV can fuck off, though. Absolute shite story. Good game mechanics, mind.

Magnum Valentino

I don't see that anywhere online, just some reports of other niggly issues. Where did you see it?

Thursday

Quote from: AngryGazelle on October 26, 2023, 06:29:03 PMApparently image quality is actually worse than it was on the original hardware. Seems like a really lacklustre effort on this one. Shame, as Metal Gear is one of my favourite series of games.

Edit - MGSV can fuck off, though. Absolute shite story. Good game mechanics, mind.

Honestly, it's pretty funny to make a big deal out of getting Kiefer Sutherland in to do Snake and then have him not say anything.

Pink Gregory

I like Sutherland Snake

I appreciate this is a niche opinion.

Thursday

I literally don't remember a single word he said. I think his voice just sounded too similar to Ocelot and it blurred together.

Pink Gregory

he delivers a good 'Kept you waiting, huh?' in the Ground Zeroes trailer

the Ground Zeroes trailer/opening cutscene is fucking ace

Magnum Valentino

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 26, 2023, 07:06:14 PMI don't see that anywhere online, just some reports of other niggly issues. Where did you see it?

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 26, 2023, 07:27:28 PMLove GZ

MGSV would have worked much more for me if it consisted of 8-10 Ground Zeroes style missions. Also, more cutscenes!

Magnum Valentino

I can't make head nor tail of that video - the way the speaker has written it is impenetrable. What are the key takeaways?

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 27, 2023, 12:15:08 PMI can't make head nor tail of that video - the way the speaker has written it is impenetrable. What are the key takeaways?

Gamma is a bit washed out, and textures can look worse in places. I think this affects MGS2 and 3 mostly. If you skip to around the 9 minute mark, it should be clearer.

The frame rate stuff is annoying- different versions have different FPS. Just seems like a pain in the arse.

I don't want to needlessly hate but 50 quid seems a bit cheeky for this.

Magnum Valentino

Looks like Konami have addressed this and intend to patch. I've Spider-Man 2 to tide me over til then (hopefully!).

Dusky Rob Roy

Can't see the point of this at all, I have the original games and the PS3 collection. If I wanted to play them upscaled 'n shit I'd finally get around to learning how to emulate and add mods on my Steam Deck.

On the other hand, this looks jaw droppingly good.

Magnum Valentino

The point of this is if you don't have anything to play the originals on. The PS4 couldn't play PS3 games don't forget so it's been a while since these were available on a current-gen machine (for Sony, at least).

Thursday

They've literally just done the master collection though.

Same things happened with Persona 3. Release a bad port early this year, and now they've got a remake coming early next year.

Dusky Rob Roy

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 27, 2023, 01:42:22 PMThe point of this is if you don't have anything to play the originals on. The PS4 couldn't play PS3 games don't forget so it's been a while since these were available on a current-gen machine (for Sony, at least).

Fair enough, just a shame it's so shoddy.

bgmnts

Said this in the thread but it's so silly remaking Snake Eater when you have the original Metal Gears and even Metal Gear Solid begging for a remake.

People would kill to see the original Metal Gears rendered in the Fox Engine, and it's obscure enough to be considered new.

But they took the already best looking and best playing game. Grrr.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: bgmnts on October 27, 2023, 02:10:45 PMSaid this in the thread but it's so silly remaking Snake Eater when you have the original Metal Gears and even Metal Gear Solid begging for a remake.

People would kill to see the original Metal Gears rendered in the Fox Engine, and it's obscure enough to be considered new.

Maybe they'll do them in timeline order, in which case this would be first and they could vault over 5 to do the original Metal Gear next.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dusky Rob Roy on October 27, 2023, 01:16:45 PMOn the other hand, this looks jaw droppingly good.

Oh fuck yeah

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on October 27, 2023, 02:10:45 PMSaid this in the thread but it's so silly remaking Snake Eater when you have the original Metal Gears and even Metal Gear Solid begging for a remake.

It's the one people like, but it is puzzling because, of the series, it's the one in least need of improvement.  Suppose all the jungle tech would impress.