Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:00:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Convincing people

Started by Dusty Gozongas, June 15, 2004, 02:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Gozongas

Oooh.  Just watched a most interesting documentry, not least for reminding me of a face off the telly I forgot I'd actually forgotten. Where's jutl when you were most expecting hir? 'cos this is gonna be a shite thread starter.

BBC Four on BBC Two:Israel's Generals
Channel: BBC2    
Date: Monday 14 June  Time: 11:20pm to 12:20am

Here was a man I remember comparing to Gen. Patton when I was a child: a general, obvously; a warrior for his nation; the sort of nutter who is given carte blanche by the political mood of the time; a bloke who people regarded as weak and vulnerable and/or reflective towards the end of his natural life.  

Moshe Dayan. Nobody talks about him anymore. I recall the eyepatch and talk of him being a national hero in some foreign land. I was young then but I'm happy now with the comparison I made with Patton at the time.  Both blokes were much deeper and more interesting than their public facade if the histories are to be believed.  Yep.  Interesting blokes, history is dotted with 'em.

It's strange how sometimes a clouded memory is revived and also met with more recent snippets of information.  I spent much of the time watching this documentary being reminded of both the ruthless man with the eyepatch and some threads here a while back where (i think) mayer argued the case for lines on maps and stuff.

As it happens, it seems that Dayan eventually pissed his country off (for various reasons over a period of time) and became an embarassment.  Not embarassing enough to redraw the maps.. but an embarassment all the same. Maybe he was yet another ideal face for the policy? The face.  A bit like Che Guevara, the Nick Griffin/Kilroy-Silk of his day, like.  A pin-up for the nationalists.  A bit like General Patton, in fact.

Oh missus.  It's not like civilised folk do nasty things to Arabs unless they deserve it.

Tomorrow I'm getting a Che Guevara poster and finding a squat. The world is full of nonsense and we're sat on our arses watching it.

mayer

just a post to let y'all know that it's a three-parter, on Wednesday it's Yitzchak Rabin, Thursday Arik Sharon....

i didn't catch the programme (i don't really watch TV), but i'm told it's good.