Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:53:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

looking for PS1/PS2 action game recommendations...

Started by madhair60, March 18, 2024, 06:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

fancy playing a short-ish PS1/PS2 action game, I just finished Final Fantasy VII for the first time (it's great btw) and need a palate cleanser. Any suggestions?

dontpaintyourteeth

Tenchu Stealth Assassin
Tomba/Tombi
Rising Zan
MediEvil

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: bgmnts on March 18, 2024, 06:55:17 PMTime Crisis

Since you have travelled so very far, be my guest and let me ENTERTAIN YOU

bgmnts

ACTION!

But yeah it's about half an hour long, is one big action film cliché and has one of the best sound tracks/designs ever.

The Crumb

Urban Reign, the Tekken engined brawler with really satisfying combat and an outrageous difficulty curve.

Lemming

Nightmare Creatures is okay if you like being stressed out of your mind. 1999's Urban Chaos is ace but the PC version is apparently the one to go for, the PS1 version is broken or something.

Pink Gregory

Ape Escape

One of those ones that took me ages as a kid but could probably be finished in a few hours as an adult.  I assume.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Culture Bunker

Out Run Coast2Coast (on PS2) I remember being a lot of fun.

imitationleather

Video Game Fan 2000

JUMPING FLASH!!!!
Robotron X
G-Police
Gitaroo Man

Vodkafone

dontpaintyourteeth

Ooh I haven't played G-Police literally since the nineties but I loved it at the time

Quote from: bgmnts on March 18, 2024, 06:55:17 PMTime Crisis
This is the correct answer. I think you have to have a CRT telly or the light gun won't work though. It's just not the same with a controller.

Mister Six

Quote from: Lemming on March 18, 2024, 07:52:12 PMNightmare Creatures

The first one that came to mind but I didn't know the name of it. Thanks!

Thursday

Don't know if any of these are actually any good, these are just things I played demo's of about 25 years ago, and are a bit more obscure than something like Nightmare Creatures which I already know is very much your shit and might have a certain video world vibe to them.

Rosco McQueen: Firefighter Extreme
Machine Hunter
O.D.T
Shadow Master
Akuji the Hearltess
Alter Echo

Memorex MP3

A mix of things I think are good and things that are potentially at the very least novel

Future Cop LAPD, ideally with a pal
Robot Alchemic Drive
Mercenaries
like half the games on minimme's youtube channel
Ace Combat series
Spider Man PS1
Spider Man 2 PS2
Syphon Filter
PSP sequels/spin-offs of PS1/PS2 series you liked
Duke Nukem Time To Kill
Apocalypse: The Bruce Willis Game
Mega Man Legends

madhair60

i can't light gun so no light gun games cheers

Is driving action? If so, you can't beat a bit of Burnout.

ros vulgaris

The first two Medal of Honors on the PS1 were great at the time. Probably shite now.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 19, 2024, 11:13:17 AMIs driving action? If so, you can't beat a bit of Burnout.

Burnout 3:  Takedown.  It's barely a racing game and more 'crash into things to inexplicably go faster'

Memorex MP3

Burnout 3 on the PS2/PCSX2 has working online servers again, my janky wifi hasn't been able to get them running but I gather it's pretty reliable with ethernet

Some others you can still play are here https://ps2online.com/ https://psrewired.com/

madhair60

yeah burnout isn't an action game by the generally understood definition of the genre so shove it up your arse

(It is fucking brilliant though)