Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Norman Records' Best Albums of 1996

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 26, 2021, 03:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

my favourite album of 1996 might be my favourite album - Labradford's S/T release.

not been re-pressed for yonks and fetches £50+ easy, sadly

greenman

Did Shack's Waterpistol finally get a release in 96 or was it late 95?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: greenman on April 26, 2021, 07:52:28 PM
Did Shack's Waterpistol finally get a release in 96 or was it late 95?

'95 and The Strands album was '97.

I only started the thread to see who you would have to win the Norman world cup thing, but if we're going to just list albums released in 1996, I'll have Denim on Ice and Pioneer Soundtracks.

peanutbutter

It'd take me a while to think of a 1996 album off the top of my head and the album would be Emperor Tomato Ketchup, which I'm not even that keen on.

There is something off about the year for me, in a zeitgeisty sense most of the notable releases for me feel kinda trapped between eras.

purlieu

Oh bloody hell, I forgot The Divine Comedy's Casanova and The Boo Radleys' C'mon Kids from my list.

Was just reminded of C'mon Kids because it's pretty much the only attempt at going beyond britpop that was attempted by any of the major players that year. It's definitely a bit of a weird year, with comparatively few era-defining records compared to the ones around it, for better or worse. Even on the electronic side of things, Dead Cities, In Sides and Second Toughest in the Infants are all loved, but they've been eclipsed by Dig Your Own Hole, Fat of the Land and Homework from the following year.

Joe Oakes

The hip hop selections are hella weak, at first I assumed they just picked the biggest sellers, but there is no way Mobb Deep would be there. These are superior...

Kool Keith - Dr Octagonecologyst
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Heltah Skeltah - Nocturnal
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
Poor Righteous Teachers - New World Order

Surprised Dr Octagon didn't get a look in, non-hip hoppers tend to love it.

chveik

Joe Oakes

Yeah, I was getting mixed up with the EP. Apologies to anyone affected by this sordid incident, I have banned myself from posting until I can trust myself to not to fuck it up again.

chveik

Quote from: Joe Oakes on April 26, 2021, 11:09:35 PM
The hip hop selections are hella weak, at first I assumed they just picked the biggest sellers, but there is no way Mobb Deep would be there. These are superior...

the best hip hop realease of '96 is DJ Screw's June 27th tape.

i do quite like Reasonable Doubt and ATLiens though, dunno if that makes me a hip hop dunce.

jamiefairlie

Not a great year, but here's two that still stand out for me....

Animals That Swim - I was the king. I really was the king

Low - The Curtain Hits the Cast

SteveDave

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 26, 2021, 03:47:04 PM
Why?!

Their job is to sell records. Why post sarcastic reviews that actively discourage people from buying records. Specifically my records. Cunts to a man. I'm pirating all music until they close down.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: SteveDave on April 27, 2021, 10:03:41 AM
Their job is to sell records. Why post sarcastic reviews that actively discourage people from buying records. Specifically my records. Cunts to a man. I'm pirating all music until they close down.

That's a shame. I quite like it when record shops feel they can be critical of releases - their slating of Public Service Broadcasting was great - but it can't be nice when you're on the receiving end.

sevendaughters

Quote from: SteveDave on April 27, 2021, 10:03:41 AM

I hate this about them, they've dissed stuff or people I wanted to buy from them, but I never even thought that there might actually be musicians who are aware of it.

Pauline Walnuts

From https://www.normanrecords.com/features/upcoming-albums-2021 (which is probably the sort of thing that changes all the time)

Damon Albarn - The Nearer The Fountain, More Pure The Stream Flows
(12th November)

Really hope the title of this one is an indicator that Damon Albarn has gone full Yellow River Boys and made an album about drinking piss.

badaids

Mad that Dead Cities and Work and Non-Work aren't on that list but If You're Feeling Sinister would still win.  Disappointed in Norman's but their still the place I get nearly all my records if I have to get them on-line.  They'll always sort you out if you give them a bell.