Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:55:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

UK / US chart data

Started by Famous Mortimer, December 14, 2023, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Let's just say, for instance, that I'm a lazy twat who can't be bothered to brute force decades of data. I'm trying to compile a radio show or two of songs that did very well in the UK charts (let's say top 10, but just no.1s would work) but did nothing in the US (preferably not released at all, but outside the top 100 would work).

I've already got a nice list of bangers, but I want more.

Is there any data I could look at to find this out?

Sebastian Cobb

Chartmetric has a nice api that in theory looks like it'd make what you want to do easy but with the caveat it looks like they're 'service' (youtube/spotify etc) charts rather than compiled top 40's and they charge for access, but offer a free trial.

However the Ultimate Music Database has both the UK top 40 and the US Billboard. I dunno if you code but it'd be reasonably easy to scrape as it's an ancient website and everything's in a table. If you don't you could copy and paste into excel reasonably easy, or even consider getting a developer to scrape it for you and do the maths for a small fee by putting it up on Fiverr.

I'd do it but I don't think I'll have time.

http://www.umdmusic.com/default.asp?Lang=English&Chart=A&ChDate=20231214&ChMode=P

Famous Mortimer

You've already spent plenty of time on what might be a dumb idea, thanks @Sebastian Cobb .

touchingcloth

An article here about someone using Python to scrape UK charts, so it would probably be doable to steal their code, adapt it for a similar resource for US charts, then join the datasets on song titles...

https://medium.com/@caineosborne/analysing-uk-chart-history-1956-to-2017-6fec0ecc991b