Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:43:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ps2 eyetoy camera question

Started by oustropique, March 27, 2024, 04:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oustropique

I have two Namtai branded EyeToy cameras for the PS2, bought from two separate Ebay sellers, that I'm trying to get to work with a backwards compatible PS3.

When I plug either of them in and go to the camera accessory settings in the XMB, they work: I get a clear picture. But when I boot any number of compatible games, all I get is a blue screen where the camera feed should be.

A separate, Logitech branded camera (older, squeakier, and with worse camera quality) seems to work in games running on the PS3 fine, but with the quality being dreadful, so is the accuracy of the motion detection.

I'm absolutely aware that this is basically archaic technology of no value, but I have a nostalgia spot for a few of these games and would like to play them. I tried posting about this on a forum aimed at this kind of thing and nobody responded.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Memorex MP3

I'm not 100% on this but my understanding is that the backwards compatibility of PS2 and PS1 games doesn't necessarily stretch to peripherals so things like SingStar, Buzz and PocketStation don't work even though the PS3 can pick up the devices. I would assume this also applies for EyeToy.
Was the logitech camera working for the PS2 games?

Emulation of EyeToy stuff is also pretty shitty so I'd say the best move is just to get a PS2 slim; with FreeMcBoot and MX4SIO they're a pretty neat compact device now; there's USB C mods so that they can work from PD3.0 chargers so you don't even need the power block.
Alternatively you can get a fat PS2 and stick a hard drive into it with EVERYTHING.

oustropique

Thanks for responding.

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on March 28, 2024, 03:16:15 PMthe backwards compatibility of PS2 and PS1 games doesn't necessarily stretch to peripherals

My understanding of it is that USB peripheral support is spotty on the later PS3s that only run PS2 games via software emulation, but this is an original Japanese CECH-A model that has the PS2 guts inside -

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on March 28, 2024, 03:16:15 PMWas the logitech camera working for the PS2 games?

- and the Logitech camera does work in games on the PS3, so does it have something to do with the third-party-ness of the Namtai? Will the XMB pick up any camera, and games are another story?

The Namtai does say something the lines of it being produced under licence for Sony Entertainment Europe on the underside of it. Unfortunately they're the dominant brand of the ones available on e.g. Ebay.

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on March 28, 2024, 03:16:15 PMAlternatively you can get a fat PS2 and stick a hard drive into it with EVERYTHING.

I had one of these until very recently. The Namtais didn't work there, either. Admittedly this was largely using FreeMcboot / OPL, but I also ran into trouble with the cameras on legitimate disc copies of a couple of games.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: oustropique on March 28, 2024, 06:01:37 PMMy understanding of it is that USB peripheral support is spotty on the later PS3s that only run PS2 games via software emulation, but this is an original Japanese CECH-A model that has the PS2 guts inside
Looks like you're right

from what I'm seeing here https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/e8tlsy/comment/feh7zsu it sounds like there might be some issues with varieties of eyetoy cameras? I'd guess you've already seen this?

Is the accuracy of the Namtai model known to be better than the logitech? The motion detection might just be as shit as it is there.

oustropique

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on March 28, 2024, 07:12:50 PMfrom what I'm seeing here https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/e8tlsy/comment/feh7zsu it sounds like there might be some issues with varieties of eyetoy cameras? I'd guess you've already seen this?

I hadn't seen this, no. Interesting that it's a Namtai specific issue, then, especially given the issues that I had on a real PS2 with them. I mean, I'm guessing that user's EyeToy camera was a Namtai.

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on March 28, 2024, 07:12:50 PMIs the accuracy of the Namtai model known to be better than the logitech? The motion detection might just be as shit as it is there.

I'm not too sure, actually. Wikipedia suggests they're all the same specification, and I was just having motion detection issues with EyeToy: Play 3, so maybe that was a software issue. Tempted to try a silver one off Ebay now.

Going back to emulation, though, I did manage to get PCSX2 working with EyeToy: Play earlier. I do remember it being a pain with that emulator's previous plugin system, but now it's baked into the input settings and you can choose to have any USB webcam detected as an EyeToy camera, so that's potentially an option as PS2 emulation generally seems to have stepped up a bit.