Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:27:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Backup recommendations

Started by Magnum Valentino, March 27, 2024, 07:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

Hi all.

I've about 3TB of video files and I was planning on paying for Google storage for them but it looks like that might be a bit of a bollocks when it comes to actually uploading everything.

Seeing as so many of you have shared stuff with me recently I wondered what's the consensus on good backup storage options. Should I be paying monthly for cloud Storage or buy something physical, and if so, what?

Ta!

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 27, 2024, 07:42:00 PMHi all.

I've about 3TB of video files and I was planning on paying for Google storage for them but it looks like that might be a bit of a bollocks when it comes to actually uploading everything.

Seeing as so many of you have shared stuff with me recently I wondered what's the consensus on good backup storage options. Should I be paying monthly for cloud Storage or buy something physical, and if so, what?

Ta!

Physical, for sure. If you're willing to spend a bit upfront, a NAS setup is probably a good option since it'll not only keep everything backed up but also accessible remotely (in theory, still looking into it myself).

This is the setup I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C6927XPX/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Magnum Valentino

Yes one of the IT lads at work mentioned NAS, I'll look into that.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 27, 2024, 07:42:00 PMHi all.

Ta!

Realistically, both.

A key thing to remember with relying on physical back-ups is that if you're storing them in the same location, if something bad happens there (say, a fire) you've lost two sets of the same data with no way of getting them back. Storing another physical copy off-site is one way to get around it - or use an online service.

Although a NAS can offer lots of functionality, if you aren't going to use it - e.g. you have no need intention to access information away from home or stream media when in your home - it's rather an overkill and a direct storage device would do the job just fine.

Memorex MP3

For super important stuff it could be worth looking into BluRay, 3TB would require 120 BluRay discs (25GB discs and drives are drastically cheaper than 100GB ones so I'm focusing on them) which isn't super cheap. They're fairly durable and it'd be easy to store copies in several locations.

I'd probably just buy two or three gigantic retired server hard drives and assume at least one of them will survive being left lying around for years.

Key questions I guess are:
1. how important is this stuff
2. how likely are you to need to access it easily
3. will you need to be iteratively updating it

Sebastian Cobb

I'd check out Backblaze if you're using a pc or mac. I'd be using them for my stuff but they don't do a linux client (presumably to stop server/data hoarders taking the piss) on their unlimited 'home user' service, which costs $9 a month.

They're well regarded and offer professional storage solutions as well (like cheaper Amazon S3 clones). The advantages over your own NAS should be data replication and the fact it's off-site.

https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup/personal/compare/backup-services