Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Travails of Labour - The Cat Came Back Prrrrrrr

Started by Buelligan, March 01, 2024, 10:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

We need a new Labour thread, here it is - let's make it beautiful, interesting, comradely, on this, the day that George Galloway took Rochdale - link to old thread here - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=104615.msg5539477#main_content_section

Video Game Fan 2000

iamcoop

Buelligan

Just copied this over from the old thread to prevent us going over our 100 page limit -

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on March 01, 2024, 10:38:46 AM
Quote from: jobotic on March 01, 2024, 10:28:02 AMOkay fair enough. So why don't you address what he does? The smears, the expulsions of Jewish members for being antisemitic, the obvious hatred for those that used to vote for them? It's always "the left" that have to defend themselves.

I can address it now.  The smears and expulsions of Jewish members is disgusting and the politicking of weak politicians that doesn't have the minerals to properly manage fairness in his own party.  I disagree on the "obvious hatred" this is an interpretation by you, I've received much more "hatred" from people on here "on the lefT" for trying to stop them destroying out own movement than any hatred I've read about from Starmer - in fact I suspect he is very happy for the vast majority of people that used to vote Corbyn to still vote for him as there are 10 million of them!

I think you feel the left has to defend itself, I don't I think it has to get itself in order.  I'm critical of our representatives because they claim to represent me and if they are doing a shit job of it then like anyone else we should be demanding better.

Buelligan

Psybro

The notion of Galloway personally arresting grooming gangs (per his bad cop letter posted in the old thread) is tantalising.

Senior Baiano

Good vibes only everyone! Fingers crossed this will be a great year for the labour movement 💪💪💪

Senior Baiano

Quote from: Psybro on March 01, 2024, 10:47:07 AMThe notion of Galloway personally arresting grooming gangs (per his bad cop letter posted in the old thread) is tantalising.

I do hope his voters hold his feet to the fire on this

Buelligan

Quote from: Psybro on March 01, 2024, 10:47:07 AMThe notion of Galloway personally arresting grooming gangs (per his bad cop letter posted in the old thread) is tantalising.

Someone should buy him a headcam.  Maybe he can get one on expenses out of the £31million they're spending to keep MPs safe.  They get custom-made duck houses on expenses so it seems reasonable.

iamcoop

A fantastic year ahead for denim lovers everywhere.

Video Game Fan 2000

Glasgow Elvis Costello Experience is a HUGE let down

Butchers Blind

No idea why he persists in wearing that hat, it doesn't work.

Shaxberd

Not sure exactly where to put this but I've been watching Vic Reeves Big Night Out recently and am mesmerised by the horse brass set decoration that's the spitting image of Starmer:

Senior Baiano

Worst byelection defeat for labour since the thirties I heard

king_tubby

Fambo Number Mive

Galloway's promises include having the town hall clock cleaned and bringing a Primark to Rochadale.

Rochdale clearly needs turning round but I don't think Galloway is the person to provide it. I'd rather the ventroliquist's dummy won. Although I do find them a bit creepy.

king_tubby

Buelligan

I'd like to know what this lad reckons the venom is.

Fambo Number Mive

News to me that Labour didn't want Rochdale. Hasn't it been Labour for years.

What other seats don't Labour want?

Maybe Starmer should say they didnt want to win the election anyway if Labour lose. And then claim the electorate smell of piss and are as thick as shitty jam. Then have a tantrum.

Buelligan

Shaxberd

Baffled by how Galloway keeps winning elections, tbh. What does he have that left-wing candidates who aren't shameless self-promoters don't? How does he shrug off his hot takes on Israel and history of hanging out with dodgy Middle Eastern despots when Corbyn was crucified for far less? ...should Jezza have dressed up as a cat?

(Edit: I missed some pretty good discussion on this in the previous thread, bafflement reduced.)

Buelligan

No, he should've allowed himself to written off as a bit of a joke instead of standing for the leadership of the Party.

iamcoop

He's done it on a single issue platform, clearly.

The two main parties have MASSIVELY underestimated the strength of feeling in this country surrounding the genocide that is being supported and facilitated by the government and Labour, and whilst it may not be enough to completely derail Labour, they're going to take some serious damage in the election if they don't get their shit together.

Streeting could be fucked in his own constituency for example, which would be extremely funny.

Steve Faeces

Labour can't seem to make their minds up if this is just a by election and no lessons to be taken or if it's the darkest day for British democracy since the last time they fucked it up.

Be great to get some momentum behind other anti-genocide candidates to target MPs like Streeting and Rushanara Ali where there's a slim chance of peeling off quite a few Labour voters and them losing their seat.

iamcoop

Starmer clearly loves the baby-faced yum yum merchant, so if he does get unseated could we see a Cameron-esq LORD STREETING situation just to get him into post?

Steve Faeces

Amidst the usual client journalists and Paul Mason wanging on about Russian bots in his desperate and pathetic attempt to be a Labour candidate, a few of the very clever and sensible people have grasped that they might need a different response than George Galloway=badman.

QuoteNeal Lawson, director of Compass, the leftwing group committed to more pluralistic politics, says the Rochdale result suggests Labour has been taking its supporters for granted.

We don't know if Rochdale is a blip or part of a more seismic trend in terms of the Muslim community's support for Labour. But our first past the post voting system tends to disguise tectonic shifts in voting behaviours, as we've seen in Scotland and then the red wall.

FPTP encourages Labour to take its big blocks of voters for granted, in the presumption that they have nowhere else to go. The SNP, then Ukip/Brexit and via them the Tories, and now Galloway have proven to be alternatives. Labour MPs and candidates in seats with big Muslim votes will be nervous today. People don't like being taken for granted.

jobotic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 01, 2024, 11:15:15 AMNews to me that Labour didn't want Rochdale. Hasn't it been Labour for years.

What other seats don't Labour want?

All the ones they currently have. Particularly the non-white ones.