Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:18:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast Threee John featuring 3ric Smallshaw of 3ccles

Started by George White, September 28, 2023, 04:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

I'd love to hear them cover either performance of that appalling Roobarb novelty rave record with Richard Easter sitting smugly in an armchair doing the Richard Briers spoken word samples and the vocalist delivering the most wildly off key live vocal I've ever seen on any episode of TOTP.

Talking of off key vocals......still no Joy Sarney coverage.

George White

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 28, 2023, 09:47:04 PM'79 is a classic
Black Lace won, so you can imagine the standard

https://eurovisionworld.com/national/united-kingdom/a-song-for-europe-1979
The Shakin' Smokie years, before Alan joined actual Smokie and thus whenever Chris Norman era Amokie were on telly, she would pipe, 'He died in a car crash..." when she meant Alan.

Quote from: non capisco on September 29, 2023, 09:01:39 PMI'd love to hear them cover either performance of that appalling Roobarb novelty rave record with Richard Easter sitting smugly in an armchair doing the Richard Briers spoken word samples and the vocalist delivering the most wildly off key live vocal I've ever seen on any episode of TOTP.
I think it was at the end of one of the Patreon Q&A specials that Al said he very much wanted to cover 1992 era chart rave at some point, both the slightly more credible end (e.g. SL2) and the catshit stuff (Roobarb, Trumpton etc). Those were a good while ago now, so kind of surprised he hasn't gone for one with that yet.

Without being able to check back at the moment, did all of the CM contributors get a chance to do those? I remember Taylor was definitely on one (Bobby Omnishake) but I'd still listen to another, even if they have

pigamus

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on September 29, 2023, 12:38:35 PMI find that the 90s TOTP episodes lack the charm and eccentricity of the 70s and early 80s ones. It's all too slick and the CM episodes about that era lack a certain something for me.

They tend to be Taylor-free as well which doesn't help

Key

I would prefer some more 90s or 00s episodes as it was a time when I was actually watching TOTP as a youngster myself and have more of an opinion on some of the acts involved - although its pretty clear the gang themselves prefer their own formative years/comfort zone of the Eighventies and are more engaged during those episodes.

Das Reboot

Quote from: jazzy_sabotage on September 29, 2023, 09:50:40 PMdid all of the CM contributors get a chance to do those?

I think R.E.D.S. hasn't, though there was talk of it happening (a long time ago).

George White

Taylor has said to me and a few other PCYs at the CM meet-up after the podcast they're going to do a Jingle Nonce ep, in some way, saying that he was watching a lot of Savile, and how utterly useless the nonce is at everything, wondering how did he have such a successful career in broadcasting when he was utterly talentless.
Which ep do we think?

Maybe one of the Christmas ones, or maybe the last ever one.

non capisco

I think your previous guess of the bizarre HST train one would make a lot of sense and would be extremely rich pickings (hasn't Taylor said it's his favourite episode?) although because Jingle Nonce is on the train with a load of trapped ill children and it was potentially a horizontally mobile crime scene it might be the darkest possible choice to cover the cunt. I'd still love to hear them talking about the excruciatingly boring conversation between Simon Bates and a signalman and Bucks Fizz's performance getting fucked off after less than a minute in favour of the pulse elevating sight of a train pulling into Bristol Temple Meads at the speed you'd expect a train to when it's slowing down.

George White

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/entries/3e8bfafd-241b-3839-993f-f98793d9c517 Has anyone seen this docs? Feel very Punch on the Road adjacent, esp. the first.

Gosh, talking of 60s/70s ageing, Gene Vincent at 34. Looks extremely British too, like he could be a bit player in a Dixon of Dock Green. He's very Dave King.

George White

Anyone else curious about them doing a US TOTP from 1987?
Found one online, and it was entirely baffling. With Nia Peeples as a kind of more attractive US Janice, and Gary Davies there as token Brit, a cobbled together mishmash of stuff from the UK show and US acts frequently those who never made it here, i.e. some Latino teen heartthrob named Noel (pronounced No-ellllle, as if to differentiate himself from Neol).

I asked Al about doing Savile, and I think he said he was planning on doing a Paetron exclusive where they properly discuss him and from then on do episodes with him in normally, without focusing on all of that. I was very drunk when he told me this though, so I may have got some of that wrong.

George White

Yes, that sounds pretty similar to what Taylor told me.
I think they do need to do Savile, esp. when we slowly realise he's not exactly a one-off, what with Brand and possibly Shakin' Dahl...

centristmelt

There's an episode from June 1968 that's survived (hosted by Savile and Davy Jones) - CM have never gone that far back. It's a shame if they never cover that.

The #1 that week is a bit unfortunate however....

JohnnyYen

Quote from: centristmelt on October 03, 2023, 02:31:03 PMThe #1 that week is a bit unfortunate however....

Oh I dunno, at least it's about someone TRYING NOT to be a nonce

Senior Baiano

Quote from: Bellalunaesme2 on October 03, 2023, 12:08:52 AMI asked Al about doing Savile, and I think he said he was planning on doing a Paetron exclusive where they properly discuss him and from then on do episodes with him in normally, without focusing on all of that.

I hope that's not the plan as I don't think that'd work very well

DrGreggles

Why not just ignore him and any episodes he was on?
They've managed pretty well so far, and him appearing heavily is hardly going to generate funny content.
The fucking nonce doesn't deserve the attention - and Al definitely doesn't deserve having to spend time researching him.

grainger

Quote from: Senior Baiano on October 05, 2023, 03:14:21 PMI hope that's not the plan as I don't think that'd work very well

No, it's going to be very odd coming into an episode when they just go "... and Savile says..."

grainger

I wonder how many TOTP episodes are left that are sufficiently different from ones they've already covered? (Genuine quesiton: I have no idea if it's 0 or 1,000,000).

As discussed upthread, they could potentially move onto other shows if that happens.

non capisco

Quote from: grainger on October 05, 2023, 03:56:31 PMI wonder how many TOTP episodes are left that are sufficiently different from ones they've already covered? (Genuine quesiton: I have no idea if it's 0 or 1,000,000).

A huge amount, I'd say. I've watched all the surviving ones from the 60s to where the BBC4 repeats are at now and in some ways they've not even scratched the surface.

grainger

Quote from: non capisco on October 05, 2023, 03:58:20 PMA huge amount, I'd say. I've watched all the surviving ones from the 60s to where the BBC4 repeats are at now and in some ways they've not even scratched the surface.

Thanks. Even disregarding Savile episodes?

non capisco

Yeah, I'd say so. Savile's appearances start to lessen from the late 70s iirc.

Quote from: centristmelt on October 03, 2023, 02:31:03 PMThere's an episode from June 1968 that's survived (hosted by Savile and Davy Jones) - CM have never gone that far back. It's a shame if they never cover that.

The #1 that week is a bit unfortunate however....

From going through that massive TOTP archive link during COVID times, I am pretty sure this was one of the files where all of the host links are completely mute (that 1971 edition with wall-to-wall 'granny music' was another). With it I suppose they won't have the cunt's sonic noncing soundwaves to talk about.

And nevermind 'Young Girl', the real wrongness would be any Savile episode where Gilbert O'Sullivan is also on with Clair. It's allegedly 'innocent' but fuckin hell those lyrics.

George White

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 05, 2023, 03:29:22 PMWhy not just ignore him and any episodes he was on?
They've managed pretty well so far, and him appearing heavily is hardly going to generate funny content.
The fucking nonce doesn't deserve the attention - and Al definitely doesn't deserve having to spend time researching him.
Which is why I think that the HST train is probably the best ep to tackle him.  Where he comes across not as a DJ but as basically a British Rail rep (which of course he was,but he seems solely like that).
God, Jim'll would have convinced the Tories that HS2 was viable. Possibly the only reason one would want him alive.

I'd be interested to hear what Taylor would think of the Reckoning, and its 70s where to quote him about other dramas, everyone looks like Pulp.

gilbertharding

Any word on when the live episode will be released as a podcast? I keep worrying that I've missed it.

Luckily a new episode of Tomorrow's World Audit Time just dropped to tide me over, but nevertheless...

pigamus

Quote from: George White on October 02, 2023, 09:22:17 PMAnyone else curious about them doing a US TOTP from 1987?
Found one online, and it was entirely baffling. With Nia Peeples as a kind of more attractive US Janice, and Gary Davies there as token Brit, a cobbled together mishmash of stuff from the UK show and US acts frequently those who never made it here, i.e. some Latino teen heartthrob named Noel (pronounced No-ellllle, as if to differentiate himself from Neol).

Oh him, yeah. They used to call him The Second.

Quote from: jazzy_sabotage on October 05, 2023, 05:10:41 PMFrom going through that massive TOTP archive link during COVID times, I am pretty sure this was one of the files where all of the host links are completely mute (that 1971 edition with wall-to-wall 'granny music' was another). With it I suppose they won't have the cunt's sonic noncing soundwaves to talk about.

And nevermind 'Young Girl', the real wrongness would be any Savile episode where Gilbert O'Sullivan is also on with Clair. It's allegedly 'innocent' but fuckin hell those lyrics.

Brotherhood Of Man: "...although you're only three..."

Spoiler alert
"...you're old enough for DLT"
[close]

gilbertharding

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 06, 2023, 10:23:57 AMAny word on when the live episode will be released as a podcast? I keep worrying that I've missed it.

Are they all alright?

DrGreggles

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 06, 2023, 10:23:57 AMAny word on when the live episode will be released as a podcast? I keep worrying that I've missed it.

It was posted on Patreon about mid October last year.

gilbertharding