Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:16:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Questions To Ask Whilst Viewing A Potential Flat...

Started by SOTS, January 31, 2010, 11:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SOTS

Now, I know this will turn into a joke thread but I am starting it with the intention of it being a source of genuine advice.

Basically, me and my friends are off to view a flat on Wednesday. We've never done that before. We don't really know what questions about the flat we should be asking the person that is showing us round.

What questions about the flat should we be asking the person that is showing us round?

Cerys

vrailaine

Who pays for oil, internet, that kinda shit?
How old the oven and fridge and all those kinds of things are?
How old the windows are, if they're double glazed, etc.
Is there a vacuum cleaner?

I dunno, there's some anyways.

An tSaoi

The really obvious questions would be "Is the cooker gas or electric?", "How does the boiler work?", "Have the locks been changed since the last occupants?" etc. Also, check there's no mould hidden behind the sofa, and see if there's a fire extinguisher about.

Serge

"Does it have radiators?", according to a friend of mine, who swears he knows someone who started renting a flat without checking to make sure it actually had any form of heating.

Lyndon

Check the shower. For power. I wish our shower was more powerful. Sure, I've grown to love the bath, but it would be nice to have a viable alternative. I seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time either in or thinking about the bath/shower, but I presume you and your friends are girls so I guess you will too, you know, getting ready and all that. Hair and make-up.

Zero Gravitas

Any recent vermin, insect or xenomorph infestations.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

-Does it get damp in the winter?
-Has it been burgled and if so what measures were taken by the landlord after the burglary to prevent another one?
-Is the bond for the house secure under the Deposit Protection Scheme?
-Would the landlord be prepared to do * (depending on any particular concerns relating to fixtures and fittings)?
-Is there a fire extinguisher installed?
-Do the neighbours make a lot of noise? (might be one to ask any housemate who is in)

It's difficult to find a good place for the 2nd year I think, so many students are preyed on by scumbags. Don't go along with anything that you aren't comfortable with.

rudi

How long are you planning on staying there? That's not a question you should ask; that's a question I'm asking you. :-)

SOTS

Erm, possibly the next three years, possibly only one... it depends if we get a new place or rent out the room to a new person when my friend goes abroad in third year.

rudi

Johnny Townmouse

- Is it a combi boiler, when was the last inspection, when is the next> If they don't know the answer to these very quickly then they're as bent as barrymore
- Are the white goods covered in the contract?
- If I am liable to clean the carpets and curtains upon the termination of my contract, can I assume that the same treatment has been applied to the property prior to entering? Can you provide proof.

And ALWAYS take photos of the property with the date/time stamped on, and email them to yourself.

An tSaoi

'Will you refuse to return my deposit if I leave some coins in the drawer and a shampoo bottle in the shower?' Because that's what happened to me.

SOTS

rudi

Danger Man

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on February 01, 2010, 12:08:09 AM
And ALWAYS take photos of the property with the date/time stamped on, and email them to yourself.

That is seriously good advice. Take photos the day you move in.

vrailaine

Quote from: An tSaoi on February 01, 2010, 12:13:36 AM
'Will you refuse to return my deposit if I leave some coins in the drawer and a shampoo bottle in the shower?' Because that's what happened to me.
Seriously?

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on February 01, 2010, 12:08:09 AM
Yay, I done that!

An tSaoi

Quote from: vrailaine on February 01, 2010, 12:35:50 AM
Seriously?

They counted it as 'Damages and Cleaning'. After much arguing I got some of the deposit back.

Key

Try and find out what council tax band the property is under (of course if you are a student you won't be paying council tax making this post irrelevant)

biggytitbo

Ask what the sound proofing is like and note the response.

Santa's Boyfriend

Ask if they will accept sex as payment.  If they say no, try drugs.

MojoJojo

phes

Re. renting in blocks/houses split into flats: Go back after the viewing - knock on your neighbours' doors and ask them about their experience of the agency/landlord. Also you will be able to make a cursory assessment of how big a lunatic/cunt they are.

"Are you racist towards non-Chinese people?" is one I should have asked my previous house-share landlord.

"Will you ask me to move out immediately when I'm in another city enjoying Christmas with my family?" is another.

"Will you still give me the full deposit back after you spend twenty minutes fishing your keys out of the toilet while I watch?" ended up making me feel quite a bit better.

I did have some genuine suggestions, too, but they've been covered. I suggest an evening viewing if possible, though, as that's when your neighbours are likely to show their noisiest colours.

Treguard of Dunshelm

make sure to try the taps, particularly to see if the hot tap actually gives hot water.

Neville Chamberlain

Questions me and my friends should have asked my landlord before moving into our house in Birmingham:

- Are there any holes in the floors in the upstairs bedrooms that have been cunningly concealed by beds?

- Do the wardrobes look like they had a family of pigeons nesting in them?

- How many supermarket trolleys are likely to be thrown over the fence into the garden per day?

- Is the shed haunted?

Some of these might be useful to you!

CaledonianGonzo

If it's in Edinburgh and you're buying the place, ask about any outstanding Statutory Notices for the upkeep of the communal areas.

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/internet/housing/private_tenants_and_home_owners/homeworks/cec_statutory_notice

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/internet/Attachments/Internet/Housing/Private_tenants_and_home_owners/Homeworks/Homeworks%20leaflets/Statutory%20Notice%20Leaflet.pdf

Or if it's a factored property, who and how you pay the factor's fees.

If you're renting, it's not really relevant, though.

tater pie

I can't believe no-one's said this already, but check how many electrical points there are.  You don't want to end up with only one and have to choose between your computer and your phone charger or have a dangerous system of extensions which electrocutes you just by looking at it because there's so much bloody electricity flowing about it.  Yeah, because, that happens. 

Kapuscinski

Ask them about the local area, but don't rely on their comments. Do some research and visit the area once during the evening and once during the rush hour.

This advice is more for if you find one you like:

Make sure, if you do decide to take a flat, they draw up a correct tenancy agreement. If you decide to live in the same flat one you finish being a student, and need to apply for  Housing and Council Tax Benefit at some time in the future, an incorrectly worded tenancy agreement can cause problems. This has happened to me today.

Go through the agreement with a fine tooth comb as well. Although this may be pointing out the obvious.

PaulTMA

Is there any central heating?

Really foolish error, that one.  Lesson learned.