Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:21:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A totally different type of people

Started by boxofslice, February 18, 2010, 02:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie the Raincoat

On Virgin Trains, reserve a seat in the quiet carriage.  It's lovely and usually almost empty.  I had a lovely sleep on it from London to Glasgow.

As for Sir Nicholas, I'm not surprised by his comments.  He's an idiot with racist fuckhead for a wife.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

I don't have too much of a problem with trains, often there are crumbs on the seats/floor which makes me go a bit queasy but it's not a real problem. I'd never really thought about first class carriages until recently, where I was on a massive train where half the seats were first class, and every single one of the others was reserved. You should at least be allowed to sit in a first class seat if it's empty and there's no other room on the train. But I didn't have the guts to do such a rebellious thing, so instead I sat in a reserved seat until we got to the station where the reservee was due to come on, then stood by the door for the remaining half-hour.

The one thing that really, really infuriates me is train prices though. From South Coast to anything besides London or a station in your own county you can be looking at hundreds - hundreds - of pounds, even knowing the right tricks often only brings the price down to a still-ridiculous level. And what if you don't know the right tricks? Plenty of people don't know/don't have time to shop around and try 300 different ticket combinations, and are paying the price of a small pony to get somewhere less than 200 miles away.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. It's completely nonsensical and I don't see how train companies can have the balls to do it. There's only one obvious solution - force them to give all regular train customers the small ponies they are OWED.

hpmons

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on February 18, 2010, 08:46:10 PM
You should at least be allowed to sit in a first class seat if it's empty and there's no other room on the train.
At least on Southern trains, I find that they generally allow anyone to sit in first class if the train is crowded.

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on February 18, 2010, 08:46:10 PM
The one thing that really, really infuriates me is train prices though. From South Coast to anything besides London or a station in your own county you can be looking at hundreds - hundreds - of pounds, even knowing the right tricks often only brings the price down to a still-ridiculous level. And what if you don't know the right tricks? Plenty of people don't know/don't have time to shop around and try 300 different ticket combinations, and are paying the price of a small pony to get somewhere less than 200 miles away.
With a railcard, I don't find the tickets *that* bad to be honest.  Still generally more than I'd like to pay- I think its £14 from Eastbourne to London return, buying on the day, which means £21 for normal people. Then its about £20 if its an open return, which I really don't understand, as you are still travelling the same distance... But to go somewhere further its really not that impossible to find a good deal. 

Several times I've looked a week in advance - sometimes even less - and found a single ticket from Brighton to Bristol for £5.90.  Generally as long as I look at about eight or nine days in advance, I can get a return for under £20.  That's THROUGH London, a total of around 4h journey each way, which is pretty good.  If I look less than a week it creeps up to around £25.
I don't remember how much it costs from Eastbourne to Wakefield (the only other far place Ive been to), but I think it was around £35, which I thought was a bit much, but after you lot mention the millions you have to spend I guess it's pretty good.

El Unicornio, mang

I use the Polar Express and have no complaints.