Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:43:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gaving and Stacey is coming Back

Started by madhair60, May 28, 2019, 10:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliggg

I actually thought it was brilliant. Though I am a cunt so my opinion means less than nothing. Also I actually didn't think it was brilliant at all it was fucking shite. Why did Julia Davis get plastic surgery? She was gorgeous before it.

Captain Z

The Gavin and Staceys all standing in a row wearing shades while Livin la Vida Loca plays.

kitsofan34

It was...fine but it felt like a greatest hits. Dawn and Pete argue, The Camping Trip, Ness' wacky life, the very Horne and Corden "Step into Christmas" song and dance (no discernible joke but you can't fault their commitment). Just all quite tired and from a nostalgic point of view, I'm sure it's perfectly pleasant but there's really no need for more of it (any any nostalgia I could have from the show is prevented from my sister watching it ad nauseum, seriously, she was watching the last Christmas special in June this year). All a bit pointless and unnecessary, trying to take over the Royle Family's Christmas Day slot.

I know she was portrayed as a nasty piece of work, but fucking come on Corden you cannot seriously cast that woman as your girlfriend.

EDIT: Oh and please no child actors.

alan nagsworth

Probably makes me sound like a knobhead on a comedy analysis website but I just don't understand where people find the time to watch something they know will be fine/passable at best, and annoying/shit at worst. Taking a chance on something and trying to get into it is one thing, but every critic of the show knows at this point in time that Gavin and Stacey will be Not Very Good. Just seems utterly pointless watching it.

The only time I ever took the time to watch something I knew would be bad was about four years ago getting pissed on my own and forcing myself through the whole first series of Derek in one sitting, but that's different, since I knew it would be a hilariously awful car crash and a blood-boiling hate-watch experience, which it was. But Gavin and Stacey? Honestly man who cares enough to blankly watch that load of flannel for 60 minutes of their lives? I find it baffling.

Twit 2

Bryn's getting in a right faff over the dinner!
WHAT'S HE LAWK?!

Smithy's talking all funny!
WHAT'S HE LAWK?!

Larry Lamb's stoned off his tits.
WHAT'S HE LAWK?!

Ness is doing something competently, which you just wouldn't expect from a fat Welsh cunt.
WHAT'S HE LAWK?!

They forgot to buy mince pies!
WHAT'S HE LAWK?!

They're talking about service stations!
WHAT'S HE LAWK?!

WHAT'S HE LAWK?!
WHAT'S HE LAWK?!
GAVLAR
WHAT'S HE LAWK?!
HAHA WALES

robotam

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 27, 2019, 09:57:34 AM
Probably makes me sound like a knobhead on a comedy analysis website but I just don't understand where people find the time to watch something they know will be fine/passable at best, and annoying/shit at worst. Taking a chance on something and trying to get into it is one thing, but every critic of the show knows at this point in time that Gavin and Stacey will be Not Very Good. Just seems utterly pointless watching it.

The only time I ever took the time to watch something I knew would be bad was about four years ago getting pissed on my own and forcing myself through the whole first series of Derek in one sitting, but that's different, since I knew it would be a hilariously awful car crash and a blood-boiling hate-watch experience, which it was. But Gavin and Stacey? Honestly man who cares enough to blankly watch that load of flannel for 60 minutes of their lives? I find it baffling.
It's christmas time and the rest of the family likes Gavin and Stacey

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Julia Davis was in it for about 5 minutes, then that creepy looking bloke from " Crashing" and " Killing Eve" turned up, being her husband.
That one who played Saxondale's girlfriend gave everyone taps for Christmas, and the one playing James Corden's girlfriend quite rightly thought " what the fuck is *this* about? Bunch of weird cunts."
It was quite clearly filmed in the Summertime, with everyone walking around in t-shirts, and having to do some " shiver"acting when outside.
I don't give a wooden wank what happened on your fucking fishing trip.
Saying " cracking" in a Welsh accent is not inherently amusing.
All of the characters are completely lacking in charm and the remotest aspect of likeability.
( I'm relatively new to " Gavin and Stacey".)

At least the fucking BBC can stop playing that trailer for it every 5 fucking minutes now.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: robotam on December 27, 2019, 10:12:55 AM
It's christmas time and the rest of the family likes Gavin and Stacey

Aye I'm aware of that, given that I'm in the same boat. Doesn't mean I watched it though, and never will. Just opt for going for a shower and stand there in the steamy solitude and have a 50-minute wank instead. Or go in another room and lie face down on the floor.

undeliberated

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jan/02/gavin-and-stacey-special-watched-by-quarter-uk-population

I don't understand. Had never watched it before, but I did check out the christmas special on iplayer. Hilariously, I watched 45 mins of the 2008 christmas special before I realised it wasn't the one I was meant to be watching. Then I watched the new one, fully prepared. I can sort of see how Ness is a comedy character in some technical sense, but the rest is just unjoked. What am I supposed to get out of it?

Jake Thingray

It felt like there was too much Corden in this special, as opposed to in the original series.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: kitsofan34 on December 27, 2019, 12:23:00 AM
It was...fine but it felt like a greatest hits. Dawn and Pete argue, The Camping Trip, Ness' wacky life, the very Horne and Corden "Step into Christmas" song and dance (no discernible joke but you can't fault their commitment). Just all quite tired and from a nostalgic point of view, I'm sure it's perfectly pleasant but there's really no need for more of it (any any nostalgia I could have from the show is prevented from my sister watching it ad nauseum, seriously, she was watching the last Christmas special in June this year). All a bit pointless and unnecessary, trying to take over the Royle Family's Christmas Day slot.

I know she was portrayed as a nasty piece of work, but fucking come on Corden you cannot seriously cast that woman as your girlfriend.

EDIT: Oh and please no child actors.

Meant to say, apart from agreeing with the above, that there really was far too much singing, reminded me of SOTCAA's complaints about post-Office sitcoms having contrived, would-be clipshow moments.

dissolute ocelot

Yeah, it was enjoyable enough despite being not really funny. It was nice to see Gav and Stacey actually have a sweet moment together without Corden smashing in like a 747 into a Scottish Borders down. The Step Into Christmas thing was exactly the sort of thing a real family who think they're all wacky would do at Christmas, and equally amusing. Just a shame that it failed as a final send-off (whereas such as the Office Xmas special largely succeeded in that department) and now we're going to have to put up with another one every couple of years like OFAH till they're all dead. And further teasing on the camping trip when the idea of a homosexual misunderstanding is so old-fashioned that there's a thrash metal band from Fife called Gay Panic Defence. Why doesn't Nessa just eat them all? Etc.

jobotic

The "outsiders are bad" narrative suited the times.