Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:45:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four

Started by daf, June 01, 2012, 04:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The Kenny Andrews interview basically boiled down to:

Mike: Do you like the band you've just joined?
Ken: Meh, they're alright

GoochDogHigh5s

Some  of questions

1) Who the fuck were Dandy? Awful excuse fir white man/boys disco?

2)I am sure that the Summer Nights video was shown on TOTPs for at least 8 weeks. The credits even acknowledge that.

3( Liquid Gold song..... Why did Wild Cherry not sue?

daf

You're right, they did show both 'Summer Nights' and 'You're the One that I Want' back in 1978.

Presumably they could show the film clips at the time for free, as they were great promotion for the film.

These days, Channel 4 have the TV rights, so if the BBC showed the videos they'd have to stump up £2000 each time (which would be £8000 per week due to 3 TV showings, and one on i-player).

That's all it is - money.

(they usually cut the Grease credit out at the end, but one did slip through the net recently)

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: daf on October 19, 2013, 04:05:51 PM
You're right, they did show both 'Summer Nights' and 'You're the One that I Want' back in 1978.

Presumably they could show the film clips at the time for free, as they were great promotion for the film.

These days, Channel 4 have the TV rights, so if the BBC showed the videos they'd have to stump up £2000 each time (which would be £8000 per week due to 3 TV showings, and one on i-player).

That's all it is - money.

(they usually cut the Grease credit out at the end, but one did slip through the net recently)
Cheers . I thought I was going mad

gilbertharding

Quote from: daf on October 18, 2013, 03:02:17 PM
9-11-78: Presenter:
Spoiler alert
Mike Read
[close]

Obviously, like any sane man my age, I have a loathing of Mike Read based on several salient facts:

• His frequent and obvious attempts to shoehorn his 'musical talents' into his other work (ALWAYS getting his guitar out on Saturday Superstore) - I wasn't aware of the 'HighRise' scandal, but I'm not surprised about the reports of his false outrage over being outed, or his mendacity over having it playlisted anonymously.

• It was HIS idea to get Frankie Goes to Hollywood banned.

• And Some Candy Talking by the J&MC (I think... )

• I'm not sure if his humiliation over the Oscar Wilde musical redeems him, or further damns him. Go on then - it was hubris, and he's a wanker.

Anyway - I don't know how much influence the presenter has on the selection of acts for a given show - perhaps it's my imagination that Tony Blackburn fronted quite soul-heavy shows, whereas Kid Jensen and Peter Powell weren't afraid to showcase the more modern new wave stuff. The least said about Edmonds the better, obviously...

Well, it's early to say, but is Mike Read's debut - featuring Cars, Dandy and Patrick Juvet, and the excruciating interview about the roots of DooWop with the new singer out of Darts all part of a hideous notion that this music should be considered as a mannered art form with serious pretentions... a kind of didacticism which is ... oh, really, I don't know. Did I mention I hate him?

The Cars, for instance, are a brilliant example (for me), a wrong-end-of-the-stick reaction on the part of a record company (pronounced r'k'd company) executive to the New Wave ("...so it sounds like those 60s groups..."). Dandy, ditto but for disco (Dandy, surely plucked from an episode of the Professionals, where they appear as extras in a scene in a swanky discotheque nightclub, jigging along in the background while they mime to their completely anodyne version of generic dance music, as Bodie and/or Doyle try to compete for this week's lovely lady by ordering grown-up drinks in risible attempts to appear sophisticated.

Or something.

Chas and Dave were awful.

Can Bob Geldof actually play the saxophone? *edit* ah... I see not.

Darts were nothing without Den Hegarty... he's obviously reconciled whatever differences he had, because he appeared in the "ToTP 197x" round-up shows at the beginning of the years...

Also - this IS hindsight, I admit, but Mike Read does seem to be falling all too readily into the audience interaction trap (surrounded by/cuddling bored looking girls, namely).

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 22, 2013, 10:38:35 AM
Chas and Dave were awful.

Give over, I'd never heard this one before and it was fantastic. Great to see them in early days. I'd never heard the Dandy one either, a bit rum though you couldn't help but give it your attention. There's lots of tracks like this which never registered as 'golden oldies' in days hence, but make for fascinating viewing today.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on October 22, 2013, 11:11:51 AM
There's lots of tracks like this which never registered as 'golden oldies' in days hence, but make for fascinating viewing today.

I agree wholeheartedly.

But allow me to clarify my Chas and Dave opinion: I like Chas and Dave as much as the next person, but the song was awful, I think - even on its own terms it was too long, ponderous, and not really funny. The Cockney Rex Harrison style talking/singing thing just didn't work and their beards were too long and shaggy. They were that week's Smurfs.

However, it's funny to watch them and know that they are 10 months away from supporting the bill at Led Zeppelin's last UK concerts.

Gulftastic

gilbertharding

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 24, 2013, 08:45:34 PM
No Legs & Co tonight! Swizz!

One can only presume that they thought there was enough 'for the dads' contained within the lingering close-up of audience members cleavage during the Elton John clip (not to mention Blondie's video).

Incidentally - another view of times past is glimsed in the (almost) complete absence of poppies worn by presenters, acts audience - something which would be unthinkable today, when failure to wear one is seen as tantamount to treason in some quarters.

Chas (or was it Dave?) wore one last week, and Paul Young this week.

gilbertharding

Also touching was Kid Jensen's introduction of the group Child - completely unaware (although it's obvious) that rather than being a fresh new group with a bright future, destined to be remembered for a string of hits, they were in fact a Bay City Rollers knock off without even the tartan gimmick to sustain them. They had the wrong haircuts, the wrong trousers, and were generally THREE YEARS TOO LATE.

Impressively nonchalant stick twirling from the pretty one on drums though. He's obviously put the hours in.

daf

16-11-78: Presenter:
Spoiler alert
David Jensen
[close]

(12)   
Spoiler alert
THE THREE DEGREES – Giving Up, Giving In
[close]
(and charts)
The Happy sound!
(NEW)   
Spoiler alert
BUZZCOCKS – Promises
[close]
Oof! bit of a shambolic ending. Is that how it is on the record?
(24)   
Spoiler alert
ELTON JOHN – Part Time Love
[close]
(video)
Cheeky Elton - A send up of a Top of the Pops studio performance, complete with bulldozing cameras and lingering shots of some lovely knockers (though, I don't think the audience has been quite that lively since the early Seventies!)
(7)   
Spoiler alert
SHOWADDYWADDY – Pretty Little Angel Eyes
[close]
A repeat, but luckily of the performance we missed from the last DLT show.
(29)   
Spoiler alert
ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS – Radio Radio
[close]
Woot! This time we get the ten missing extra seconds at the end - Eat that, Blackburn!

(23)   
Spoiler alert
HEATWAVE – Always And Forever
[close]
This was recorded way back in 1976, and was the American follow up single to Boogie Nights, but not released in the UK at the time.
Very odd to go back to the previous album for a single - particularly as it's a load of rubbish!
(18)   
Spoiler alert
BLONDIE – Hanging On The Telephone
[close]
(video)
Forget Debbie Harry, I'm now avidly monitoring Blondie performances for a glimpse of Clem Burke's excellent thunder-stealing twiddlesticks. . . (waits) . . YES! There he goes!
(70)   
Spoiler alert
DEAN FRIEDMAN – Lydia
[close]
Good bit of hair ruffling and rabbit fingers on show from the audience, who seem more interested in gawking at the monitors than poor old Dean.
(25)   
Spoiler alert
STREETBAND – Toast
[close]
They're wearing bibs! Oh the humanity!
(13)   
Spoiler alert
QUEEN – Fat Bottomed Girls
[close]
(video)
Shame there's no Legs & Co routine this week - as this seems tailor made for some sexy fun with prosthetic bums ( . . . sets imagination to 'stun').
(NEW)   
Spoiler alert
CHILD – Still The One
[close]
Massive stinker of the week.
(1)   
Spoiler alert
THE BOOMTOWN RATS – Rat Trap
[close]
The Travolta-ripping performance, slightly blunted by overfamiliarity - ironically, unlike the John Travolta video, which (Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under) HAS NEVER EXISTED!! (Three, two, one... and you're back in the room)
(14)   
Spoiler alert
ROD STEWART – Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?
[close]
(and credits)
Excellent audience participation gag at the end. Goodbye and Good sex!

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: daf on October 25, 2013, 04:14:25 PM
(1)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
The Travolta-ripping performance, slightly blunted by overfamiliarity - ironically, unlike the John Travolta video, which (Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under) HAS NEVER EXISTED!! (Three, two, one... and you're back in the room)

Personally think every new number one performance should begin with the band ripping up a picture of the previous number one's artist. Still, seems like bloody ages since we've had a new performance for number one, after endless John+John cuts, that dreary-as-fuck Commodores video, and 10cc never bothering to show up for more than one performance.

daf

23-11-78: Presenter:
Spoiler alert
Mike Read
[close]

(24)   
Spoiler alert
MUSIQUE – In The Bush
[close]
(and charts)
Shame we'll only get to see this as a chart rundown.
(64)   
Spoiler alert
RACEY – Lay Your Love On Me
[close]
Ooh look - it's Sue!
(2)   
Spoiler alert
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN – Hopelessly Devoted To You
[close]
(not the video)
Well, obviously there was a Grease video here originally, still, another chance to see Lulu and Chums frolic about is alright by me!
(30)   
Spoiler alert
DOLLAR – Shooting Star
[close]
Still appalled the sight of  DVD's squashed 'fun-bundle'. Oof - That's got to smart!
(29)   
Spoiler alert
SYLVESTER – Dance (Disco Heat)
[close]
(danced to by The Tweety Pies)
Due to the way the 7:30 show was edited, we not only got two Legs & Co routines after each other, but three Sue's in a row (Jackpot!)
The odd thing is that for a Sylvester record, he's practically inaudible. Most of the singing seems to be done by the duo "Two Tons of Fun" :

(28)   
Spoiler alert
ELKIE BROOKS – Don't Cry Out Loud
[close]
Might be OK for a Two Ronnies slot, but not even two key changes and an audibly 'refreshed' Kenny Ball can rescue this one.
(4)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
(video)
Look who pinched Olivia Newton John's trousers!
(NEW)   
Spoiler alert
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER – All I Want Is You
[close]
Keith Emerson showing off his massive organ pedal here (Clutch, Brake and Accelerator all in one!)
(25)   
Spoiler alert
SARAH BRIGHTMAN & HOT GOSSIP – I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper
[close]
We finally reach the apogee of the sexy Space Disco genre with this corker.
Love the little musical references to all the Sci-Fi Films as they appear in the lyrics : my particular favourite is the Star Wars "BAAA-DAAANG!" bit after she mentions Darth Vader being banished to Mars (!)
(19)   
Spoiler alert
X-RAY SPEX – Germ Free Adolescence
[close]
Ah, lets hear it for the old school band valiantly honking away. Sadly, the audience remain unmoved . . .
(NEW)   
Spoiler alert
DAVID ESSEX – Goodbye First Love
[close]
. . . Unlike for this one - where they burst into enthusiastic applause before he even starts. 
(1)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
I used to like this one, but after two solid month of it . . . Meh.
(23)   
Spoiler alert
CHIC – Le Freak
[close]
(and credits)
Right at the end we see David Essex has stuck around to dish out autographs to his adoring public. Good Egg!

daf

30-11-78: Presenter:
Spoiler alert
Peter Powell
[close]

(25)   
Spoiler alert
VILLAGE PEOPLE – Y.M.C.A.
[close]
(and charts)
Woot! Disco Classic - Get in!
(43)   
Spoiler alert
THE REZILLOS – Destination Venus
[close]
Looking very much like the British B-52's here -  all wonky 50's cocktail bar fashion, and incorporating their very own 'scary shouty bloke'. The band have clearly worked out nice a bit of business for the backing vox, but the director's having none of it, and stays stubbornly glued to 'Old Shouty bloke' until it's all over. Idiot.
(7)   
Spoiler alert
BONEY M – Mary's Boy Child – Oh My Lord
[close]
At this point each new Boney M single seems to veer wildly from all time Classic to massive stinker. Luckily, 'Painter Man' is just around the corner!
(16)   
Spoiler alert
ELTON JOHN – Part Time Love
[close]
DOH! Of course - it's not a spoof of 'Top of the Pops', but 'Ready Steady Go'. Which accounts for all the 60's mods, and Cathy McGowan doing her trademark 'Sitting Down' move (as demonstrated here - next to Peter 'Paging Mr. No one' Noone off of The Herman's Hermits in the 'RSG' studio) :

(18)   
Spoiler alert
CHIC – Le Freak
[close]
(danced to by Hamilton Bohannon's Footstompers)
I counted them all out, and I counted them all back . . . and still no sign of Lulu, Damnit! Of all the weeks to take off.
(11)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
Featuring two emergency teabags hanging from the Bass guitar's headstock.
(28)   
Spoiler alert
BUZZCOCKS – Promises
[close]
Nice Jumper.
(50)   
Spoiler alert
LEO SAYER – Raining In My Heart
[close]
Sitting down again, the lazy bugger. 
(5)   
Spoiler alert
BLONDIE – Hanging On The Telephone
[close]
(video)
From this point on, Peter's intros seem to have got a bit jumbled up - this one mentions he's sat down (like Leo Sayer?), but Blondie are stood up (eh?).
(19)   
Spoiler alert
THE BARRON KNIGHTS – A Taste Of Aggro
[close]
I keep thinking that's Vivian Stanshall acting as the dentist.
(20)   
Spoiler alert
DARTS – Don't Let It Fade Away
[close]
"Who's next?" says Peter introducing Darts (an excellent 'pun' - but more appropriate for the 'Dr. Who' record, surely?)
(45)   
Spoiler alert
MANKIND – Dr. Who
[close]
Then you'd have thought this 'hammers and meat cleavers' intro must have been worked out for The Barron Knights 'Aggro'.
(1)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
(video)
And finally, he 'unveils' one of the audience - which would have been ideal for 'unveiling' Kenny Andrews in his first appearance with Darts, rather than 'Old inflatable Bum' here.  What a shambles!
(14)   
Spoiler alert
THE BEE GEES – Too Much Heaven
[close]
(and credits)
Closing with a top tune from the Samantha Sang hit-makers.

daf

Another missing show courtesy of darnall42 - http://vimeo.com/79591445#at=0

7-12-78: Presenter:
Spoiler alert
Jimmy Savile O.B.E.
[close]

(17)   
Spoiler alert
MUSIQUE – In The Bush
[close]
(and charts)
Second chart rundown for this - and cut short before we get anywhere near the 'Bush'. Cowards!

(73)   
Spoiler alert
RACHEL SWEET – B-A-B-Y
[close]
Something of a Show-biz veteran by the time she recorded this - having already toured with Mickey Rooney, and opened for Bill Cosby in Las Vegas when she was twelve (!)
(12)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
(video)
Check out Old Nostradamus and chums predicting a future Navy based V.P. hit here.
(43)   
Spoiler alert
GERARD KENNY – New York, New York
[close]
Good oportunity to have a good look at the 'Pops Orchestra' out in the open (though there may be a few ringers in there too - extra brass possibly, and The Ladybirds are augmented by several Ladyblokes).
(3)   
Spoiler alert
THE BEE GEES – Too Much Heaven
[close]
(danced to by Alexis Colby's Shoulderpads)
A full compliment of Legs present here, unfortunately they've all decided to come as Joan Collins out of that there Dynasty.
(NEW)   
Spoiler alert
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN – A Little More Love
[close]
Ooh, like this one - the chorus edging into classic Xanadu territory.
(26)   
Spoiler alert
DOLLAR – Shooting Star
[close]
Coming from that golden period where synth based songs still used real bass and drums.
(23)   
Spoiler alert
JOHN TRAVOLTA – Greased Lightning
[close]
(video)
Good lord, how on earth did this slip though the edit? Check out all the fruity language!
(51)   
Spoiler alert
SALLY OLDFIELD – Mirrors
[close]
Aw, how charming! Mike Oldfield's sister, of course. Lovely stuff.
(24)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
And Sue turns up again to have a dance with 'Old Matey' the singer (could they have been an item at the time?)
(6)   
Spoiler alert
SARAH BRIGHTMAN & HOT GOSSIP – I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper
[close]
PHWOOAAR! Lloyd 'Lord' Webber, you am a lucky, lucky bastard!
(NEW)   
Spoiler alert
THE GOODIES – A Man's Best Friend Is His Duck
[close]
Well, it ain't no Funky Gibbon, that's for sure!
(1)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
Furry.
(25)   
Spoiler alert
BARBRA STREISAND & NEIL DIAMOND – You Don't Bring Me Flowers
[close]
(and credits)
Slurry.

gilbertharding

The notion of Sue Menhenick being in anyway involved with the lead singer of Racey needs stepping on. It was hard enough watching them dance together, never mind imagining anything else.

Those skin suits they wore for the Chic dance routine were quite inspiring.

daf

Bit late (or early!) with this one - should still be on the iplayer if anyone wants it.

14-12-78: Presenter:
Spoiler alert
Tony Blackburn
[close]

(28)   
Spoiler alert
EARTH, WIND & FIRE – September
[close]
(and charts)
Irresistible Disco Classic!
(55)   
Spoiler alert
ROCKY SHARPE & THE REPLAYS – Rama Lama Ding Dong
[close]
Now THIS is what Darts should have been doing for the last two singles. Top gag with the sunglasses, and bonus point for the teeny tiny Saxophone.
(25)   
Spoiler alert
HOT CHOCOLATE – I'll Put You Together Again
[close]
(video)
Plum-crushing trousers recently donated by David Van Day.
(23)   
Spoiler alert
BUZZCOCKS – Promises
[close]
This gets a bit of a bit of a clumsy edit about five seconds from the end (if they desperately needed an extra five seconds, couldn't they have just faded the end credit song out a bit earlier instead?)
(12)   
Spoiler alert
ELKIE BROOKS – Don't Cry Out Loud
[close]
The chorus of this reminds me of The Honeybus "I Can't let Maggie go".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih4zwp-0GeQ
(27)   
Spoiler alert
MANKIND – Dr. Who
[close]
New set of drums (there's posh!). No Tom Baker scarf this time - favouring the Pertwee era with the flamboyant cape.

(18)   
Spoiler alert
DARTS – Don't Let It Fade Away
[close]
or  'Let it Be' as it was previously known (including clangorous Harrison-esque guitar solo chucked in for good measure).
(4)   
Spoiler alert
THE BARRON KNIGHTS – A Taste Of Aggro
[close]
Why does he say Spurs fan? Surely it'd make more sense with the Matchstalk song for it to be Manchester United or Man City!
(30)   
Spoiler alert
IAN DURY & THE BLOCKHEADS – Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
[close]
(video)
Terrible sound, but nice to see actual film being used rather than grotty NTSC video - ELO take note!
(8)   
Spoiler alert
BARBRA STREISAND & NEIL DIAMOND – You Don't Bring Me Flowers
[close]
(danced to by Hovis Wholegrain)
Wahey - One for the Mums!
(7)   
Spoiler alert
CHIC – Le Freak
[close]
(video)
That stripey oblong has been superimposed to mask out the band's name and song title - which, ironically, is just the sort of thing 'The Pops' would slap on themselves in the Eighties.
(15)   
Spoiler alert
ELTON JOHN – Song For Guy
[close]
They didn't hang around in those days - he was only on the show with his last single two weeks ago!
(1)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
There's a six minute 12" version of this out there - imagine that . . . SIX minutes - Oh the humanity!
(9)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
(and credits)
Michael from 'HMS London' kindly gives Tony a framed picture of 'something' (we never get to see it, but a crudely drawn anatomically correct 'Diddy' David Hamilton is my best guess).

Subtle Mocking

That
Spoiler alert
Darts
[close]
song is fucking awful, bored me to tears the first time and forced me to skip it the second time. What happened to them? They used to be cool. I agree that the
Spoiler alert
Rama Lama Ding Dong
[close]
song was more like what they should have been doing. Instead they decided on that limp, lifeless balladry.

Not one of
Spoiler alert
Hot Chocolate
[close]
's best singles either. Very happy to see
Spoiler alert
Rhythm Stick
[close]
though, one of the best singles ever made.

daf

Say goodbye to Noel Edmonds, with his last edition (stuck in a tiny cupboard) - The 1978 Christmas Top of the Pops on tonight at 9pm.

thepuffpastryhangman

Having just seen the video how have I  gone 35 years without heating Linda's hairstyle referred to as the mullet of Kintyre?

Nowhere Man

That Showaddywaddy cover of Dion & The Belmonts is shit. It's basically them copying the exact fucking original version except making it shit.

daf

Live from a corner of the Swap Shop set!
Spoiler alert
25-12-78: Presenter: Noel Edmonds
[close]

Spoiler alert
DARTS – The Boy From New York City
[close]
New Performance - with Kenny Andrews in for Den.
Spoiler alert
BONEY M – Rasputin
[close]
Particularly like Bobby's imitation of some sort of manic flapping vampire bat half way through.
(53)   
Spoiler alert
JOHN TRAVOLTA & OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN – Summer Nights
[close]
(danced to by The Christmas Puddings)
In it's rightful place at last, though any charm has long been eroded by repetition. On the plus side, that's the last time we'll ever see it!
Spoiler alert
WINGS – Mull Of Kintyre
[close]
(video)
Confusingly (thanks to it being an end of year hit, we also got this in last years Christmas edition (see also 'Bohemian Rhapsody' in the '75 & '76 Christmas shows)
Spoiler alert
BROTHERHOOD OF MAN – Figaro
[close]
New performance - and Old Bill Beaumont on the end has finally been badgered into joining the bubble perm club. Wretched.

Spoiler alert
FATHER ABRAHAM & THE SMURFS – The Smurf Song
[close]
(video)
What's Father Abraham going on about?  That smurf isn't singing out of key - he's just harmonising a countermelody against the main melody line. Bearded tit!
Spoiler alert
THE BEE GEES – Night Fever
[close]
(should be the video)
This should have been the video - as there doesn't seem to be any clips from the film in it, I can't quite see why they cut it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ihs-vT9T3Q
Spoiler alert
BRIAN & MICHAEL – Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs
[close]
New performance - possibly recorded for the strike cancelled 21 December Top of the Pops show, which (according to the 'One for the Dads' website) may also have featured 'Rat Trap', 'Brown Girl in the Ring', 'Love's Unkind', 'Come Back my love', and  'Lay your love on me' by Racey.
Spoiler alert
BRIGHOUSE & RASTRICK BRASS BAND – The Floral Dance
[close]
With all the potential disco and New Wave crackers available, it's baffling to go back to THIS - particularly as, like 'Mull of 'kin Tyre', WE HAD THIS ONE LAST YEAR!
Spoiler alert
KATE BUSH – Wuthering Heights
[close]
(video)
Hooray! We finally get to see the 'White dress' video on TV (there's also a second 'Red dress' video that was made for America  - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIC0FpW5mYM )
Spoiler alert
SHOWADDYWADDY – I Wonder Why
[close]
Jolly tune to accompany what seems to be the musings of a psychopath. Merry Christmas Everyone!
(57)   
Spoiler alert
BONEY M – Rivers Of Babylon
[close]
Still stinking up the charts months later.
Spoiler alert
THE COMMODORES – Three Times A Lady
[close]
(danced to by Columnated Ruins & Domino)
Noel's favourite song of the year. That's it, Sack him now!
Spoiler alert
ABBA – Take A Chance On Me
[close]
(video)
Eh? This is from 1977, isn't it? Whither Summer Night City?
Spoiler alert
ROSE ROYCE – Love Don't Live Here Anymore
[close]
(video)
Despite having borrowed John Bonham's drum kit for the occasion, most of the percussion is provided by the 'piew-piew' drums and a biro.
Spoiler alert
JOHN TRAVOLTA & OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN – You're The One That I Want
[close]
(not the video)
Thankfully the last time for this one too. Bye then, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out!
(1)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
With THREE Boney M songs and no sign of The Boomtown Rats, Blondie, Buzzcocks, Sham 69, or The Jam, as a showcase for the sounds of 1978 - this show is a travesty!
Spoiler alert
JAMES GALWAY – Annie's Song
[close]
(and credits)
Thanks to the spinning Sue, the grease credit remains intact.

daf

It's back - for possibly the greatest pop year of all time!

The Story of 1979 documentary and Big Hits 1979 on tonight at 9 and 10pm (hopefully featuring plenty of stuff from the banned shows).

steveh

Reading Twitter while watching it was interesting how everyone seemed so divided into really liking or really hating most tracks, with the exception of the Boomtown Rats which everyone hated.

daf

4-1-79: Presenter:
Spoiler alert
Mike Read
[close]

(24)   
Spoiler alert
PAUL EVANS – Hello, This Is Joanie (The Telephone Answering Machine Song)
[close]
(and charts)
Happy Fifteenth Birthday to the POPS! And to kick off the celebrations, here's a song about a fatal car accident - PARTY ON DUDES!
(NEW)   
Spoiler alert
GENERATION X – King Rocker
[close]
Idle Rockabilly.
(5)   
Spoiler alert
ELTON JOHN – Song For Guy
[close]
"Another 'kin' Rocker" - Ooh get you, cheeky chops!
(18)   
Spoiler alert
EARTH, WIND & FIRE – September
[close]
(danced to by Break Wind & You're Fired)
Sue busy backstage tucking into a pie. Hurry up Sue!
(6)   
Spoiler alert
IAN DURY & THE BLOCKHEADS – Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
[close]
(video)
Incredible bass line, fantastic words, and honking double sax solo - a Classic!
(21)   
Spoiler alert
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN O.B.E – A Little More Love
[close]
What a CHORUS! Better than anything from Grease. Highlight of the show.

(3)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
Sue having now finished her pie, makes it out on stage just before the whole thing is hastily faded out.
(29)   
Spoiler alert
BARRY WHITE – Just The Way You Are
[close]
(video)
. . . No, Lard.
(NEW)   
Spoiler alert
BROTHERHOOD OF MAN – Goodbye Goodbye
[close]
Terrible Terrible.
Grudging bonus point awarded for bothering to write quite a good middle eight, in an otherwise disappointing outing from the be-permed poodle poppers.
(1)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
(video)
Not doing the Arm/Letters thing yet - that originated from an episode of 'Dick Clark's American Bandstand' broadcast two days after this show - where the audience started doing it.
(16)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
(and credits)
And here's to the next 15 years!

Gulftastic

Mike Read made reference to two OBE's on the show. One was Newton-John. the other he described as a surprise.

We suspect it was Savile. It was the 15th anniversary show, and he mentioned the Beatles, so they probably did a little interview with him. Skillfully edited out.

Bobby Treetops

It was only a few years after this that Village People bizarrely started dressing like New Romantics.

And in the 2 years they went from YMCA to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiUq-EvQS7s

Yes, this really is the Village People.

daf

Bit odd this - the 'BBCFOUR' logo in the corner has gone (HOORAY!) but has been replaced by a massive light grey oblong 'watermark' (BOO!)

11-1-79: Presenter:
Spoiler alert
David Jensen
[close]

(14)   
Spoiler alert
CHAKA KHAN – I'm Every Woman
[close]
(and charts)
The Kid's badge reads 'Tuned to Radio'.
(24)   
Spoiler alert
ROCKY SHARPE & THE REPLAYS – Rama Lama Ding Dong
[close]
Good bit of business with the 'head clonking' and the the cardboard cutout sax.
(30)   
Spoiler alert
SALLY OLDFIELD – Mirrors
[close]
Victorian Nightdress - Love this.
(13)   
Spoiler alert
PAUL EVANS – Hello, This Is Joanie (The Telephone Answering Machine Song)
[close]
(video)
As Kid remarks - a bit of a sad record, and confusing - as it goes all comedy at the end.
(NEW)   
Spoiler alert
BONNIE TYLER – Louisiana Rain
[close]
Marks deducted for the half-cut string section scraping away tunelessly during the chorus.
Bonnie's hair would  later go on to make a guest appearance on Grange Hill :

(21)   
Spoiler alert
LEO SAYER – Raining In My Heart
[close]
Two rain songs in a row - this show isn't just thrown together you know!
(25)   
Spoiler alert
MANKIND – Dr. Who
[close]
A regeneration back to the first performance here.
(27)   
Spoiler alert
DRIVER 67 – Car 67
[close]
The second "Had-a-row-with-my-girlfried-who's-just-driven-off' song of the evening . . . what are the chances of that!
(NEW)   
Spoiler alert
THE DOLL – Desire Me
[close]
Excellent lepoard-print guitar (including the neck and headstock - impressive!)
(16)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
(video)
Part of a musical concept, apparently - there's posh!
(35)   
Spoiler alert
THE SHADOWS – Don't Cry For Me Argentina
[close]
Look - it's 'Old Matey' from Cockney Rebel on Bass!
(18)   
Spoiler alert
FUNKADELIC – One Nation Under A Groove
[close]
(danced to by Lah-dee-dah Gunner Grahams)
Pop Smash and no mistake. Wisely only wearing the top half of the regulation army battledress to confuse the enemy.
(NEW)   
Spoiler alert
STEVE ALLAN – Together We Are Beautiful
[close]
Musical gravy.
(1)   
Spoiler alert
[close]
(video)
Fascinating snapshot of a New York that appears to be on the economic bones of it's arse at this point (I can't make out if that's a motorway flyover, or a warehouse that's half collapsed behind them).
(29)   
Spoiler alert
BILLY JOEL – My Life
[close]
(and credits)
The glittering golden doughnut.

23 Daves

Quote from: daf on January 17, 2014, 11:49:49 AM

(27)   
Spoiler alert
DRIVER 67 – Car 67
[close]
The second "Had-a-row-with-my-girlfried-who's-just-driven-off' song of the evening . . . what are the chances of that!

Yer man behind that track got in touch with me last year through my blog, actually.  He recently recorded a concept album about the break-up of his marriage called "Now That's What I Call Divorce!" Nothing like sticking to a theme.

His follow-up single to this was banned by the BBC and is genuinely a bit disturbing. 

Gulftastic

Legs and Sue's Cameltoe were in fine form last night.