Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:38:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vegan stuff you recently tried

Started by gib, August 27, 2021, 09:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gib

Richmond meat free rashers - very impressed by these although have only had them once. Worried they might taste weird after a few times, like a lot of this stuff. Right now though they are up there as one of the best if you like this kind of thing.

Greggs vegan sausage, beans and scheeze slice. At £1.60 this was no bargain considering the size is like half a postcard. But the sausage is actually very nice, although you only get about 4 chunks. There was a similar number of beans but we all know the best bit of beans is bean juice and there's loads of that. The fake cheese is one of the best and adds a lovely gooey-ness to the bean juice. Best eaten warm.

Pret's Houmous & Chipotle wrap. Can't knock it, loads of crunchy salad stuff including interesting pickles. Top-tier houmous and a spicy smokey edge.

imitationleather

At Glastonbury last weekend I had a vegan gryos that was absolutely fantastic. One of the best meals I've ever had, no lie.

I was on LSD at the time but a friend who wasn't also said it was really delicious.

All you vegan lads: Get yourself down to Glastonbury and have a gyros from The Vegan Pyramid.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on August 27, 2021, 09:59:22 PM
At Glastonbury last weekend I had a vegan gryos that was absolutely fantastic. One of the best meals I've ever had, no lie.

I was on LSD at the time but a friend who wasn't also said it was really delicious.

All you vegan lads: Get yourself down to Glastonbury and have a gyros from The Vegan Pyramid.

It's amazing how much festival food has come along, the first time I went to bestival I had a chipati that tasted of actual vomit, I made my mate taste it to confirm and he agreed... then slapped it out of my hands when i begrudgingly attempted to get my moneys worth, and he was right to do so.

imitationleather

Obviously this wasn't at Glastonbury festival as that's not on this year, but the site has been opened for camping each weekend this month and they have a few festival food places on.

Sebastian Cobb

I did consider that but thought you might be low-key bragging about being special enough to be at the stuff they put online or something.

Buelligan

Had some Nurishh vegan cheese slices - Les Tranches Végétales Classiques - quite delicious, very buttery tasting.  Also Engevita Nutritional Yeast Flakes stirred into pasta gave it a really umami almost cheesy flavour.  Best of all, Bjorg Terrine Forestière Bio a most delicious vegan pâté.  Would eat again.  Will.

And of course, falafels, but they're a staple.  Where would the world be without them?  Fucked, that is where.

Dex Sawash

Fuckload of chips and salsa at lunch today while I waited for my vegetal numero F (numero efe no es vegan)

imitationleather

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 27, 2021, 10:17:23 PM
I did consider that but thought you might be low-key bragging about being special enough to be at the stuff they put online or something.

It was pretty sick to get to just walk inside the structure of the Pyramid Stage with barely anyone around.

itsfredtitmus

I really, really like tesco veg samosa is is but my life

who cares

Got a vegan haggis in Tesco, it was on offer. Surprisingly nice; spicey and 'umami.' Ate it over two nights with a salad accompaniment.

itsfredtitmus

I only buy food that has been contaminated with the piss, blood, shite and skin of the person that touched it before

Alberon

Vegan bakewell tart and vanilla ice cream. Bloody lovely it was too.

Unrepentent meat eater the rest of the time though.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Alberon on August 27, 2021, 11:46:05 PM
Vegan bakewell tart and vanilla ice cream. Bloody lovely it was too.

Unrepentent meat eater the rest of the time though.
any shit on it mate? bet you love your piss bakewells

itsfredtitmus

please shit on bakwells otherwise i will not buy them i only like piss bakwells

imitationleather

Unless it's vegan piss (apple juice) or vegan shit (most vegan stuff) I reckon you're in the wrong thread, pal.

DrGreggles

non capisco

Central London workers that have a job where you can't do all this new fangled "work from home" lark - Sababa Station on Goodge Street, Middle Eastern takeaway place. Grilled veg wrap with the spicy sauce. Recommended. 

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: non capisco on August 28, 2021, 12:01:46 AM
Central London workers that have a job where you can't do all this new fangled "work from home" lark - Sababa Station on Goodge Street, Middle Eastern takeaway place. Grilled veg wrap with the spicy sauce. Recommended.
What was on it? Apart from the spicy sauce?

non capisco

Load of aubergines and pickles and whatnot.

rack and peanut

Bought some Violife vegan halloumi a while back was very good but I fucked up its veganity by making halloumi fries using egg for the batter 😲

rack and peanut

Oak tree restaurant in Leigh on Sea is excellent. Didn't ruin the meal by lobbing eggs everywhere.

Pink Gregory

I find the Richmond's stuff to be hit or miss.  Sausages - some of the best; burgers and meat free mince - average to poor.  Taste and Glory have a much higher hit rate.

The Vivera bacon pieces are my go to for yer bacon type things, I find rashers are quite hard to pull off unless you really know how to cook them so they don't go stiff and papery.

The Mollusk

Had carrot last night. Very disappointing but think the circumstances surrounding it may have been a contributing factor.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/Product/squeaky-bean-r2e-pastrami-style-90g

I'm gradually getting hooked on these vegan pastrami slices. They go great in a sandwich with sauerkraut and hellman's vegan mayo.

SpiderChrist

Had a Papa John's vegan pizza. Made with vegan "sheese". Dreadful allergic reaction, turns out it's made with coconut oil. Fucking hell. Seems like the decent vegan cheeses either contain coconut or cashew, neither of which will do me any good. Back to a cheeseless existence.

The Mollusk

That sheeze stuff tastes good but the tacky texture is what lets it down. Also if it makes your throat swell up and suffocate you that's probably not great either.

AngryGazelle

Tried the Schnitzel from Lidl last night. Pretty darn good and only about two quid for five -- perfect for a nice easy dinner.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: LynnBenfield69 on August 28, 2021, 08:31:00 AM
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/Product/squeaky-bean-r2e-pastrami-style-90g

I'm gradually getting hooked on these vegan pastrami slices. They go great in a sandwich with sauerkraut and hellman's vegan mayo.

These are amazing. Put em in a sarnie with mustard, pickles and a slice of vegan cheese and prepare to be if not blown away, very satisfied indeed.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: AngryGazelle on August 28, 2021, 09:40:20 AM
Tried the Schnitzel from Lidl last night. Pretty darn good and only about two quid for five -- perfect for a nice easy dinner.

Mmm, mechanically recovered plant-based meatalike!