Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:37:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nine Perfect Strangers

Started by AngryGazelle, August 28, 2021, 12:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngryGazelle

Anyone given this a go? Started it last night -- an interesting, if not amazing first episode, shot and acted well enough to make me want to watch the second. I've no idea where it's going but kinda hope it just goes batshit, I don't think it's good enough so far to pull-off deep powerful drama and would rather it devolved into beautiful, well-acted pulp.

Jack Shaftoe

Got to ep 4 and (no spoilers) it's beautiful, well-acted pulp all the way so far, really enjoying it. One of those shows where every ten minute me or Mrs carwash says 'this would be shit if it was British, wouldn't it?', because it would.

C_Larence

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on August 29, 2021, 04:28:24 PM
Got to ep 4 and (no spoilers) it's beautiful, well-acted pulp all the way so far, really enjoying it. One of those shows where every ten minute me or Mrs carwash says 'this would be shit if it was British, wouldn't it?', because it would.

That's funny, the exact same thought crossed my mind while I was watching The White Lotus. We really are quite remarkably shit at making good tv!

Jack Shaftoe

I've tried to watch Line of Duty and all I can think is 'this would be fucking ace if it was American, or Danish, but because it's British all I can see is people overacting in cheap suits with shit lighting'

Mr_Simnock

it's a bit crap, might watch it till the end but probably won't

neveragain

I've been enjoying this but (apart from here) all I've read are bad reviews in comparison to the White Lotus. That show aside, the performances are great - particularly Shannon, his wife and daughter, Carnavale, McCarthy and the jittery influencer one - and it's just nice to chuck on. Great visuals too. Oh I didn't mention Kidman, who always lights up the screen but chose to do an accent that seems hard to maintain.

The Welsh one's a bit wooden.

AngryGazelle

Watched all four now and I'm definitely hooke enough to carry on with the whole season. It's quite enjoyable and easy to watch, though I doubt I'll think about it much when I'm done.

olliebean

I found The White Lotus started to wash over me somewhat as it went on. Most of the episodes felt a bit samey, and I thought there was perhaps one feature film's worth of story in it rather than several hours of telly. This is holding my interest better, and none of the characters are so fundamentally unlikeable, and hence difficult to care about, as many of them were in TWL.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: neveragain on August 30, 2021, 07:50:43 PM
I've been enjoying this but (apart from here) all I've read are bad reviews in comparison to the White Lotus. That show aside, the performances are great - particularly Shannon, his wife and daughter, Carnavale, McCarthy and the jittery influencer one - and it's just nice to chuck on. Great visuals too. Oh I didn't mention Kidman, who always lights up the screen but chose to do an accent that seems hard to maintain.

The Welsh one's a bit wooden.

her accent is almost comedically bad and her (surgically stretched) face can just about convey about 2, maybe at a stretch 3, emotions.

Hat FM

watching this but pretty uninterested in it. as someone (neveragain) earlier noted it is being held together by some great performances and not the story.

olliebean

Quote from: Hat FM on August 31, 2021, 03:56:03 PM
watching this but pretty uninterested in it. as someone (neveragain) earlier noted it is being held together by some great performances and not the story.

Much the same as White Lotus in that regard, then.

TrenterPercenter

It gets better but yep it is mainly the great performances.  I would say if you started it is definitely worth sticking with just to get what it is all about in the end.  It's not what I hoped but still pretty good all in all.

Rolf Lundgren

Gave it a chance but after the third episode decided it wasn't worth carrying on with. One of those stories that very obviously came from a book and poorly adapted for television so every character is overwritten.

Can only assume that as producer, there was nobody brave enough to tell Kidman her accent was pony.

TrenterPercenter

Hmmm shame as it picks up after that don't click if you are going give it another go which I would recommend
Spoiler alert
she (Kidman) is basically drugging them with LSD to try and create group halluncinations
[close]

evilcommiedictator

The ending is
Spoiler alert
entirely pointless, what a waste of time, yay! We all lived happily ever after, with our near-death experiences helping us define what we really want.
[close]
At least have a polar bear on a tropical island or something

olliebean

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 27, 2021, 10:27:17 PM
Hmmm shame as it picks up after that don't click if you are going give it another go which I would recommend
Spoiler alert
she (Kidman) is basically drugging them with LSD to try and create group halluncinations
[close]

I mean, if that's all it is then I'm entirely comfortable with my decision to give up on it.