Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:09:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dexter S9

Started by bgmnts, May 24, 2021, 01:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngryGazelle

I have watched the first three episodes and it's not bad, but it's not great either. It feels more like the weaker season of Dexter than the stronger ones.

Harrison is actually the aspect of the show I'm most interested in, which is actually the only thing so far that has been unexpected.

Old Thrashbarg

I'm actually quite enjoying this now. Still far from being a great show, but I've found myself wanting to watch to find out how the main stories progress.

evilcommiedictator

Now the plot thickens, with Harrison
Spoiler alert
having a dark passenger
[close]
and me spending the whole episode yelling that at the screen, and how can Dexter
Spoiler alert
not figure it out the dense dipshit
[close]
We've now also seen the dad of the kid
Spoiler alert
look like he's dropping off another girl for the new serial killer
[close]
so it's a small town, the guy surely we've already seen? He's gotten the order to pretend his son is OK to stop people wandering around and finding things perhaps?

Marv Orange

Miami was hot now he's in the cold, and instead of water he uses fire to dispose of bodies.. the old switcharoo

AngryGazelle

Hooked on this now, episode four was good. If it maintains this level of quality it will be worth being brought back.

evilcommiedictator

Jeepers, that episode 5 huh?

I mean, it seems a little raw to dump all of that on us, from finding out
Spoiler alert
who ski mask guy is, no it wasn't the incredibly rich guy
[close]
but good progression with cop lady going to New York, and having the writers dangle both Trinity and The Bay Harbour Butcher in front of us, as well as
Spoiler alert
Harrison's name and Debra's name
[close]

but how in the everloving shit did
Spoiler alert
Harrsion telling the daughter that his dad has another name
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
cop lady putting that and Debra together and finding Dexter
[close]
in one episode, at least build us up to that? At least let her
Spoiler alert
search for Deb and find Dexter in a photo with her
[close]
and then go down that trail and confirm it with
Spoiler alert
Harrison's story
[close]
for crying out loud?

BeardFaceMan

Yeah she
Spoiler alert
found Dexter's photo way too fast, it's like someone said to her "Jim isn't his real name" and she just put "What is Jim Lindsay's real name?" into Ask Jeeves and the pic of Dexter's obit immediately came up.
[close]
I know she's a cop but that was incredibly rushed, a bit of the ol' cat-and-mouse would have been nice.

Is it just me that thinks Harrison
Spoiler alert
is telling the truth and that he didn't attack that kid and then stab himself?
[close]
That would be a suitably Dexter twist.

Old Thrashbarg

I don't know, it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to find Dexter's name. If she remembered Batista saying "Debra Morgan" was the sister of Harrison's dead father, searching for those two names could well bring up Dexter's obituary.

There seem to be borrowings from other shows: 'Fargo' for the cops in a snowy landscape and The Sopranos for the chase in the woods.

The female characters are really badly written, aside from the implausibility that such attractive women (one with a great deal of power) would be shagging Dexter and his unstable son. The serial killer is a composite of various screen psychopaths, and it's obviously implausible that he would...

Spoiler alert
rely on his thick subordinate to bring Dexter in, rather than doing the job himself
[close]

I also felt that...

Spoiler alert
the son is so unsympathetic that I wanted the psycho to kill him
[close]

BeardFaceMan

Well that was a thoroughly disappointing finale. Everything felt very rushed towards the end of the season but all things considered this season wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. I think it sits comfortably inbetween the good Dexter seasons of 1 to 4 and the shite years of seasons 5 to 8. So there.

Old Thrashbarg

After a slow first couple of episodes I really enjoyed that. It was never especially brilliant, but it was entertaining enough, whilst being written and performed nowhere near as badly as seasons 6-8. And it was actually a proper ending that made some sense and felt like a reasonably satisfying conclusion.

It did feel very rushed towards the end. I think there could easily have been at least half a season spent on Harrison working with Dexter and slowly still coming to the same realisation and conclusion. But overall, a successful revival I think.

You could probably watch season 1 through 4, then this one and not miss too much from the plot. Maybe a quick recap of the deaths of previously major characters to fill in the blanks.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on January 11, 2022, 12:55:59 AMIt did feel very rushed towards the end. I think there could easily have been at least half a season spent on Harrison working with Dexter and slowly still coming to the same realisation and conclusion. But overall, a successful revival I think

Yeah, I agree with this, I actually think they might have needed 12 episodes, or they could have just paced the ten they had more efficiently.

I really did not enjoy the last ten minutes of the finale
Spoiler alert
why did Dexter think having Harrison murder him was the answer? Surely that'll leave the kid even more traumatised! I know it means that Harrison carried out the code and Dexter finally got what he deserved but it didn't feel earned.
[close]

BeardFaceMan

Yeah the stuff in the last few eps felt so rushed, starting from when
Spoiler alert
Dexter's cop gf found his obit pic
[close]
, but the stuff about
Spoiler alert
Harrison admitting he has the dark passenger, finding out his dad is a serial killer and the killing him according to Dexter's own code
[close]
all happened way to quick to be satisfying. They could have done so much more with
Spoiler alert
Batista
[close]
, or
Spoiler alert
Dexter's gf realising she'd been shacked up with a killer
[close]
, so many little plot threads that could have been given more time. A few more eps would definitely have helped flesh things out a bit, or even just doing away with some of the scene setting in the first few eps and got the story going a bit quicker.

evilcommiedictator

None of it made sense,
Spoiler alert
First Rule of The Code is "don't get caught", but what, a prick on the neck of a low level drug dealer and his dead supplier, where Dexter wasn't even known to be near the second, let alone a random note with the pins from the dead son of a newly-found mass murderer is really top evidence. But kill the coach anyway, even though he doesn't fit the code.
[close]

Spoiler alert
I had to look up how many innocent people Dexter has killed, and more than I remembered, but not as egregious as the Coach https://dexter.fandom.com/wiki/Dexter%27s_Kill_List#Kills_Outside_The_Code
[close]

Spoiler alert
What would Batista be able to prove, apart from his friendship with Dexter? Dexter wanting to get away from it all after an attempted suicide sounds perfectly fine, if a bit dodgy to get a new identity
[close]
. Too many coincidences. Sure, he's going to have to move away given the police chief hates him, but maybe not because he's been fine and happy not killing for a while before all this? Just stay out of the cop's way with your son who is enjoying the town?

Harrison's Dark Passenger is now gone and won't come back, excellent /sarcasm
I'm sure in his trip up, given he already tried to stage a self-defense murder and broken arm, was uneventful and non-murdery.

You want a ending better than the other one, sure, but is it good? Nope.

cliggg

I don't think this is the ending of it, it seems like it's set up to continue though whether it happens or not who knows. I think they left it set up for it to be
Spoiler alert
Harrison is now the one who lives by the original code and Dexter will be his conscience/imaginary figure/exposition speaker like Dexter's dad was and like Debra was in this season.
[close]
That's not something I've any interest in watching but that's how it seemed to me.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: cliggg on January 12, 2022, 01:08:18 PMI don't think this is the ending of it, it seems like it's set up to continue though whether it happens or not who knows. I think they left it set up for it to be
Spoiler alert
Harrison is now the one who lives by the original code and Dexter will be his conscience/imaginary figure/exposition speaker like Dexter's dad was and like Debra was in this season.
[close]
That's not something I've any interest in watching but that's how it seemed to me.

You'd hope something like that would happen otherwise Harrison's story would be crap.
Spoiler alert
He thinks something is wrong with him, he tracks down his dad, finds out he has a darkness inside him, kills his serial killer dad and then goes on the run on his own with no money, no supplies, no contacts, nothing
[close]
. They've only (hurriedly) told half of a story there, what you suggested there would make sense as a continuation, especially as they've called the series New Blood.

JaDanketies

scanning this thread, it looks like it picked up around the time we stopped watching it! Thanks for all the spoiler tags folks, I might give it a shot again.

Jennifer Carpenter did my fookin head in. Stop shouting, stop swearing, stop trying to get in his head. It's like she's the personification of anxiety but Dexter never gets anxious. I know this'll sound like body-shaming but fuck it - I get anxiety just by looking at her, too, she looks emaciated (and she looked emaciated 15 years ago too). Like some angry skeleton who only ever appears to shout at you

JaDanketies

I enjoyed it but I didn't buy the end. Dexter is too narcissistic.