Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:18:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GamesMaster Coming Back

Started by Malcy, September 29, 2021, 02:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogbeard

I agree with the comments in here. It was clearly made with a good understanding of what people liked about the original, and how to recapture that in a way that works today. Florence's predilections are known anyway, but just from the show you can tell that all the people involved genuinely care about games. It made me laugh a few times, and I liked how they covered different aspects, from hardcore shooters to casual sitting on the couch with mates type gaming.

Quote from: surreal on October 01, 2021, 02:01:57 PMWill they be crucifying Dominik Diamond on the first episode?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/tv-presenter-backs-out-of-crucifixion-1026992

What the actual fuck. I googled "dominik diamond crufifixion" to check I wasn't hallucinating, and found this Scotsman article.

QuoteAmong those who did go through with the crucifixion was Ruben Enaje, 45, a commercial sign maker, who was nailed to the cross for the 20th time. Mr Enaje said it was his way to thank God for surviving a fall from a building when he was a construction worker.

I meaning fucking hell. Religion can make people do such mental things.

Quote from: Dogbeard on November 26, 2021, 03:59:19 PMfrom hardcore shooters

That bit where the two lasses played call of duty on controllers?

Quote from: Dogbeard on November 26, 2021, 03:59:19 PMAmong those who did go through with the crucifixion was Ruben Enaje, 45, a commercial sign maker, who was nailed to the cross for the 20th time. Mr Enaje said it was his way to thank God for surviving a fall from a building when he was a construction worker.

and the erection? What's that about, Ruben?

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 26, 2021, 03:12:47 PMConsidering how badly wrong they could have gotten this, I'm surprised at just how well it worked.

Yeah, that was my big takeaway as well. It wasn't terrible. I mean I was a hell of a lot more optimistic when I heard Rab was on board, but this could still so easily have fallen on it's face and HARD.

Definitely gonna watch the next one!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Dogbeard on November 26, 2021, 03:59:19 PMWhat the actual fuck. I googled "dominik diamond crufifixion" to check I wasn't hallucinating, and found this Scotsman article.

I meaning fucking hell. Religion can make people do such mental things.
What would he have done if he'd accidentally nailed his hand to something when he was a builder?

AsparagusTrevor

Just watched this, I quite enjoyed it. Who'd have thought that reviving something and not changing everything fun about it would be successful?

In stark contrast to my reaction when it was first announced, I'm enjoying this a whole heck of a lot.

I think it might be the first of all the many, many nostalgia revivals over the last decade or so that has actually worked for me. It undoubtedly helps that, unlike most of those other things, Gamesmaster had remained exclusively in my childhood. It's pointless trying to make me feel nostalgic about Star Wars, since it never went away.

Third and final episode up the noo. It's my bed time so I'll watch it some other time.

I certainly wasn't expecting the Gamesmaster's response when the bloke claimed to have completed every game ever.

As much of a nostalgia fest as this has been, I must admit, I don't remember Big Boy Barry at all.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 10, 2021, 11:18:36 PMAs much of a nostalgia fest as this has been, I must admit, I don't remember Big Boy Barry at all.

It's because he primarily came to fame on Gamesworld on Sky. His first TV appearance was on Gamesmaster, which led to him getting the Gamesworld gig.

It seems Rab originally auditioned to play the Gamesmaster himself: https://youtu.be/umTP8YFn8X4?t=774 (contains swearing).

beanheadmcginty

Loads of people have mentioned how good he was on Consolevania before he got the Gamesmaster gig, but all the Consolevania videos on YouTube have less than 1,000 views. I think he's great, but that doesn't add up? Did he restart the channel or something?

The Guppy

Consolevania wasn't on YouTube originally, in fact I think it predates YouTube by a year or two. I remember downloading the video files from their site. Rab or Ryan (or maybe both) used to post on NTSC-UK and that's where I found out about the show.

MojoJojo

Yeah, consolevania was very early self published content, back when YouTube was mostly pirated movies cut into 10 minute segments. It was good, with the feeling that they were real fans of gaming, which no gaming TV had really had before. But that's not unique now and the low production values stick out.

Malcy