Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:22:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2005 LPs...

Started by mayer, January 14, 2005, 01:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

massive_bereavement

I thought that Roots album was a bit lame at first, but it's growing on me slowly.
Better lyrics but worse beats.

Edan's much delayed second album "Beauty & The Beat" is out on March 29th. It is described as a "vast musical collage that contains many different influences; Hiphop, rock, pop, dusty breaks, hazy loops, luxurious off-kilter samples and curveball tempo changes that are all commingled into one brilliantly cohesive piece of art." I can't wait.

Beagle 2

Quote from: "TraceyQ"The new Electric Six album is fucking awful. Seriously. Dropped in a few weeks I've heard. See you, lads.

Ah shit really? I dreaded as much from the pointless Queen cover. I really liked the first album too, thought there were some cracking tracks on it. Bollocks.

chand

Quote from: "rjd2"
Quote from: "chand"
Quote from: "rjd2"Oh yeah the Roots Manuva album is out this week or next.

31st, I think, which is a week on Monday. The single 'Colossal Insight' is out now though, which I like a whole lot.

Roots Manuva - 'Colossal Insight' video (6.3mb)

Yeah its a fantastic album just got a chance to listen to it a couple of hours ago. What you think of it yourself?

Aye, I think it's great. The predictions of it being his big breakthrough look wide of the mark though; 'Colossal Insight' is probably the most accessible tune and it hasn't blazed the charts. Shame.

monkhouse terror

Quote from: "peet"Eels have a new album out on April 26th titled Blinking Lights And Other Revelations, it's a 33-track double whopper. Here's hoping it's a slight return to the sublime form of Electro-Shock Blues/Daisies Of The Galaxy after their rather more ho-hum recent stuff.

There's a teaser of it on the eels site, and judging from the fucking sublime 'Old Shit/New Shit', it should be a return to form after the relatively ordinary Shootenanny. Although according the info. about the new lp on there, Shootenanny was recorded as a break during the work on Blinking Lights.

And for those Autechre fans (me included) there's news on http://www.warprecords.com/ of their new one and dates of a tour in april. No doubt it's the standard fare of 'crazyness with even more mental sounds!'.

the psyche intangible

I started listening to the Weddoes again not long ago and low and behold they release a new lp. I downloaded it and its fairish. Interstate 5 is a classic and was a single i believe but the rest seems  a bit so-so, maybe it`s a grower! Lack of jingle jangle and noise.

the psyche intangible

I started listening to the Weddoes again not long ago and low and behold they release a new lp. I downloaded it and its fairish. Interstate 5 is a classic and was a single i believe but the rest seems  a bit so-so, maybe it`s a grower! Lack of jingle jangle and noise.

dan dirty ape

I really like the debut Little Barrie album 'We Are Little Barrie'. I bought it today off the back of their Aspects collaboration and the track on the recent DJ Format mix LP, and it's really impressed me after one listen, on the train thinking 'why didn't I form a low-tech basement soul band?'

Lumiere

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"
Quote from: "Regular John"A new Queens of the Stone Age album "Lullabies To Paralyze" on March 21st!

Aye, there are live acoustic versions of tracks The Long Slow Goodbye and I Never Came (featuring Dave Grohl) at this site. It sounds good to me, but then it would.

You might be interested to hear that desert rock legends Yawning Man have a couple of long players out too - Rock Formations and The Birth Of Sol Music. The former will feature new stuff, the latter will be a double CD featuring their older compositions.

There's a little information about the band and the records here (I've seen the same blurb in a few different places, it must be a press release). In case you didn't know Yawning Man feature Alberto Hernandez (QOTSA, Mondo Generator) and Mario Lalli (Desert Sessions, Fatso Jetson), and are supposed to have influenced Brant Bjork.

It'll be good man, like music should be. Those desert folk don't fuck around.

I have a promo copy of the album! It rocks, but the sound is a tad empty. It's not the stereo filling blast of Songs For The Deaf, more like the glitzed up lo-fi tunings of their eponymous debut.

shit as fuck

RE: British Sea Power

The new album 'Open Season' has been leaked onto the internetwork and is now dribbling itself slowly onto my hard-drive.  I'm told it's very good indeed.

Beagle 2

Quote from: "Beagle 2"
Quote from: "TraceyQ"The new Electric Six album is fucking awful. Seriously. Dropped in a few weeks I've heard. See you, lads.

Ah shit really? I dreaded as much from the pointless Queen cover. I really liked the first album too, thought there were some cracking tracks on it. Bollocks.

Well, I actually don't mind it too much on first listen.

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"... Lullabies To Paralyze (QOTSA) ... The Birth Of Sol Music (Yawning Man) ... Rock Formations (Yawning Man) ...

Quote from: "Lumiere"I have a promo copy of the album! It rocks, but the sound is a tad empty. It's not the stereo filling blast of Songs For The Deaf, more like the glitzed up lo-fi tunings of their eponymous debut.

Which? The new QOTSA long player? Where did you get that from? I'm glad to hear that you like it, I have to endlessly explain to my friends that just because Josh Homme writes music for a wider audience than hardcore Kyuss fans, it doesn't mean that it isn't worth listening to. I loved the 'stereo filling blast' of the last album, but I loved the first album too, so it's all good. Queens Of The Stone Age proved long ago that Homme doesn't need Nick Oliveri to make good music ...

Did you catch Hermano's second long player Dare I Say? It's pretty good - John Garcia sounds the best he has in years. The vinyl is out now - limited edition red, gatefold sleeve.

Lumiere

I got a promo edition. In My Head...Or Something from Desert Sessions 9+10 has found its way onto the album, as I predicted way back when.

chand

I learned to my cost the yesterday that Kyuss albums sound really bad on your discman if only your right earphone works. Those guys sure like to pan their guitar parts.

As for 2005 LPs, I'd recommend the new Busdriver album on Big Dada, I love Busdriver anyway but this is great if you like records with some personality in them. The Amon Tobin soundtrack to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is very nice as well, and the new Prefuse 73 too. L.Pierre (Aidan Moffat's) new album is more interesting than his last too, the songs are longer and there's less of them, there seems to be more going on. Oh and 'Play' by a band called Larsen is cracking if you're into a bit of droney post-rock with accordions in. Which I am.

FraggleShock

ARTIST: VENETIAN SNARES  
TITLE: ROSSZ CSILLAG ALLAT SZÜLETETT  
FORMAT: 2LP/CD
RELEASE DATE: [14.03.05]

Managed to get hold of a promo of this today and it is phenomenal if you like your experimental dance music (ala Aphex-esque) this will be right up your street. Their prior albums have been of a high standard but this really sets the mark i fell for the continuation of IDM in 2005...The talent on show in some of the tracks is inspiring to say the least.

Listen to the samples over on PlanetMu.com

bill hicks

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"
Quote from: "Gamma Ray"... Lullabies To Paralyze (QOTSA) ... The Birth Of Sol Music (Yawning Man) ... Rock Formations (Yawning Man) ...

Quote from: "Lumiere"I have a promo copy of the album! It rocks, but the sound is a tad empty. It's not the stereo filling blast of Songs For The Deaf, more like the glitzed up lo-fi tunings of their eponymous debut.

Which? The new QOTSA long player? Where did you get that from? I'm glad to hear that you like it, I have to endlessly explain to my friends that just because Josh Homme writes music for a wider audience than hardcore Kyuss fans, it doesn't mean that it isn't worth listening to. I loved the 'stereo filling blast' of the last album, but I loved the first album too, so it's all good. Queens Of The Stone Age proved long ago that Homme doesn't need Nick Oliveri to make good music ...

Did you catch Hermano's second long player Dare I Say? It's pretty good - John Garcia sounds the best he has in years. The vinyl is out now - limited edition red, gatefold sleeve.

I listened to the advance too and was very disappointed indeed. Most of it just seemed to be an obvious rehashing of 'Songs...' but without the energy and spark of that record. I suppose it may be something to do with Oliveri fucking off...that punk rock spine in the band just seems missing and it came across as way too lifeless and obvious for my liking.  Little Sister is okay, everything before then is pretty uninspired and there's only about four or five really good tracks there. The Blood is Love is amazingly good (despite the riffs beng total rip offs of Isis Oceanic record). It seems way too divided between fucked up little pop songs and Kyussy epics, but without the focus. Someone's In The Wolf is great (loose sounding but not self indulgent), but You've Got a Killer Scene... and Skin on Skin (both going for the Krautrock vote) are just dirgey wastes of time. Dull and empty.

Hopefully the press realise this and Homme realises that he NEEDS Oliveri back in the band or he should phone up Garcia and chat about that sort of offer to get Kyuss back together he mentioned a few months ago.

EDIT: I fucking hate most of the Desert Sessions records (dull jam sessions....Polly Harvey and Millionaire excepted) and this feels much more like those than a typical Queens record. Homme and mates playing dull music)

rjd2

Quote from: "chand"
As for 2005 LPs, I'd recommend the new Busdriver album on Big Dada, I love Busdriver anyway but this is great if you like records with some personality in them. The Amon Tobin soundtrack to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is very nice as well, and the new Prefuse 73 too. L.Pierre (Aidan Moffat's) new album is more interesting than his last too, the songs are longer and there's less of them, there seems to be more going on. .

You forgot the Atmosphere album which I just heard and yes it is great.
Fiddys new album a contender for the worse album of the last ten years just awful.

chand

I haven't heard that Atmosphere record, it's a compilation of old stuff innit? 'Seven's Travels' was cracking though.

On a similar contemporary hip-hop tip, former Antipop Consortium members High Priest and M Sayyid have just released a new album as Airborn Audio. It's called 'Good Fortune' and is out on Ninja Tune. It's still very much in the APC style, which is always a good thing, lots of excellent rhymes and strange bleeping beats.

Paaaaul

I love Queens Of The Stone Age, but I'm with bill hicks on this one.
Lullabies To Paralyse is a really weak album. It commits the cardinal sin of just being plain dull. I like Little Sister but not much else, and even that would have been a weak track on either of their last two albums.

The Plaque Goblin

'Living in Blue' by The Blackouts (8th March on Lucid)

Exactly the kind of big, bright guitar pop you've heard so many times before but is always worthwhile when it's done really well like it is here:

http://www.blackoutstheband.com/audio.html

Rubbish Monkey

here are the ones i am looking forward to :-
21 march
Do Me Bad Things
April 11
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
April 18
Turbonegro - Bayblon Forever (hello splattermac)
June 6
Foo Fighters

imitationleather

Do Me Bad Things?! Man alive, I saw them on New Years Eve and couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. Are they one of those hilarious joke bands or something?

rjd2

I also am very let down by the QOTA album. It lacks the urgency and all out quality of previous work shame really.

splattermac

Quote from: "FraggleShock"(picture)

ARTIST: VENETIAN SNARES  
TITLE: ROSSZ CSILLAG ALLAT SZÜLETETT  
FORMAT: 2LP/CD
RELEASE DATE: [14.03.05]

Managed to get hold of a promo of this today and it is phenomenal if you like your experimental dance music (ala Aphex-esque) this will be right up your street. Their prior albums have been of a high standard but this really sets the mark i fell for the continuation of IDM in 2005...The talent on show in some of the tracks is inspiring to say the least.

Listen to the samples over on PlanetMu.com

it's just appeared on vpro for a listen, streaming flash format as per usual

http://tinyurl.com/3kb6b

hmm, awful

chand

Quote from: "imitationleather"Do Me Bad Things?! Man alive, I saw them on New Years Eve and couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. Are they one of those hilarious joke bands or something?

They're from the record label that brought you The Darkness and Goldie Lookin' Chain, so yes.

I got spam months ago from some music site which declared them to be the Next Big Thing, and it directed me to a terrible mp3 of some song of theirs where they'd crammed about 12 tunes into one song, all of which were shit. It was as if they'd been designed to give reviewers the 'OMG they're so inventive!' angle.

MrManson

Quote from: "chand"I haven't heard that Atmosphere record, it's a compilation of old stuff innit? 'Seven's Travels' was cracking though.

Old stuff from where? God Loves Ugly? Before that? I'd be interested in a new (well, unheard stuff) from them...

Incedentally, I'm listening to Murs & Slug's Felt EP (Christina Ricci). It's decent.

Currently downloading the new QOTSA album. The new Eels and Roots album haven't left much of an impression on me, same with Fifty Cent.

rjd2

Quote from: "MrManson"

Currently downloading the new QOTSA album. The new Eels and Roots album haven't left much of an impression on me, same with Fifty Cent.

I really would not bother with that Fiddy album it is utterly utterly utterly garbage. To think that it will probably be the biggest selling rap album of the year is shocking.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: "bill hicks"
Homme and mates playing dull music.

Now that I've listened to the album more, I have to say you're spot on. Like Desert Sessions, there are brief moments of inspiration here and there, but it's largely dull. Rated R and Songs For The Deaf were utterly engrossing, compelling records, but this one just feels like their eponymous debut - sludgy, derivative and uneventful.

EDIT: On the other hand, Frances The Mute is one of the best albums I've heard in more than 5 years.

no_offenc

I do like that new Snares thing.  Mmmm strings.

MrManson

Quote from: "rjd2"
Quote from: "MrManson"

I really would not bother with that Fiddy album it is utterly utterly utterly garbage. To think that it will probably be the biggest selling rap album of the year is shocking.

Yah, first listen left me cold. Don't think I'll give it much more of a listen.

On the other hand, I downloaded some Murs stuff (Varsity Blues, The Felt EP and more) and it's facking grand!

Norfolk'n'clue

Quote from: "Benway"Venetian Snares:   ROSSZ CSILLAG ALATT SZÜLETETT (March), plus another LP out later in the year

http://www.planet-mu.com/ziq111.html

You got his last album? On searchlight 'Winnepeg is a Frozen Shithole'. One of the hardest things I've ever heard...

the new one is a complete departure, and another new direction for him - classical/drum and bass isn't it? As far as I can gather from the samples on Mu

If you like Snares, try checking out the new Knifehandchop album, 'How I left you'. Its cracking.