Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

February 26, 2024, 08:01:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Elon Musk Hæte-2: Electric Poogaloo

Started by touchingcloth, January 13, 2023, 04:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

The old Musk thread is at 100 pages now, so here's a new one to hate on him, place bets on how long it will be before his $300billion fortunes falls down to $0.

Blumf

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jan/13/tesla-prices-us-europe-slowing-demand-elon-musk
QuoteTesla has cut the prices of its cars in the US and Europe by up to a fifth as it contends with slowing demand and increased competition.

The price of the cheapest Model 3 saloon car, the rear-wheel drive version, dropped by £5,500 to £42,990. The cheapest Model Y crossover dropped to £44,990, although the biggest cut was applied to the most expensive Performance version, which dropped by £8,000 to £59,990.

In the US the entry-level version of its Model Y now costs $52,990 (£43,526), down from $65,990 – a 20% drop that will mean the vehicle qualifies for US tax credits. The Model 3 dropped to $43,990, a $3,000 reduction.

Dan Ives, an analyst at US investment bank Wedbush, said that the US and European price cuts were "eye-popping" and that investors would probably respond negatively. He added that an "EV price war" between manufacturers was now under way.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on January 13, 2023, 03:37:40 PMTwitter had a few third party clients, particularly on mobile, that allowed users to get rid of the stuff that the official client tended to add to make for a "better" user experience.

Since last night, almost all of them can't connect to the user's account, making them totally unusable.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/13/23553161/third-party-twitter-clients-apps-outage-twitterific-tweetbot

It hasn't been determined if it's a bug or an unannounced policy change. But pissing off the savviest segment of your users isn't exactly the best way to keep them attached.
As has been proved repeatedly, he could do pretty much anything and those "savvy" users would carry on using it.

Gurke and Hare

In fairness to the cunt, Twitter always hated third party clients long before he took over and were often doing shit to fuck them up. Admittedly never this drastically but still.

Paul Calf

Ah, but they were mere mortals who only cared about advertising revenue. Musk is a galaxy-brain geniused philanthropise messiah who '[doesn't] care about economics' and only wants free speech for the world.

It's pretty amusing to watch him panic like this. He's not even a competent grasping capitalist cunt.

Blumf

Applying Hanlon's razor, it could just as easily be a result of that dumbass Silicon Valley maxim "Move Fast and Break Things".

Dex Sawash

Wonder if Tesla shits the bed, will the cars all get bricked. Some idiotcorp will buy the toiletings denying me the schadenfreude

Sebastian Cobb

they've seemingly removed the latest tweets tab so you have to have the bollocks algorithm decide what it shows you now.

Ferris

Proactive

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2023, 12:44:48 PMthey've seemingly removed the latest tweets tab so you have to have the bollocks algorithm decide what it shows you now.

I'm getting 89% "you might like" tweets, none of which I've been interested in yet. Why do they have to muck around with things.

gabrielconroy

To whom it may concern,

please subscribe me to this thread, for it is of great interest to me. I fervently wish for the public and total downfall of Mr Musk. I hope you agree that it would be most amusing and perhaps would bring a smile to the faces of many of the disadvantaged around the world (and - dare we say it? - further afield too).

Yours hopefully,
gabrielconroy

Video Game Fan 2000

still agog at chess not having a tech tree

Blumf

Quote from: Proactive on January 14, 2023, 05:05:42 PMI'm getting 89% "you might like" tweets, none of which I've been interested in yet. Why do they have to muck around with things.

Is this on the app? Can you swipe left or right?

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: Blumf on January 13, 2023, 04:55:42 PMhttps://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jan/13/tesla-prices-us-europe-slowing-demand-elon-musk

Wondering whether the Europe price cuts is about the fact that in several countries offering EV subsidies the entire Tesla range didn't qualify by being too expensive.

dissolute ocelot

With electricity price rises, petrol prices falling, and lots of places now charging for formerly-free electric car charging, it's definitely less economical to get one than it was. And there seem to be not only reductions in state subsidies (although price cuts help), but also worries that governments are going to start seriously taxing electric cars. It'll be interesting to see if governments go through with plans to ban ICE cars in 2030 or whenever, but that's probably too late to save Tesla.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 14, 2023, 11:38:13 PMWith electricity price rises, petrol prices falling, and lots of places now charging for formerly-free electric car charging, it's definitely less economical to get one than it was. And there seem to be not only reductions in state subsidies (although price cuts help), but also worries that governments are going to start seriously taxing electric cars. It'll be interesting to see if governments go through with plans to ban ICE cars in 2030 or whenever, but that's probably too late to save Tesla.

Don't expect it to make sense.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 14, 2023, 11:38:13 PMbut also worries that governments are going to start seriously taxing electric cars. It'll be interesting to see if governments go through with plans to ban ICE cars in 2030 or whenever, but that's probably too late to save Tesla.
This is an underreported issue. A lot of governments use  taxes on petrol, lpg etc for the upkeep of roads, infrastructure and other things. Now governments are realising that they'll need to stop giving tax breaks for EV and try and recoup tax losses some other way. This could be increased taxes and fees for at point of purchase, roadworthy or registration etc. Either way the cost benefits probably won't last.

Blumf

May well end up with GPS tracking for a road use tax (and lots of lovely, privacy intruding data to slurp)

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Ian Drunken Smurf on January 14, 2023, 08:09:11 PMWondering whether the Europe price cuts is about the fact that in several countries offering EV subsidies the entire Tesla range didn't qualify by being too expensive.

It's been reported in that the US prices have dropped for this reason so I think your on the money.

touchingcloth

With EVs becoming more commonplace and government subsidies being reduced and rolled back because of that, how screwed are Tesla? As I understand it, the hype has been good for their share price while subsidies have been good for their cash flow, so if they stop coming in does that make it tricky for them to keep the lights on?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 15, 2023, 06:36:15 PMWith EVs becoming more commonplace and government subsidies being reduced and rolled back because of that, how screwed are Tesla? As I understand it, the hype has been good for their share price while subsidies have been good for their cash flow, so if they stop coming in does that make it tricky for them to keep the lights on?

Dunno, but another problem might be that they made more money in crypto in than cars when they had production issues these were their more profitable quarters.

touchingcloth

It's just a Ponzi scheme with incidental cars involved, right? Like the cars serve no real purpose other than distracting attention from the Ponzi stuff (and the secondary purpose of roasting decapitated millionaires).

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 15, 2023, 06:36:15 PMWith EVs becoming more commonplace and government subsidies being reduced and rolled back because of that, how screwed are Tesla? As I understand it, the hype has been good for their share price while subsidies have been good for their cash flow, so if they stop coming in does that make it tricky for them to keep the lights on?

if that was the case how would any other ev car maker fair? and since a lot of the big car companies are heading down this road full throttle then that would mean issues for the entire car industry

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2023, 12:44:48 PMthey've seemingly removed the latest tweets tab so you have to have the bollocks algorithm decide what it shows you now.

Still have it on my Android app, but who knows for how long?

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 15, 2023, 06:52:50 PMif that was the case how would any other ev car maker fair? and since a lot of the big car companies are heading down this road full throttle then that would mean issues for the entire car industry
Well the thing is Tesla was conceived with taking the whole gamut of subsidies, offset credits, grants etc into account. The other manufacturers just took what they could get while trying to do the fossil fuel thing. In short they're used to getting minimal government help when they're making petrol and diesel cars so they'll be used to it once it stops for EVs.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 15, 2023, 08:27:13 PMWell the thing is Tesla was conceived with taking the whole gamut of subsidies, offset credits, grants etc into account. The other manufacturers just took what they could get. In short they're used to getting minimal government help when they're making petrol and diesel cars so they'll be used to it once it stops for EVs.

citation needed, plus I can't think of a car company that hasn't had help one way or another from governments to keep going or invest in a particular country

Urinal Cake

This is from memory off the TrueAnon, Sam Seder podcasts and various articles they pointed to. Tesla really exploited the well-meaning but poorly constructed 'green policies' California created to really get Tesla off the road.

While I don't doubt other manufacturers exploit government, in recent history Telsa has been the best at it.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 15, 2023, 08:29:56 PMcitation needed, plus I can't think of a car company that hasn't had help one way or another from governments to keep going or invest in a particular country

They do lots of shady stuff that "normal" car companies don't. Their IPO came when their only product was the definitely not mass market Roadster, and their business model with Elon at the helm has involved a lot of crypto-style pumping, which given that they're a publicly traded company arguably constitutes securities fraud, which has got him into trouble numerous times with the SEC. Some of the hyping has involved product demonstrations where he's brought out non-Teslas with a Tesla body glued on the top, all in aid of cosying up to regulators and investors and securing they get deposits and re-sellable tax credits (like what @Urinal Cake alludes to).

On the topic of customer deposits, there's lots of evidence that they have dipped into these to fund their cash needs rather than product development, e.g. https://seekingalpha.com/article/4133891-teslas-use-of-customer-deposits-to-support-operational-burn-bodes-ill-for-future

Tl;dr: they're different from the other car manufacturers because they're run like a dodgy Kickstarter.