Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

February 26, 2024, 09:37:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Elon Musk Hæte-2: Electric Poogaloo

Started by touchingcloth, January 13, 2023, 04:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 17, 2023, 04:50:43 PMSurely there must be a North American equivalent of NCAP (paging @Dex Sawash). Obviously a lot of manufacturers just merge the various international standards together and work to that so their cars can be shipped anywhere, but it would be very funny if big-brained Musk built a car that's too unsafe to be shipped internationally, putting his truck in the same category as a fucking Lada (FWIW I'd much rather have a Cossack than this piece of shit).

There are loads of hits if you google for "cybertruck, legal, Europe", and most of it reckons it won't be because: the bonnet is too high, and would hit pedestrians in the worst places possible; the skin is too hard, so it will hit them particularly hard and not give them a fighting chance with a crumple zone; the skin is so hard, in fact, that it might bounce the car enough during crashes that even airbags won't protect the occupants very well.

touchingcloth

Isn't the main problem with stainless steel that it just looks a bit naff? I've never opened my cutler drawer and thought "wow! Look at the glittering opulence!"

It's a cheap, boring metal, the only redeeming side of which seems to be that you at least don't have to put much effort into keeping it look exactly as lame as it did on the day you bought it forever.

Presumably this is the same reason as why the only person who has ever chosen to have a wedding ring made of the stuff is Jarvis Cocker.

Blumf

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 17, 2023, 04:39:06 PMHow would that affect the crumple zones, if at all? How protected would the occupants of one of these things be in a crash?

IIRC, being categorised as an SUV, trucks don't have to pass the same safety standards as normal cars. One of the reasons US car makers prefer them to regular cars.

The other big reason being they don't have to pass the same efficiency and pollution standards as cars. Not a major consideration with EVs, but still explains why the US market is flooded with SUVs.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mr Banlon on November 17, 2023, 05:00:02 PMBike frames are usually chromoly steel or high-tensile steel. Aluminium frames are lighter, but will eventually suffer from metal fatigue. (never buy an old aluminium frame bike, it will snap at some point) I don't think I've seen many stainless frames.

I wasn't referring to stainless steel specifically there, but thinking about bike materials I did wonder if Musk had been tempted to make a car out of carbon fibre and if anyone at Tesla had to scream "NOOOOOOO"?

Would be funny if the Cybertruck was made of fibreglass and resembled a Robin Reliant.

Blue Jam

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 17, 2023, 05:04:46 PMIsn't the main problem with stainless steel that it just looks a bit naff? I've never opened my cutler drawer and thought "wow! Look at the glittering opulence!"

Stainless steel is used for cutlery because it's a very unreactive metal which doesn't taste of anything. This is why you don't see copper or brass cutlery because those materials have a distinctive taste and strong smell which clashes with most flavours. Copper is however used in barware for certain drinks (the Moscow Mule and some beers) because there are exceptions where it complements some flavours.

Gold is another inert metal which tastes of nothing, which is why cutlery can be gold-plated with no effect on the taste of food. This is also why adding gold leaf to food does nothing but make it look different and one reason why Salt Bae's gold leaf-wrapped burgers are an expensive joke.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 17, 2023, 05:17:32 PMStainless steel is used for cutlery because it's a very unreactive metal which doesn't taste of anything. This is why you don't see copper or brass cutlery because those materials have a distinctive taste which clashes with most flavours. Copper is however used in barware for certain drinks (the Moscow Mule and some beers) because there are exceptions where it complements some flavours.

Gold is another inert metal which tastes of nothing, which is why cutlery can be gold-plated with no effect on the taste of food. This is also why adding gold leaf to food does nothing but make it look different and one reason why Salt Bae's gold leaf-wrapped burgers are an expensive joke.

Could they make cutlery out of iron for nutritional reasons? Someone I know with slight iron deficiency has an iron float they can throw in pans when making stews and stuff so it can impart it, presumably it doesn't ruin the flavour.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 17, 2023, 05:20:53 PMCould they make cutlery out of iron for nutritional reasons? Someone I know with slight iron deficiency has an iron float they can throw in pans when making stews and stuff so it can impart it, presumably it doesn't ruin the flavour.

I don't want to 'season' my knife and forks

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 17, 2023, 05:08:30 PMI wasn't referring to stainless steel specifically there, but thinking about bike materials I did wonder if Musk had been tempted to make a car out of carbon fibre and if anyone at Tesla had to scream "NOOOOOOO"?

Would be funny if the Cybertruck was made of fibreglass and resembled a Robin Reliant.

My mate gave me a carbonfibre framed bike. It's worryingly light.
I don't trust it.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 17, 2023, 05:20:53 PMCould they make cutlery out of iron for nutritional reasons? Someone I know with slight iron deficiency has an iron float they can throw in pans when making stews and stuff so it can impart it, presumably it doesn't ruin the flavour.

Cast-iron cookware exists and doesn't affect flavour!

I guess pure iron just isn't a great material for cutlery because it's too soft and it rusts, though presumably you do get a few flavourless ions from stainless steel.

EDIT: Here, have a nice review:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8266402/

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mr Banlon on November 17, 2023, 05:25:20 PMMy mate gave me a carbonfibre framed bike. It's worryingly light.
I don't trust it.

Not a great material for submersibles either.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 17, 2023, 05:17:32 PMStainless steel is used for cutlery because it's a very unreactive metal which doesn't taste of anything. This is why you don't see copper or brass cutlery because those materials have a distinctive taste which clashes with most flavours. Copper is however used in barware for certain drinks (the Moscow Mule and some beers) because there are exceptions where it complements some flavours.

Yeah, I get all of that. Stainless is used for cutlery because it's the cheapest metal that does all that stuff. Most people can't be arsed with the upkeep of other metals, and will maybe have a carbon steel knife if they're chefy, or actual silver for special occasions.

None of that applies with a car, which doesn't need to be cheap and cheerful in the way that cutlery does. So why make it for something as bland and dull as stainless steel when you don't have to? Even if it were a workable metal, I don't think I'd choose it for a car over paint because it's just so very drab. Same reason why no manufacturers offer their car in Stainless Sunrise colourways.

Blue Jam

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 17, 2023, 05:27:13 PMNone of that applies with a car, which doesn't need to be cheap and cheerful in the way that cutlery does. So why make it for something as bland and dull as stainless steel when you don't have to?

I think you know the answer to this one...

I've been enjoying that Tech Won't Save Us podcast series and I noted the mention of Musk's Marvel cameo and how he seems quite keen on Iron Man/Tony Stark and just wondered "What Would Tony Stark Drive*?", or if he thought a car made of STEEL just sounded manly and badass.

*WWTSD

Milo

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 17, 2023, 05:25:59 PMCast-iron cookware exists and doesn't affect flavour!

I think it's generally 'seasoned' by polymerised cooking oil so the food doesn't come into direct contact with the iron itself.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 17, 2023, 05:35:51 PMI think you know the answer to this one...

I've been enjoying that Tech Won't Save Us podcast series and I noted the mention of Musk's Marvel cameo and how he seems quite keen on Iron Man/Tony Stark and just wondered "What Would Tony Stark Drive*?", or if he thought a car made of STEEL just sounded manly and badass.

*WWTSD

I actually don't know the answer to it. I could totally see him making a car out of batshit material: let's make a car out of titanium! Let's make a car out of <thing the Falcon rocket is made out of>! (or, like you say) Let's make a car out of Titan-grade carbon fibre!

It's not the nonstandard and unworkable material which surprises me, it's the specific choice of stainless steel. Hell, I have a friend who works in some kind of graphene science, and it sounds like most of his funding comes from advising people on how they can build graphene into bicycle frames (while leaving out the fact that it will have about the same effect as stirring in some coffee granules to the mix), and that seems like the daft material that would appeal to a fan of Ready Player One or whatever it is he's into at the moment. Even a car made of leather would make more sense.

But you are correct in the sense that not knowing what sort of idea I expect Musk to come up with next is what I expect.

There are quite a few more Musk/Tesla/SpaceX episode in the archive of that show that I've dug out, and they're all worth a listen as well as the series, I'd say.

Proactive

We've recently had a new kitchen and within about 2 hours our stainless steel sink was, in fact, stained with water, which as a layman is what I believe rain is chiefly comprised of. How's that going to work then?

Milo

Water stains are only really a thing in hard water areas. Rain water is intrinsically soft.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 17, 2023, 05:50:57 PMI actually don't know the answer to it. I could totally see him making a car out of batshit material: let's make a car out of titanium! Let's make a car out of <thing the Falcon rocket is made out of>! (or, like you say) Let's make a car out of Titan-grade carbon fibre!

It's not the nonstandard and unworkable material which surprises me, it's the specific choice of stainless steel. Hell, I have a friend who works in some kind of graphene science, and it sounds like most of his funding comes from advising people on how they can build graphene into bicycle frames (while leaving out the fact that it will have about the same effect as stirring in some coffee granules to the mix), and that seems like the daft material that would appeal to a fan of Ready Player One or whatever it is he's into at the moment. Even a car made of leather would make more sense.
sport bicycle people are quite mad. But as some one who is sorta one it makes sense. After you've improved everything else they think there must be some way we can do something to the frame. And it's to be competitive.

This truck is for nerds on the internet. Also the quote about precision is on the path to perfection or whatever, isn't Tesla renown for having some of the worst panel gaps in history.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Proactive on November 17, 2023, 08:26:45 PMWe've recently had a new kitchen and within about 2 hours our stainless steel sink was, in fact, stained with water, which as a layman is what I believe rain is chiefly comprised of. How's that going to work then?

Have you thought about putting a roof on the kitchen?

Sebastian Cobb

His more overt white supremacist comments have now lost him IBM, Apple, Lionsgate and the European Commission as advertisers.

Pretty ironic the IBM one given they literally lesed systems to the Nazis that allowed them to do a holocaust more efficiently.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Urinal Cake on November 17, 2023, 08:41:23 PMsport bicycle people are quite mad Middle aged men have more money than sense. But as some one who is sorta one it makes sense. After you've improved everything else they think there must be some way we can do something to the frame. And it's to be competitive.

I used to have a manager that had some insanely expensive road bike, "same as Lance Armstrong rides", and the flagship Paul Reed Smith guitar.

He was pudgy and literally a novice musician, but "didn't want to be limited by" his equipment.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah if you could turn tapping your fingers on a desk into a legitimate pastime some mugs would hand over lots of money for special titanium thimbles and special creams.

Urinal Cake

The main aim for a bike frame is to be as light as possible but as strong\stiff as possible hence all this 'materials research'. Doesn't make sense for a truck.

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 17, 2023, 08:45:51 PMI used to have a manager that had some insanely expensive road bike, "same as Lance Armstrong rides", and the flagship Paul Reed Smith guitar.

He was pudgy and literally a novice musician, but "didn't want to be limited by" his equipment.
For road bikes sure but even teens etc who do bmx or some form of MTB get really particular with their equipment. Though yeah it's definitely a middle class thing. Also for sports carbon fibre is the standard these days though aluminium is still popular since it's cheaper. Then you have the 'steel is real' people but even they are dying out since you can't  (easily, aesthetically) fix disc brakes to old Colnago frames or get someone skilled enough to fix your frame without unsightly welds. The there's the titanium people but usually that's a custom job for a 'bike is for life' people.

touchingcloth

I used to have a Reynolds 631 fixie, but I'm better than these pricks. Disc brakes? What's wrong with nature's brakes, the legs?

(Not sure it was 631, actually. Some 3 digit cromo thing. Make a Tesla out of that, dad.)

Sebastian Cobb

Think my Bianchi might be Reynolds 'gas pipe'

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 17, 2023, 08:47:26 PMYeah if you could turn tapping your fingers on a desk into a legitimate pastime some mugs would hand over lots of money for special titanium thimbles and special creams.

It might be time to break out my idea for audiophile furniture polish and room conditioner.

Proactive

Quote from: Milo on November 17, 2023, 08:29:40 PMWater stains are only really a thing in hard water areas. Rain water is intrinsically soft.
Ah fair enough, it is hard as fuck round our way to be fair.

Proactive

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 17, 2023, 08:42:30 PMHave you thought about putting a roof on the kitchen?

It was a tough choice but we only had enough money for one or the other.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Agreeing with the antisemitic tweet was the straw that broke the camel's back, as Apple, which is the largest advertiser on Twitter and had remained until now supportive of "X"'s new direktion, for some reason, has decided to "pause" all advertising there.

https://www.axios.com/2023/11/17/companies-pulling-x-twitter-ads-apple-disney-ibm

Beloved of Jo

Pausing makes it sound like they'll just resume once again later, pretending nothing ever happened.

Then Elon ramps things up again and/or ads appear right next to Crossburner1488's posts and the cycle starts again.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 17, 2023, 04:50:43 PMSurely there must be a North American equivalent of NCAP (paging @Dex Sawash).

Realized I knew fuck all about how vehicle safety is managed, looked at the NHTSA website on my phone and ran  off the road and hit some pedestrians