Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

February 27, 2024, 07:38:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frasier 2: Tossed Plonkers and Scrambled Horses

Started by JamesTC, January 13, 2023, 07:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

I liked it well enough. Seeing Rodney getting such a great opportunity like this makes me happy.

The lady with the baby has got 'written out for season two' vibes.

touchingcloth

Hated this, and bailed after the first episode. The whole dynamic of Frasier is him being a preposterous snob in cahoots and contention with Lilith/Niles against the regulars/Martin, and there was just none of that in this.

One weird thing (I haven't read the thread so apologies if it's been mentioned already), neither Bebe Neuwirth nor David Hyde Pierce were mentioned in the main cast for this, so I looked at their wikis and they're both currently starring in a show where Sarah Lancashire plays Julia Child.

George White

Yes, but looking more like Lancashire could be starring in the BETTY DRIVER STORY.

neveragain

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 14, 2023, 05:33:33 PMHated this, and bailed after the first episode.

Watch the second (if you give enough of a shit to do so). It takes a while to bed in, and it's a much more accomplished ep.

DrumsAndWires

i don't get why they've made this? it has a terrible cast and the original was perfect??

idunnosomename

same reason we got those new Futurama episodes. streaming services want new content you recognise

BritishHobo

First episode definitely felt rough, with all the exposition - "Ah, Frasier, this must be the son of your brother Niles, and his wife Daphne!" - but I'm going to stick with it a while, hoping it will grow. We've not seen Alan Cornwall and the Harvard situation be properly utilised yet, and I think there is good scope in the relationship with David.

Niles's (and his wife Daphne's) son does feel like a mistake though. No disrespect to the actor, but the scripts in the first two episode treat him as totally disconnected to everything else that's going on. He has had no impact on anything, and nobody really even seems to notice that he's there. He's just been crowbarred in out of, I assume, a terror that people will switch off without some sliver of Niles's presence. But what the original Frasier did so well in inventing Niles was it created something totally new in the dynamic that didn't exist in Cheers. It seems at the moment to be a misstep to just try and repeat that character.

[Niles's son walks on, does a bit of sub-Niles shtick, nobody reacts, Niles's son walks off again]

itf

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 14, 2023, 10:03:11 PMsame reason we got those new Futurama episodes. streaming services want new content you recognise

This isn't even in the same ballpark as Futurama terribleness wise though. It seems competent enough and if the characters bed in I think this one might turn out to be OK. Agree with the above post on Niles's son, very one dimensional and pointless so far.

popcorn

I thought this was surprisingly competent but also very weird. Grammer's performance is still fantastic and he's still Frasier. The script had some good lines and the plots used the same formula of farce and sentimentalism. The problem is that the lines are all delivered by people who aren't Niles.

dirkgonnadirk

lol wtf, this was MUCH better than I expected.

Icehaven

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 14, 2023, 05:33:33 PMHated this, and bailed after the first episode. The whole dynamic of Frasier is him being a preposterous snob in cahoots and contention with Lilith/Niles against the regulars/Martin, and there was just none of that in this.

One weird thing (I haven't read the thread so apologies if it's been mentioned already), neither Bebe Neuwirth nor David Hyde Pierce were mentioned in the main cast for this, so I looked at their wikis and they're both currently starring in a show where Sarah Lancashire plays Julia Child.

I thought I read that Bebe Neuwirth is going to turn up in the new Frasiers? Not in the first two eps though seemingly.

Schnapple

I thought the second episode was marginally better than the first, but I'm afraid I'm just sticking with this for Grammer's still magnificent performance. The character of Frasier Crane is fundamentally great, but the only big, distintly Frasieresque laugh I got in either was his delivery of, "Are they scheduling the fires in advance, now?"

It is well cast, and the dialogue is mainly fine, so I'm hoping it'll pick up. Both episodes attempted an escalation into the sort of farce that the OG series really mastered, but that's difficult to pull off early doors, without having such well-established characters to fling around the set. The original dynamics of Frasier was sitcom perfection, in my view.

popcorn

Quote from: Schnapple on October 16, 2023, 11:22:12 AMIt is well cast, and the dialogue is mainly fine, so I'm hoping it'll pick up. Both episodes attempted an escalation into the sort of farce that the OG series really mastered, but that's difficult to pull off early doors, without having such well-established characters to fling around the set. The original dynamics of Frasier was sitcom perfection, in my view.

I was watching more old Frasier clips and this one really is amazing, classic, solid-gold sitcom writing:

QuoteLILITH: There'll be a change in our relationship.
FRASIER: Would we sleep together?
LILITH: I thought we'd freeze your sperm.
FRASIER: Is that a yes or a no?

... But what it makes it so funny is because of who Lilith is, and our knowledge of her as a character. So many of the best lines in Frasier are like that — they're based on feeling "Oh, that is SO Niles!!" So the new cast will have to work quite hard to get to the same level of familiarity and endear themselves to us before the dialog starts feeling effective in the same way.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Icehaven on October 16, 2023, 11:20:47 AMI thought I read that Bebe Neuwirth is going to turn up in the new Frasiers? Not in the first two eps though seemingly.

Same. My original post was going to say that neither she nor DHP were in it, but I changed that to being specifically the "main cast" before posting. That's the same as her position in Cheers and OG Frasier, really.

no_offenc

I enjoyed it. Read that it finds its feet about 4-5 eps in. Enjoying that it sticks to the same format (title cards, farce, silent vignettes at the end etc) as it's quite comforting to my stupid broke brain.

Oosp

REALLY enjoying it. Quite relieved. I wasn't confident after watching the trailer, but that's the trailer's fault. I'm expecting this to turn into something really good.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 14, 2023, 05:33:33 PMHated this, and bailed after the first episode. The whole dynamic of Frasier is him being a preposterous snob in cahoots and contention with Lilith/Niles against the regulars/Martin, and there was just none of that in this.

I think part of the show is him wanting to change, after he's reminded of his early relationship with his father and not wanting to go through that from the other end.

The two kids and the roommaate are definitely not fantastic, but hopefully they learn from being in a show with two of the best sitcom actors ever, and they get something interesting to do. There's definitely promise.

BlodwynPig

Wezzo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 16, 2023, 05:56:16 PMIs this on C4?

Paramount+. First episode is streaming free on Facebook (legitimately) as a taster.

BlodwynPig

Guess i'll wait 20 years for C4 breakfast repeats

touchingcloth

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 16, 2023, 02:34:43 PMI think part of the show is him wanting to change, after he's reminded of his early relationship with his father and not wanting to go through that from the other end.

The two kids and the roommaate are definitely not fantastic, but hopefully they learn from being in a show with two of the best sitcom actors ever, and they get something interesting to do. There's definitely promise.

Cheers and Frasier both introduced their main characters and the dynamics between them with bangers of opening episodes, Frasier's in particular being great.

I won't hold this series to those standards because it's a rare thing to get one belting spin-off out of anything, but I'll wait until the series has finished and make a call based on the reviews and opinions to see whether it's worth me taking another shot.

Petey Pate

A friend got this unexpected reaction to his comment on the Frasier Facebook page...

itf

Quote from: Petey Pate on October 17, 2023, 10:51:02 AMA friend got this unexpected reaction to his comment on the Frasier Facebook page...

Unfortunately it's a fake account from a scammer - you see this loads at the moment. Lots of 'heart' likes from the musician/actor etc and when you click the link it's a scam profile for the purposes of one of these types of scam - https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/oct/14/online-daters-warned-of-fraudsters-posting-fake-celebrity-profiles

(https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61552102424214 is the account)

neveragain

Episode three... ehhhhhhh. The writing is just not up to the old standard. This was most noticeable in the clip from his old TV show, supposedly highly intelligent and helpful (to counterpoint what it became, which was admittedly a fun scene) but actually without even a passable impression of intellect. And too many references to former glories.

I love Lyndhurst (that goes without saying) but the writing still disappoints. The Harvard woman is doing a very poor impression of Roz, David is intolerable and Freddy/Eve aren't too interesting either. The end credits scene was funny so that's something.

Mobbd

I haven't seen it yet because I just can't trust P+, but the cast really look like a bunch of complacent generics in that Camembert tweet. Not toyetic! Kelsey Grammer looks like he's trying just a bit too hard to convey camaraderie.

I'm probably being unfair. I'll give it a chance eventually, I'm sure. Then again, why encourage more cynical retreads of fondly remembered '90s chuckletimes?

Mobbd

Prediction Club.

Do we think the show has a future beyond ten episodes?

And do we think Grammer is paving his way to some sort of populist political career?

The latter is just a thought. Hopefully it will make me look like an idiot and I'll never have to say "called it!"

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Mobbd on October 20, 2023, 11:13:18 AMPrediction Club.

Do we think the show has a future beyond ten episodes?

And do we think Grammer is paving his way to some sort of populist political career?

The latter is just a thought. Hopefully it will make me look like an idiot and I'll never have to say "called it!"

Grammer is right-wing but I don't think he's anywhere near right-wing enough to be a Republican candidate these days. He's pro choice, pro-gay rights, appeared in La Cage aux Folles, allegedly likes to cross-dress (according to his ex-wife). And despite his libertarianism, I can't see him particularly wowing anti-establishment blue-collar voters.

frajer

Watched the first two episodes and found them perfectly pleasant, just not a patch on what's gone before.

It feels like it's desperately trying to reconfigure a previously successful set-up rather than let this new show breathe, so they are jumping the gun to try and instantly create "classic" moments that fall flat because they come across as desperate. For example the dinner over the air hockey table felt very forced, even though it was well-performed.

I'll stick with it as I didn't dislike the eps and think it will get better, but it all feels a bit of a pointless coda for now.

It definitely didn't help that I recently rewatched the first episode of the original run. Such elegant writing and pace.