Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

February 27, 2024, 07:42:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frasier 2: Tossed Plonkers and Scrambled Horses

Started by JamesTC, January 13, 2023, 07:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: frajer on October 20, 2023, 12:06:00 PMIt definitely didn't help that I recently rewatched the first episode of the original run. Such elegant writing and pace.

The opening scene of that ep does so much of a better job of setting up the premise of the Frasier series and delivering elegant exposition compared to the opening scene of Frasier 2.

I mean, one smart thing it does is open with Frasier working for the radio show. So we're straight in there with the "real sitcom" straight away. Whereas I doubt the Boston airport is going to be a set we return to a lot in Frasier 2.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 20, 2023, 11:45:09 AMGrammer is right-wing but I don't think he's anywhere near right-wing enough to be a Republican candidate these days. He's pro choice, pro-gay rights, appeared in La Cage aux Folles, allegedly likes to cross-dress (according to his ex-wife). And despite his libertarianism, I can't see him particularly wowing anti-establishment blue-collar voters.

He also lives in Portishead these days, apparently.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 21, 2023, 10:06:39 AMHe also lives in Portishead these days, apparently.

It's true, or was. A mate of mine bumped into him at someone's barbecue

dumpster

Episode one sets things up and has some weak jokes.  Episode 2 puts more setup in place and is stronger.  But when Frasier chooses to quit Harvard in episode 3 it's on form.  Freddie's glee in taunting Frasier is joyous to watch.  I really thing this will be up there with the original by the end.  I just hope they have plans for the nephew, he seems out of place at the moment.

chuckles

was anyone else jarred by frasier making a "sophie's choice" pun to his jewish son, gregg wallace style

Watched the first three and they were fine but afterwards watched the first episode of Frasier V1.0 and there were more jokes in the first five minutes of that than in the hour or so of this.

Set up seems a bit odd, hope they work out some of the flaws. Understand they want to have the reverse Frasier/ Martin dynamic but going on the quality of the cast they would be better concentrating on Rodney Plonker and the department head alongside Frasier with the youngsters acting as the straight men.

No idea they why have gone for the convoluted 'ex colleagues wife and kid set up.' Would have been easier just to have her and Freddie partner up and have Frasier coming back to Boston to be near his grandkid, after failing to do so for his son.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on October 25, 2023, 11:18:48 AMgoing on the quality of the cast they would be better concentrating on Rodney Plonker and the department head alongside Frasier with the youngsters acting as the straight men.
I hope they're smart enough, if it continues, to retool it to play to its strengths.

frajer

Watched eps 3 and 4 today while little frajer snoozed on me.

There's some absolutely great moments where the show recaptures the Frasier magic but they sit side-by-side with bland and broad scenes that feel like some other, generic show. Whenever he mentions Niles for example it strikes an off-chord as I struggle to reconcile this with the previous run.

That said I did enjoy both eps and agree that it's finding its feet. And I really like they've not lost the quieter, contemplative moments.

Moj

I really enjoyed the third episode. Rodders and Fraser having a heart to heart was an excellent moment. As was Freddie relishing the opportunity to throw his dad's lines back in his face. The flashbacks to Frasier's TV show need to continue, because Kelsey is very good at broad and goofy, and it fills in the lines nicely.

Rodney, the dept head and Freddie are growing on me. Actress Housemate and especially Niles Jr, less so.

BritishHobo

Quote from: frajer on October 26, 2023, 08:17:28 PMWatched eps 3 and 4 today while little frajer snoozed on me.

There's some absolutely great moments where the show recaptures the Frasier magic but they sit side-by-side with bland and broad scenes that feel like some other, generic show. Whenever he mentions Niles for example it strikes an off-chord as I struggle to reconcile this with the previous run.

That said I did enjoy both eps and agree that it's finding its feet. And I really like they've not lost the quieter, contemplative moments.

Yeah the references really clang for me. I think it's because the original Frasier did such a good job at being a clean break from Cheers. Apart from the "The One Where ____ Shows Up" episodes, it seemed to avoid knowing references. And the one returning character, Lilith, they continue to develop really well as part of Frasier's life, rather than A Cheers Character.

Here, it feels like they're constantly trying to remind you of the good old days of Niles and Daphne and Bulldog. But all it does is remind you how much better that was.

Also begs the question why Frasier is back in Boston but hasn't gone back to Cheers to see everyone. Imagine if they'd done that instead, making it a reverse-spin-off that just becomes the original again. Everyone still sat in that bar, unchanged, in a way that's faintly depressing.

Going back to Cheers would be tricky. Ted Danson and Woody Harrelson are probably prohibitively busy and expensive these days, and you wouldn't want to do it without the whole gang.

As for why it keeps calling back to the old Frasier, it's because it's a continuation of that show, not a spin-off, remake or reboot. I know it's listed as a different show on Paramount, IMDB, Wikipedia, etc., but that's only a technicality because it's been made by a different production company for a different broadcaster to the original. A bit like how there's Doctor Who and Doctor Who (2005) starting back at series 1.

I'm hoping they drop the references to Niles, etc. when they feel more confident that the new cast can stand on their own feet.

Mobbd

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 26, 2023, 09:37:59 PMAlso begs the question why Frasier is back in Boston but hasn't gone back to Cheers to see everyone. Imagine if they'd done that instead, making it a reverse-spin-off that just becomes the original again. Everyone still sat in that bar, unchanged, in a way that's faintly depressing.

That would have sucked. But it does prompt the question about why he hasn't been back to Cheers. One can only assume he will.

They are hungry to asset-strip old IP. As soon as Star Trek: Discovery was announced to be a prequel I thought, "oh. It's so they can have Spock in it after one season."

beanheadmcginty

I'm never going to watch this programme, but reading about how Rodney Plonker is putting in a great performance is making me feel all warm and proud for some reason. Like I'm his dad or something.

neveragain

The fire station episode wasn't too bad. Probably helps not being based around Harvard.

Bernice

The bar in Cheers being called Cheers is like the shark in Jaws being called Jaws.

Hope by the end of the season that Frasier finally works out what to do with those tossed salads and scrambled eggs I'm calling again.

Lewman

I wrote a very long and insightful post about my experience with the new series but it got lost.

So now I can't be arsed to say it all again but yeah disappointed

Must try harder

mr. logic

It all just feels so empty. Like, physically. It's weird.

gilbertharding

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 26, 2023, 09:37:59 PMAlso begs the question why Frasier is back in Boston but hasn't gone back to Cheers to see everyone. Imagine if they'd done that instead, making it a reverse-spin-off that just becomes the original again. Everyone still sat in that bar, unchanged, in a way that's faintly depressing.

Cheers has closed down, obviously. The restaurant upstairs is still there but the basement is now something else.

Even if it was still open, it's not clear what septuagenarians Sam Malone, Carla Tortelli, Rebecca Howe or Diane Chambers would still be doing there.

In fact, that's a good few reasons why he *should* go to Cheers... not that it wouldn't be depressing.

BritishHobo

Oosp

Mobbd

They'll get to Cheers one way or another, mark my words.

dontpaintyourteeth

They all get to Cheers when I'm done with them

Famous Mortimer

I can see him wandering past the former location of Cheers and being sad at how much it's changed, and maybe an occasional cameo if the ratings are struggling.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 01, 2023, 12:43:06 PMCheers has closed down, obviously. The restaurant upstairs is still there but the basement is now something else.

Even if it was still open, it's not clear what septuagenarians Sam Malone, Carla Tortelli, Rebecca Howe or Diane Chambers would still be doing there.

In fact, that's a good few reasons why he *should* go to Cheers... not that it wouldn't be depressing.

The only nice bit of the Cheers bar is the outside. I think the inside was filmed elsewhere and the inside is just a tourist trap with no warmth, feeling more like a slophouse

Oosp

Tenner says he discovers Cheers has closed down, then goes in with all guns blazing trying to buy the place, restore it to its former glory or better!, open it and who knows what else. Like his and Niles' restaurant escapade, but with deeper-seated issues at play, which can probably never be satisfactorily resolved. It would bring Lilith and (potentially) Cheers castmates into the season in a fairly natural way, a step beyond fanservice and indeed a reasonable extension of/coda to the quite sad Frasier eps where Sam, Woody, Diane etc featured (not to mention the one with the whole gang).

It'S a MeTaPhOr!! I suppose?

Note that
Spoiler alert
Frasier has already bought up an entire apartment building so that he and Freddy can live under the one roof. So he's still a) absolutely minted b) prone to ludicrously grand gestures and c) lacking in self-awareness to the point that he'd buy a building simply to embark on a project in the service of his self-actualization, despite how outsize and impulsive the endeavour might seem to those around him.
[close]

Or he'll buy Harvard

First shot of the bar post-refurb, and it's just full of eggs. Floor to ceiling eggs, nobody can move without knocking them over, causing them to break, sending him into a blind rage.

Door bursts open. It's Sam! But he's taken out at least sixteen dozen eggs already. Frasier glasses him before he can say a word.

gilbertharding

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 01, 2023, 04:43:33 PMThe only nice bit of the Cheers bar is the outside. I think the inside was filmed elsewhere and the inside is just a tourist trap with no warmth, feeling more like a slophouse

To be clear, my assertion that it had closed down was supposed to be about the in universe Cheers bar. The real life bar still seems to be there*, and (apparently) now the interior has a sort of replica of the set.

* the website for the bar is still there, but various other sources suggest the pandemic killed it...

Famous Mortimer

Famously, the last line of "Cheers" was "sorry, we're closed", so I'm not sure why it was even discussed. Do you hang out with the barflies you were friends with 30 years ago?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 01, 2023, 05:20:26 PM* the website for the bar is still there, but various other sources suggest the pandemic killed it...

They could film it here if the one in Boston has closed.