Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 16, 2024, 05:26:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frasier 2: Tossed Plonkers and Scrambled Horses

Started by JamesTC, January 13, 2023, 07:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Hope Lyndhurst goes supernova in the States, he deserves it.

Famous Mortimer

I'm not going to stop watching his brilliant comic performances because he's a fucking idiot in real life. He seems a good refutation of people like Kevin Sorbo and Gina Carano claiming they can't get acting work because they support the worst people and say the stupidest things. Although, Grammer seems smart enough to not wade into any political deep water, plus with the life he's had, I'll give him a break.

Oh, and if season 1 was working out the kinks, I think season 2 could be great. Looking forward to Lyndhurst getting an Emmy nomination, things like that.

thr0b

Aye. Grammer is the same as Tim Allen really. Shitty personal opinions but know how to work with other people and not have their opinions ruin their careers.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 18, 2024, 02:09:10 PMOh, that's a shame. I was hoping there would be a bit more interaction, but instead it's got the vibe of a weird sort of frozen tableau, like they're all waxwork figures.

Like a Disney World animatronic show

imitationleather

It's finally been renewed for a second season. It was taking so long I was half-expecting it to not happen.

I'll definitely give season 2 a look, but... I hope they can improve the overall quality.

EDIT: Just realised this was covered at the bottom of the last page. I am a right Plonker Alan.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: thr0b on February 22, 2024, 09:32:46 PMAye. Grammer is the same as Tim Allen really. Shitty personal opinions but know how to work with other people and not have their opinions ruin their careers.

That's basically it, isn't it? The kind of people who moan that they can't get work because of their politics need to realise, it's less to do with their abhorrent opinions and more to do with the fact that they won't shut the fuck up about it.

13 schoolyards

Probably doesn't hurt that they're both older gentlemen who had a fairly eventful youth and know they're on a good thing with this Hollywood business. The ones who lose jobs because of their politics often seem to be nepo types who just assume people will lap up every hateful thing they say so they never get around to shutting up.

Rankersbo

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on February 23, 2024, 10:09:03 AMThat's basically it, isn't it? The kind of people who moan that they can't get work because of their politics need to realise, it's less to do with their abhorrent opinions and more to do with the fact that they won't shut the fuck up about it.

See the discussion on Adam Buxton's attitude to cancel culture.

thr0b

Buckulees' worries about being cancelled are inversely proportional to the likelihood of it ever happening.

Even if he has dodgy opinions - and there's no evidence he does - he's not an unpleasant twat. Essentially he has anxiety.

g0m

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 22, 2024, 07:25:00 PMSeason 2 is a go!

Good stuff, I hoped the show would get the chance to find its feet. Missed this that the article refers to at the end though...

Not the most shocking news, I'll admit.

what, the guy from right-wing satire movie An American Carol??

dead-ced-dead

I liked this overall. I'm a sap, so any mention of Martin made me tear up.

I was lukewarm on David, but I prefer him as a foil for Rodney than as a foil for Frasier. By episode 6 or 7 the writers seem to get that right, though.

Still unsure about Freddy. He just seems so different from his kid version and making him a fireman who is just one of the guys seems like they're trying to make Martin 2.0 and I'm not 100% convinced that was a good move.

Nicholas Lyndhurst is great, though. Easily MVP of the supporting cast.

I think it found its footing by the end of the season, so I'm glad it's got a second season.

George White

Quote from: Glebe on February 22, 2024, 08:08:56 PMHope Lyndhurst goes supernova in the States, he deserves it.
Esp. If it stops people from constantly asking about his former co star's antics at the gliding club...

Ignatius_S

There's been various reporting (based on a story in The Sun) that Lyndhurst's character will be expanded and the writers want to explore his past.

There's also been reports that he's signed a big money deal.

BritishHobo

That's good. To be honest I was surprised how sidelined he was. There was a quote floating around before season one about how Kelsey Grammar's wife had inspired the direction of the reboot by saying that Frasier never really had a best friend; and that made me think Alan would fulfil a Roz-type role, as someone who gives a new perspective to Frasier. Instead (aside from the one episode that was a retread of the Corkmaster episode) he came off more like a Bulldog. The comic relief they wheel on from time to time.

popcorn

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 05, 2024, 09:06:58 PMThere was a quote floating around before season one about how Kelsey Grammar's wife had inspired the direction of the reboot by saying that Frasier never really had a best friend

How many great comedy characters really need best friends I wonder?

Urinal Cake

Quote from: popcorn on March 06, 2024, 12:48:18 AMHow many great comedy characters really need best friends I wonder?
Troy and Abed

Icehaven

Niles was Frasier's best friend whether they liked it or not, and there were several of episodes and plotlines that revolved around their ambivalence towards/grudging acceptance of it.

neveragain

Quote from: popcorn on March 06, 2024, 12:48:18 AMHow many great comedy characters really need best friends I wonder?

Generally characters need someone to "bounce off", have the occasional tussle with, discuss the plot in a way that advances it. But then again the definition of 'friend' can be stretched a bit. Are (e.g.) Richie and Eddie friends or just stuck together?

Toki

Hancock and Sid were far better than Hancock on his own.

Snrub

More Series 2 news and it looks like they are bringing back Roz permanently

https://deadline.com/2024/05/frasier-peri-gilpin-recurring-season-2-paramount-plus-1235910552/

I don't think this is the worst idea in the world - I do think there probably are a few too many characters, but I think it's enough of a course correction to bring enough of the original series vibe back, without chucking a load of money at David Hyde Pierce which might be too much admitting of defeat.

BritishHobo

It is quite funny to go "the big hook for this reboot is what if Frasier had a best friend" and then undercook the new character dynamics so much that you end up having to bring back Roz, his best friend.

neveragain

More Roz is promising but get some good writers back!

shoulders

I think you've chosen "great" as a bit of semantic cover there.

Great comedy characters having no best friends doesn't itself prove that's an intrinsic aspect of the best character comedy.

Best buds works in the "both as hapless as each other" dynamic but I agree outside of that you need tension and situations that test the limits of the characters civility towards on another and it's simplest and funniest to ensure that both individuals genuinely dislike some aspects of each other but do their best at most times to avoid confronting that.

Tags: