Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 02, 2024, 08:07:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daniel Kitson (from 6th March) 2023

Started by AzureSky, March 05, 2023, 10:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cakeinmilk

Quote from: itf on July 31, 2023, 11:13:38 AMSo for anyone who has been to both - does this now bear no resemblance to the WIP shows that have been happening up to now? Because the two I saw were not even loosely connected bits of stand-up - a couple of bits recurred between them but nothing that felt like the kind of show being described.

There's a few lines in there directly from the WIPs and the theme is similar.

Quote from: Tiggles on July 31, 2023, 11:02:27 AMI'm intrigued! I guess a lot of Kitson's experimental stuff has started out as "well, how am I going to make this idea work?" and he takes it from there. Are either of you going to Edinburgh? Would be fascinating to see where this ends up after a month of near-daily iterations.

I'm seeing it twice in Edinburgh, on the 6th and 10th, so both still fairly early in the run.

SteveDave

I'm going to put this in SPOILERS so don't read it if you're going to see it in Edinburgh

Spoiler alert
Everyone in the audience has a script given to them at the beginning with a number written on the front and a tag on the page where you line or lines are. The whole show is Daniel getting everyone ready to be part of the show. He looked like he was having a good time and when we saw him afterwards carrying two massive bags full of the scripts (that cost him £1,200 to print in Ryman's yesterday afternoon) he said my friend who had a section of dialogue about not wanting to say the word "arse" was fantastic. I hope he does it again in London or somewhere after Edinburgh as I'd go in a flash
[close]

Tiggles

Quote from: SteveDave on July 31, 2023, 11:57:14 AMI'm going to put this in SPOILERS so don't read it if you're going to see it in Edinburgh

I'm going but I have zero self-control so I clicked immediately.

Spoiler alert
I'm now even more excited and wish I'd booked for every day in the week I'm there (I've booked for two), each one sounds like it will be different. Did he take the scripts in at the end?
[close]

cakeinmilk

Quote from: Tiggles on July 31, 2023, 12:13:32 PMI'm going but I have zero self-control so I clicked immediately.

Spoiler alert
I'm now even more excited and wish I'd booked for every day in the week I'm there (I've booked for two), each one sounds like it will be different. Did he take the scripts in at the end?
[close]

Spoiler alert
He asked people to leave them on their seats as he needed them. I assume everyone had enough goodwill that they did. The plan for Edinburgh is to give everyone just their relevant section, rather than the full script.
[close]

kitsofan34

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 25, 2023, 08:01:38 PMLast time I saw him at Summerhall there was a queue for returns and I'm sure saw them all get in fairly easily.

Makes this response I got even more confusing.

Hi kitso,

Just taking over from my colleague here, generally I would say to avoid wasting your time that we do not recommend queuing outside the venue for returns. There may be some slim chances of people not turning up so it's up to you!

Kind regards,

There's tickets for today's show still available. Very confusing.

Tiggles

They go up on Twickets as well, and Paines Plough have also retweeted tickets available.

He sold out a lot of the run early on so no doubt there's some people who bought tickets when their plans were fluid but have decided they aren't going to Edinburgh after all.

Timothy

I managed to buy one for next week yesterday. It seems that every day for the last week there was some availability on the Edfringe website for a while so wise to keep an eye on the site now and then.

holyzombiejesus

What do people think the chances are of just turning up to one of the London Halloween shows and getting in? I know he's possibly going to announce some more of these across the UK but I kind of fancy a trip to London...

Twilkes

The thing he does at the Fringe, I'd seen (I think) Matthew Crosbie do the exact same thing at Josie Long's gala show at XS Malarkey in 2007, and  I even stole it to do at a housewarming party not long afterwards, so it wasn't the novelty that it likely was for most others. I didn't have one of the things he gave out but possibly enjoyed it more that way. They were still whole things, rather than just the part of the thing that the person needed, and Kitson still needed his thing.

Content not dissimilar to previous shows, some zingers in there, Fireworks still the best thing he's ever done that I've seen, yes that's right Daniel I just dissed your 'old man trading on past glories schtick', still enjoyed it though. :)

Tiggles

Check yer emails.

In summary:
  • extra in-person ghost story shows (mostly sold out now)
  • unlimited ticketed live stream of ghost story show on 31 Oct
  • heads up that he'll be taking his fringe thing to Bristol, but no specifics.

Hopefully he'll find a way of taking it to other places too.

AzureSky

Did anyone go and see this? It was a great night, 9 acts for £25, over 3.5 hours, bargain.

Loved Simon Munnery, first time I've seen him. His left hand is a bit broken.

Kitson was very relaxed and doing general crowd engagement throughout.
His shirt was far too small for him and he keep pulling it down, after exposing his belly 'accidentally'. Woman next to us was quite annoying, and got drunker and more vocal throughout until she was shouting along with Nish Kumar at the end. Although she helped Kitson out with crowd work by noisily eating crisps.

cakeinmilk

Quote from: AzureSky on October 17, 2023, 09:24:14 PMDid anyone go and see this? It was a great night, 9 acts for £25, over 3.5 hours, bargain.

Loved Simon Munnery, first time I've seen him. His left hand is a bit broken.

Kitson was very relaxed and doing general crowd engagement throughout.
His shirt was far too small for him and he keep pulling it down, after exposing his belly 'accidentally'. Woman next to us was quite annoying, and got drunker and more vocal throughout until she was shouting along with Nish Kumar at the end. Although she helped Kitson out with crowd work by noisily eating crisps.

Ah, were you front row then? I thought it was a really strong line up. There wasn't much I hadn't seen before in the way of material but it was a great atmosphere and Kitson was having fun. Not sure how often you've seen him, but his shirts showing a bit of belly is not anything different to usual.

Matafeo seemed to want to get her stuff out of the way as soon as possible, just a bit of an odd vibe. Sam Campbell and Rob Auton I really liked, and, though it didn't seem material, rather an anecdote, Munnery did something different to usual. He's had nerve damage in his hand for a while.

There were a lot of empty seats for a gig I thought was sold out, and a lot of people going home after the first 2/3.

AzureSky

Quote from: cakeinmilk on October 17, 2023, 10:50:30 PMAh, were you front row then? I thought it was a really strong line up. There wasn't much I hadn't seen before in the way of material but it was a great atmosphere and Kitson was having fun. Not sure how often you've seen him, but his shirts showing a bit of belly is not anything different to usual.

Matafeo seemed to want to get her stuff out of the way as soon as possible, just a bit of an odd vibe. Sam Campbell and Rob Auton I really liked, and, though it didn't seem material, rather an anecdote, Munnery did something different to usual. He's had nerve damage in his hand for a while.

There were a lot of empty seats for a gig I thought was sold out, and a lot of people going home after the first 2/3.

Yeah, front row, so I didn't see any walk outs. It was me that did the simultaneous sneeze/cough that he commented on at one point and the bit where Simon said "Do you know each other?", "Yes", "That's how you do crowd work!".

We both thought Sam was intense and strange, he acted like he was very nervous (I'm sure it was an act?). Rob Auton was great.

Seen Kitson fairly regularly since Fireworks, so plenty of times. I might have seen the belly before, but it seemed a lot more frequent here, which my partner really enjoyed.

kitsofan34

Campbell intense and strange in a good way? Or confounding?

Tiggles

Check yer emails, particularly if Bristol is somewhere reachable.

cakeinmilk

It's not nearby, but I got tickets for the 17th

madhair60

so if i'm understanding correctly this man makes the audience do the show for him?

Tiggles

Me too (for the 17/11). About time I visited Bristol.

Tiggles

Quote from: madhair60=5427075 date=1697816045so if i'm understanding correctly this man makes the audience do the show for him?

Well, he's not going to play all 303 parts.

Twilkes

Quote from: madhair60 on October 20, 2023, 04:34:05 PMso if i'm understanding correctly this man makes the audience do the show for him?

If you've ever seen a video with lots of people round the outside giving it and one person on the inside taking it, it's like that.

privatefriend

I've noticed this cunt never plays glasgow, what gives dan?

Mobbd

Quote from: privatefriend on October 20, 2023, 10:20:21 PMI've noticed this cunt never plays glasgow, what gives dan?

I saw him in Glasgow! That was in about 2004 though.

We were all making the most of smoking before the ban but he required no smoking because of his asthma. Cunt!

Tiggles

Btw, I know Kitson does a bunch of stuff around London but this line-up of another benefit he's hosting on 27 November made me incredibly wistful about not living there any more:

Sam Campbell
Daniel Kitson
Kevin Eldon
Fern Brady
Rich Fulcher
Ian Smith
Ania Magliano
Celya AB

Info here.

AzureSky

Quote from: kitsofan34 on October 18, 2023, 03:42:29 PMCampbell intense and strange in a good way? Or confounding?

Well he certainly made an impression on us, we spoke about him more than the other comedians. We'd have probably enjoyed him more if we weren't in the front row and he hadn't stared at us so much, it think it would have been a different experience further back.

Blinder Data

Quote from: privatefriend on October 20, 2023, 10:20:21 PMI've noticed this cunt never plays glasgow, what gives dan?

feels like he doesn't tour much full stop.  i suppose he doesn't have to anymore. all i ever seem to hear about is last minute gigs at the fringe and in london, and when he's got a full show it's the big cities in england or small towns in yorkshire.

DrGreggles

It's because he rarely does stand up anymore - certainly not on tour.
He does his theatre shows with a specific venue in mind, so if you don't have a space like that near you, he won't be coming.

SteveDave

Woman next to us was quite annoying, and got drunker and more vocal throughout until she was shouting along with Nish Kumar at the end. Although she helped Kitson out with crowd work by noisily eating crisps.

[/quote]

That was my wife.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: SteveDave on October 26, 2023, 08:30:54 PMThat was my wife.

Ace!

Anyone going to any of the halloween shows? I'm going all the way down to London for 2 nights! Only seeing DK for the 2nd of the Friday night shows though.