Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 02, 2024, 09:07:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedians who are secret millionaires from ads/corporate

Started by Average Comedy Enjoyer, July 28, 2023, 09:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Simon Greenall (Michael the Geordie, Monkey Dust) has been the voice of that Meerkat (who got fined for deceptive business practices) for what feels like fifteen years now. Surely he must be riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels?

Somewhat relatedly, best comedian of the last five years Amy Gledhill was the multimedia voice of Asda for the previous Christmas campaign, which in addition to half the £5 patreon money I give to the Delightful Sausage must put her in the gilded cage of billionaire comedians?

Demetrious got Waitrose and Facebook VO gigs each.

Anyone in the industry have any ballpark figures for these kind of contracts?

Got any other minted 'medians?

Jack Shaftoe

Pretty sure actor Brian Cox once said he got £30K for an ad voiceover but £300K for actually holding the product up in front of his face and saying mmmm, lovely fish pie.

It depends on the contract, as far as I know, if your agent is good, you'll get decent money, if not, it might keep you afloat for a couple of years, but not put you in millionaire territory.

Willem Dafoe (not a comedian) did those fish finger adverts before his little renaissance with Wes Anderson films, probably too expensive now

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on July 28, 2023, 09:33:53 PMWillem Dafoe (not a comedian) did those fish finger adverts before his little renaissance with Wes Anderson films, probably too expensive now

Not seen this but there's things like Harvey Kietel doing cheesy shit insurance adverts.

Do they do this shit in the US, or does pride prevent them, and doing it in the UK is easy money because it's a pocket their core audience is unlikely to see?

Jittlebags

What did Bob get for doing the Churchill 'o yus' ads in the style of Deryck Guyler?

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 28, 2023, 09:38:34 PMDo they do this shit in the US, or does pride prevent them, and doing it in the UK is easy money because it's a pocket their core audience is unlikely to see?

Ooh good point, as parodied in Lost In Translation (not a comedy), many Americans went to Japan to cash out.

I think Tommy Lee Jones is still the face off BOSS coffee, which is a huge brand of canned coffee. Schwartzenegger (famous comedy actor) also did adds for pachinko or mayonnaise or something.

But then again Dame Whatsherface (from BBC sitcoms) has been doing those dogshit insurance adverts recently. In this house the theory is she's boosting her inheritance while she's still legally compas mentis (a la Bruce Willis)

Quote from: Jittlebags on July 28, 2023, 09:41:17 PMWhat did Bob get for doing the Churchill 'o yus' ads in the style of Deryck Guyler?

Enough to bridge the gap between Catterick and the Fosters Funny shorts where he wore a rubber mask inside out and did a Mickey Looney accent

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on July 28, 2023, 09:43:57 PMBut then again Dame Whatsherface (from BBC sitcoms) has been doing those dogshit insurance adverts recently. In this house the theory is she's boosting her inheritance while she's still legally compas mentis (a la Bruce Willis)

Judi Dench in the Moneysupermarket ads?

Noodle Lizard

I just saw the cast of Breaking Bad (Walt, Jesse and Tuco anyway) doing an in-character comedy ad for some popcorn snack.

https://youtu.be/JnDsL3NJmwA

Seems it originally aired during the Super Bowl, so it will have paid them well. But at what cost?

At what cost.

ollyboro

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 28, 2023, 09:38:34 PMNot seen this but there's things like Harvey Kietel doing cheesy shit insurance adverts.

Do they do this shit in the US, or does pride prevent them, and doing it in the UK is easy money because it's a pocket their core audience is unlikely to see?

I'm sure that A list actors like De Niro and Harv used to do adverts for stuff like credit cards on the strict understanding that they wouldn't be be shown outside of Japan. Something like that.

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

I hear Spook Slither made a tenner and £9.99 of it went up his hooter.

Quote from: ollyboro on July 28, 2023, 10:33:54 PMI'm sure that A list actors like De Niro and Harv used to do adverts for stuff like credit cards on the strict understanding that they wouldn't be be shown outside of Japan. Something like that.

De Niro recently did the advert for the Kia Niro, entirely based on the weak pun. He had a very casual indifference, which seemed to suggest he had total contempt for the process. It made me respect him more, but I'm sure he doesn't need the money.

Also, googled it just now and appaz Melissa McCarthy is now brand ambassador for the same car. Mad budget

Sebastian Cobb

De Niro has done enough stinking cash-grab films for ads to not be upsetting.

Thosworth

I feel like I've been hearing Dexter 'Like getting your money's worth?' Fletcher as the voice of McDonalds since the 90s. He surely has a bulging portfolio of properties from that gig.

Twonty Gostelow

Obviously not a secret, but I'm surprised that Rob Brydon and Stephen Fry are still doing ad voiceovers - Fry, especially. He's working for Sainsbury's again.
Diane Morgan is the most ubiquitous of recent comedians voicing adverts, I think.

Twonty Gostelow

Quick heads-up: you can't afford Katherine Ryan so don't get your hopes up.

Icehaven

De Niro did a Hovis ad not that long ago didn't he?

dead-ced-dead

Kevin Bacon being the face of EE for what feels like a million years now.

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on July 29, 2023, 06:24:27 AMKevin Bacon being the face of EE for what feels like a million years now.

But the word on the street is he lost it all in a Ponzi scheme so he's just digging up.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on July 29, 2023, 06:44:47 AMBut the word on the street is he lost it all in a Ponzi scheme so he's just digging up.

Oh, I didn't know that. In that case, earn that cheddar, Kevin!

Besides, even if he was just earning for earning's sake, he gets a lifetime pass for Tremors alone.

I'm also reminded of the time when Matt King (superhans) basically did his character in all but name for First Direct I think.

Stephen Mangan an Julian Rhynd-Tutt did the same for Barclays as their Green Wing characters but at least Matt King's pushed those execrable Tom Wrigglesworth platypus ones off the air.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Icehaven on July 29, 2023, 05:50:17 AMDe Niro did a Hovis ad not that long ago didn't he?

Warburtons- Sylvester Stallone and The Muppets have also. Though sadly not all at the same time

Small Man Big Horse

My Uncle did this advert decades ago for Qualcaste Concorde (a posh lawn mower rather than anything exciting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBCg_9nuRw4), and they flew the whole cast and crew over to Europe as they couldn't find "the right kind of grass" in the UK. I don't know how much he got paid, but with the money for his sitcom and a number of various adverts he's done pretty well for himself.

Adverts used to pay huge amounts in the 70s and 80s but there's been a definite decrease in the amount paid now, though I'm sure your Fry's and Brydon's can still pick up a big pay day,

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

Sean Bean must have cracked a grand or two from his many many years of O2 voiceovers. Never appeared on camera though.

kalowski

Quote from: Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub on July 28, 2023, 10:46:00 PM

I hear Spook Slither made a tenner and £9.99 of it went up his hooter.
You'll all be doing it tomorrow.

Pranet

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 29, 2023, 12:00:04 AMObviously not a secret, but I'm surprised that Rob Brydon and Stephen Fry are still doing ad voiceovers - Fry, especially. He's working for Sainsbury's again.

Michael Fenton-Stevens has mentioned getting £60000 for doing one line on an advert in the 80s or 90s so I guess the answer is, why wouldn't you?

Quote from: Pranet on July 29, 2023, 07:43:38 AMMichael Fenton-Stevens has mentioned getting £60000 for doing one line on an advert in the 80s or 90s so I guess the answer is, why wouldn't you?

Was just relistening to this to get the sum, at the 30 min mark he says:

Ten minutes work for Barclays, to go on ten international TV spots. His agent said Equity rules means it should be £120k but they got £55k.

Seems to imply this was ~1992, and coincidentally £55k adjusted for inflation is around £120k these days (obviously minus tax and agency)

Des Wigwam

Far from a secret millionaire but does Hugh Laurie do voiceovers anymore? Can he still do a Bertie Wooster voice or just that terrible American accent? And it is terrible.

Still like to say "Bit like Duncan" every now and then but it's more a muscle memory than being able to say when.

beanheadmcginty

Julia Louis Dreyfus is the daughter of an actual billionaire

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 29, 2023, 08:45:12 AMJulia Louis Dreyfus is the daughter of an actual billionaire

The old fashioned kind of double barrelled name you get from being the product of two aristocratic families, rather than unwed or divorced parents.